Keen and Improved Critical

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by maalri, Sep 30, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. maalri

maalri Immortal

Just to be sure, these stacked in 3.0 (and I STILL think they should!) but not in 3.5

Since ToEE started in the 3.0, then got upgraded at the last moment to 3.5, did they catch this?

In this game, does Keen and Imp. Crit stack?

If not, does the Rapier still have a Crit range of 18-20, and will Improved Crit take that to 16-20?

If not, what is the best weapon (with and without enhancements) and/or Feat for a Fighter to take to get the best Crit chance in this game?

Thanks ahead of time

m

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

The great cleaver is 1d10dmg, critical 17-20x3 and is keen. Only Scather and the Frostbrand top it.

3. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

The scythe is an awesome weapon, with its 2d4 damage and x4 critical. With Improved Critical, I seem to get several crits every fight with an enlarged, raging half orc barbarian. I've also dual wielded picks before (x4 as well).

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

So Fruella's Great Cleaver really has the best Threat Range of any Critical? that is great for her, and I do use Fru, but:

As that is a ToEE only weapon, I am not inclined to choose it. I kind of want a "normal" weapon.

The Scythe sounds wonderful GG, with the x4, but I really am kind of happy with a x2 or x3, I was mostly going for the largest threat range. What is the Threat Range on the Scythe?

Does anyone know if my Rapier/Imp Crit idea is feasable? Rapier SHOULD have a 18-20 Threat Range, and with Imp Crit, that SHOULD take it to 15-20.

By my calculations that is better than a 25% Critical Hit ratio! (Providing it is confirmed, of course.) Also, I am not sure if the Rapier has x2 or x3, but x3 would rock.

Any more input?

Last edited: Oct 3, 2011
  5. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Keen rapiers (or Imp Critical Rapier) should crit on 15-20.

6. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

My friend played with a scythe on one of his characters and said that it has a normal threat range.

7. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Falchions.
    2d4, normal threat range 18-20. Can be quite ridiculous with Keen / Improved Critical.

8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I will 2nd Sitra Achara statement above. Best overall weapon for shear killing power. If you want to use a blunt weapon, use the heavy flail or the great hammer.

For the best crit capability, then a keen scythe will do the job, combines with burst enhancements. Watch the pretty fireworks as you combust, freeze, and shock them all about. hehe :D

9. Sanctuary

Sanctuary Constitutionalist!

In regards to the Critical weapons...

Picks & the Scythe normally crit on a 20, though they are x4.

Rapier & Falchion are the best critting weaps as they are 18-20. So Keen/Improved crit drops them to 15-20. Those would be your best choices I think for the greatest crit range. I would choose the Falchion personally as it's a slashing weapon.

Obviously...yes, the Keen & Improved Crit does not stack in ToEE. (I think in fairness that I agree that they should NOT stack...there is the "spirit" of the game to think about, imo.)

Good questions...

God Bless.

10. Lava

Lava Established Member

Rapier is only 2d6 on a crit, so you might as well use a bigger weapon that doe that on a normal strike, let alone a crit. Rapier damage isn't high enough to justify its use solely for the threat range.

11. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

I think the rapier's primary advantage is that it can be finessed.

12. Sanctuary

Very nice weapon to use Weapon Finesse with.

13. shapecharge

shapecharge Established Member

If you take the singham (sp), exotic weapon feat you can use the Jian which is a 1d8 slashing weapon just like the long sword with a 17-20 crit range, still can be used with a shield or a dual wielder which the Falchion cannot.

14. Sanctuary

Excellent point.

15. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

This is true of the Rapier too, without the need for expending a feat in most cases. Of course the Jian is 1d8 slashing as opposed to 1d6 piercing for the Rapier.

Our Host!