just Listen!

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Shiningted, Sep 2, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Has anyone noticed the Listen skill actually doing anything? Ie they were creeping behind some monster or something without passing in front of it (across its line of sight) and the monster still caught them?

I have had some lvl 1 noobs traipsing up and down behind a guard with 16 in listen (a fighter so that equates to a listen score of 8 I guess) with Skill Focus (Listen) and a +1 Wisdom modifier, and this guard doesn't have a clue. Even an encumbered lvl 1 character in chain armour, chain boots on a stone floor stomping around a foot behind him doesn't attract his attention - he takes no notice at all until the PC crosses his line of sight.

Which begs the question, does the damn skill do anything, or should we perhaps ask Spellslinger to see if it is bugged? Has anyone had any Listen-based experiences?

Attached Files:

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I have never seen Listen produce any results. (which begs the question, does spot do anything, as well?)

3. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

spot works, I failed a sleight of hand attempt about an hour ago - I was spoted. didn't listen used to do something, IIRC my characters with a high listen wouldn't start flatfooted.

4. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

That is one thing listen is supposed to be useful for...

When running an encounter in P&P, the DM makes hide and move silent checks for NPC's and makes a note of the results. PC's make spot and listen checks against those rolls (modified by circumstance - EG cover or closed doors between the groups). If the PC's are sneaking they too must make hide and move silent checks against the PC's.

If you pass your skill checks for spot and listen, you can act in the surprise round (a round where only those who are aware of danger can act), once all non-surprised combatants have had thier turn, regular combat starts. those who acted in the surprise round are obviously not flatfooted during the first regular combat round others are flatfooted until their turn in the initiative order.

In my experience, this doesn't happen in ToEE. The whole spot + listen VS hide + move silently never happens - so there are no surprise rounds.

5. Shiningted

Yah, gotcha there (although it may have some small benefit based on Cujo's comments) but what about failing a listen check when sneaking past? We have all failed spot checks while scouting I dare say (rare though it is), do we fail listen checks against move silently?

I better check a SNEAKING fighter encumbered with chain boots etc... I swear, if he gets caught sneaking but NOT moving normally (cause he is not making a move silently check) I will throw my 19" monitor through the window :rant:

6. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

hey encumbered fighter don't try sneaking - just chuck on a ring of invisablity, you can pretend you're a ghost with rattleing chains

7. Shiningted

O gad its true, its true! Wandered a leather-clad (female) cleric behind the guard, and hit 'sneak'. She didn't even have time to actually move before her move Silently check failed and the guard noticed her. :roll:

So Listen works, but only if u r trying to be quiet, not when u r stomping around noisily... :yawn:

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

What's the INT and WIS of the PC in question? Is the PC a blonde? When she started sneaking, did she blurt out, "Hey guy, I need you to listen closely and tell me if you can hear me since I just started sneaking." :D

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@Ted: Try having the female begin sneaking before she gets anywhere close to the guard and see if it makes a difference.

10. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

:shame: That was bad, even for you, Kap'n.

Will the BS never end? Not that we should be surprised, or anything, given the history we're dealing with. Fortunately, there's been some progress recently by the new blood. Perhaps this 'mole' will get whacked, too?

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Ok. I threw in a blonde joke. Sorry.

12. JerryB

JerryB Established Member

Maybe I've become warped, but that actually makes sense in a bizarre sort of way. Listen opposes move silently, so the problem is that people moving about in a normal fashion are not making move silently checks.

What would it take for the game to generate move silently checks, which would of course fail, when someone is not sneaking? I'd be willing to bet that it could be written into whatever happens when you move, somewhat like when the game check's to see if you trigger an atttack of opportunity.

What do you suppose the odds are that it's another thing that was started by Troika, but not finished?

13. Shiningted

Yeah I agree Jerry, there is logic to this lunacy, and I guess the alternative is endless listen checks by the NPCs: but its still ridiculous. Create constant Move Silently checks? Hmm I dunno, thats more of a Spellslinger question, but if it works... :)

Krunchy: you're right, I'll test more thoroughly (if it triggers if u start to Move Silently but not when you go past Moving Silently, then that makes the damn thing worse than useless: it becomes positively diabolic).

A better blonde joke might have been to ask if there was a blonde bard nearby singing, "sneak, sneak, sneak silently past the stupid guard!" But that's against the rules (thankfully).

14. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

Well, the easiest solution would be to let the guard partrol around. In the age of stealthy rogues, who would rely on his ears alone anyway? ;)
    While playing TOEE I actually never noticed having managed to run up to hostiles unnoticed. Are they always facing the party's way?

I'll take a look if there is some easy way to handle this in the dll, but I kind of doubt it.

15. Shiningted

There are patrolling guards: I just happened to use a non-patrolling one to test. And the guards can be programmed to spin around and check in the other direction at each way point: but it still a bit of a silly situation to be in for obvious reasons.

If you can think of anything, Spellslinger, that'd be good :wave: Otherwise I will see if there is a way of scripting skill checks in ol' faithful, Mr Heartbeat (ahhh the heartbeat - u just can't live without it :grin: ).

Our Host!