Java for Game Development

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Anthropoid, Jan 15, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. Anthropoid

Anthropoid Established Member

So what do you guys think of Java for game developing?

I ask because, I'm an early retired professor of anthropology, and I'm exploring the dream of building the best Civilization-esque game of all time.

Main thing: world map needs to be fricking huge, like say 600,000 cells/tiles/hexes in it (in order to achieve a roughly Earthlike size with each cell at about 25 miles across [the closest distance between any of the worlds largest modern cities, say Baltimore and D.C., or those two German cities that are really close].

Minecraft worlds are the only game worlds I'm aware of that are anywhere near that size, so that is perhaps partly why I leaned toward Java.

http://imgur.com/r/Minecraft/SapMr

Think of Civ even the most advanced incarnation like Civ 5: no physics to speak of, no NPCs or characterization to worry about, Its basically a giant database, including false 3d graphics and animations of hundreds of different objects (units, buildings, terrain, etc.) in which stuff interacts with the players actions and the other items in the database . . . and so the story unfolds.

Our Host!