IWDTOEETC Progress?

Discussion in 'Icewind Dale Total Conversion' started by Endarire, Jul 1, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

(Icewind Dale Temple of Elemental Evil Total Conversion that acronym is.)

Greetings, all!

I'm curious what the status of this project is.

2. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The Demo version is complete, there has been little progress beyond that in the last 2 and a half years as I have previously stated elsewhere on the forum.

The maps that needed graphical edits have been completed, I would have added the maps to the game but hit a snag with the world map locations that have been added already, basically I want to revert to the Co8 8.1.0 Temple.dll, replace all the maps I need to replace with IWD maps to insure the world map works correctly, alter the world map icon locations, and world map pathways, then make alterations to temple.dll to alter game.area numbers, Cleric domains and favoured weapons etc... Then adding the monsters and NPC's to the rest of the game should be childsplay.

Loial likes this.
  3. Loial

Loial Member

This is amazing news. Keep up the hard work !

4. Endarire

Since Ted seemingly did the map and overworld route replacement with KotB, what about using that as a base?

5. Allyx

Firstly, I did the route replacement for KotB's world map and Secondly, that is not the issue I have.

The world map issue I have is hard to explain, but basically using the world map makes the game unresponsive at all.

The world map comes up, the path way to the other location works (sometimes it's backwards, but it works - I can fix that bit) but arriving at the new location drops you into darkness (I guess the arrival co-ordinates are wrong - I can figure out how to fix that too), but attempting to travel back to any other world map location from this (or any other world map location I've tried) causes the game to become unresponsive.

The cursor moves, but does nothing, pressing ESC to bring up the menu does nothing, hovering over the world map buttons no longer makes the sounds they usually make occur, and the only way to stop it is to end the program in task manager.

I know that the issue is caused by some change made in Temple.dll, but at this point I have altered the file extensively. All of the domains and favoured weapons of all of the Gods have been changed, I have altered the Game.Area numbers for a number of the early maps, Ted has changed the world map icon locations for each of the world map buttons, and possibly other forgotten alterations to the file have occurred, and I cannot find the error that has broken the game - hence the reason I have to rebuild it from scratch.

I appreciate your enthusiasm for all things ToEE modding related at the moment @Endarire, my own enthusiasm however has taken a significant dent.

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I have a suggestion then. Why not focus on the "Child's Play" part, get it done first, make a beta release (with map transitions using teleports/doorways instead), and then polish up the map part while also taking feedback and fixing bugs?

To be honest I doubt that placing monsters and adding NPCs is really child's play, but at the end of the day that is the meat of the game. Stuff like map icons and paths is ultimately icing on the cake. From the looks of it, if you want to go for a perfect release, it will take forever (if it's ever released at all). In my opinion it is better to cut corners and deliver something than to press on with an endless list of tasks.

Sorry if I sound like a broken record but I'd be sad to see all that work go to waste. You have something great going and I hope you can bring it to completion.

Oleg Ben Loleg likes this.
  7. Loial

Loial Member

What's the rush ?

8. Endarire

+1 to Sitra's suggestions. I'd rather have a version that's functional but lacks the traditional overworld map than a stunted demo.

The original EverQuest had boat routes that stopped working and were replaced by teleporters that, at least for a long time, were intended to be replaced by working boat paths.

9. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

"I have a suggestion then. Why not focus on the "Child's Play" part, get it done first, make a beta release (with map transitions using teleports/doorways instead), and then polish up the map part while also taking feedback and fixing bugs?
    To be honest I doubt that placing monsters and adding NPCs is really child's play, but at the end of the day that is the meat of the game. Stuff like map icons and paths is ultimately icing on the cake. From the looks of it, if you want to go for a perfect release, it will take forever (if it's ever released at all). In my opinion it is better to cut corners and deliver something than to press on with an endless list of tasks.
    Sorry if I sound like a broken record but I'd be sad to see all that work go to waste. You have something great going and I hope you can bring it to completion."

I have to be honest that is the reason why I lost interest in that project some time ago.
    I don't think that this will ever come to an end.

10. Loial

Loial Member

I am just appreciative that the demo exists at all. It's neat ! For a hobby project , for which the creators are sacrificing their free time to make without payment , I wouldn't complain .

11. Oleg Ben Loleg

Oleg Ben Loleg Established Member Supporter

First of all, you are absolutely right. Allyx has ervery right to do it his way. I just doubt it will ever be finished that way.
    Ok, and to see the great demo and to know it will probably never come much further is at least sad.
    If Allyx started a donation campaign so he could spend more time on the project I would definetly donate 20-30 bucks fot it.

anatoliy likes this.
  12. Allyx

Regrettably receiving payment for modding games without permission to do so would most likely cause more problems than it solves.

13. Allyx

Newsflash: I have found which of the temple.dll edits caused my broken worldmap issue and have reverted back to the original code in that location thus solving that particular problem.

FDR4PREZ likes this.
  14. Loial

Loial Member

This is ridiculous ! The co8 patch has gotten a sticky thread on gog.com , where the game is being sold ...

Life is unfair I guess , but if you wanted to post a bitcoin wallet address I think you might have some sympathizers ...

15. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

He'd also likely get a lawsuit... Intellectual Property law isn't great for modders...

Our Host!