Idea: Talking Weapons

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by maggit, May 1, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

I had an idea of making talking weapons.
    All we would need is a script launching dialogues
    in certain areas so that they show that they're
    living and thinking, as well as the possibility to talk
    to them any time one wants. This could be done the
    way Lareth's journal is done. Sounds reasonable, eh?
    Now, I'm not saying we have to do this for ToEE
    because this would require a GROSS amount of
    work but some it could be used in new projects
    (like KotB).

2. Cuchulainn

Cuchulainn Windmill Tilter

Ted was playing around with this idea a while back, don'r remember what the final stumbling block was though.

Cuchulainn.

3. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

They should have all the bells & whistles if they can talk...like alignments, special powers, etc. How cool would that be?

4. funkyboy_360

funkyboy_360 Hackmaster +12

That's a wonderful Idea....This talking weapon concept was used in both BGII & NWN
    Both Enserric <longsword,nwn> and Lilarcor <two handed sword,BGII> could talk...

If there's such a weapon created it would make up for the lack of party Interjections which was originally lacking in TOEE making the game a bit more lively..and realistic too:blahblah: :blahblah:

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There were a couple drawbacks:

1) Weapons like that would be powerful: no-one makes a +1 dagger with a personality. A bit overpowered for KotB.

2) The idea sprang from trying to get the combat comments to work (ie the critical hit boasting, critical miss mocking etc that were recorded for the NPC followers but never used). Agetian showed that the scripts for san_critical_hit etc were actually designed to be attached to weapons, not NPCs. However, along with many of the script attachments, these were not implemented in ToEE as far as we can tell (you can write san_critical_hit scripts but the game won't recognise them). So what I had in mind didn't seem doable, and I didn't pursue the idea past some basic testing to make sure it didn't work (and it didn't).

The basic idea of a sword that chats to you like a journal, though, is very definitely doable if anyone wants to pursue that idea :)

6. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Didn't swords have ego and intelligence and talked telepathically with the wielder, like Stormbringer and Elric. If the swords ego/intell was higher than the wielder, then it had control. Is it still in the game?

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Yes, that is true, but not for all magic swords. It was possible for magic swords to have ego and intelligence, but not all of these types of swords talked aloud. If a sword had ego and intelligence and talked aloud, it had some basic magic powers and spell casting ability and, maybe - but not all, had some arcane artifact type of major power and spell casting ability.

8. Lord_Spike

Some blades were merely aligned, and acted persnickity when there was a conflict with the wielder. As far as this goes, Scather & its kin all have alignments, and don't function for someone of differing beliefs. Maybe we should start there. I'm a bit tired of people exploiting this & saying the game is too easy or some such other crap.

9. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Hmm... we could add aligned weapons easily (eg my Blade of Spite and Blade of Fury), BUT to 'align' them we have to make them of this or that alignment (obviously) so they also do the extra damage to diametrically opposed alignments. So they become more powerful that way.

10. Lord_Spike

That's kinda not good, then, for those uber-weapons. A thing in the code, I'm guessing. Too bad.

11. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Scather can detect evil and they enter a room full of bugbears. There's a lot of evil in this room. They must be destroyed and goes after nearest bugbear. The poor wielder has to go to, of course, but might not want to. There are complications. Being able to cast fireball would be a good thing. It could get interesting.

12. funkyboy_360

funkyboy_360 Hackmaster +12

Yes ShiningTed ur not wrong .... a sword with a personality has to be strong:yes:

but u guys could boil it's power down to +3 , just like Lilarcor...and maybe a basic protection bonus along with it ...:doublethu

and maybe a few rants or interjections when crafting it .....

:blahblah:

13. kio11

kio11 Established Member

lilarcor didnt care who we cut. he just loved it. maybe he was chatoic evil

14. Icer_Xx

Icer_Xx The Bane of Fire

i think it would be awesome if there were talking weapons, sorry it i sound like a moron, but im a new addition to the D&D fan club lol

15. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Some intelligent weapons can talk, this isn't a new idea, or just confined to Co8, it's been in the DMG for at least the last 2.5 editions ;)

Intelligent weapons are very rare however, and usually have their own agenda, whether it be killing Orcs in a holocaust style killing spree or returning to particular former master, they can however only gain control of the wielding PC when the PC low on hit points - unless the weapon's ego is insanely high. ;)

Our Host!