I Think I Found How To Fix The No Loot Sp2 Problem :)

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by medweasel, Sep 9, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. medweasel

medweasel Member

Hey Everyone, I was having the problem where I couldn't loot after I installed SP2 on my Windows XP which also contains directx 9.0c and after I Installed it I was having the same problems as everyone else, not being able to loot, except for in Combat Mode C and I also couldn't open doors and was getting erros when exiting. I just did something very simple which solved the problems for me, I can now loot. I now also have a hand cursor on the doors which I can open once more where before all I had was a arrow on it and they wouldn't open.

Here's the solultion: Go to directx website and download directx 9.0c I know it doesn't make much sense or you're saying I already have directx 9.0c which I got with SP2 when I installed it but here's what I just learned.

I just read on a bulletin board that the directx 9.0c included with the SP2 download was a beta version and to get the complete version you should go to Directx's site and redownload directx 9.0c and install it. From what I read the only difference is one .dll file which is included with the one on their website.

Anyway, I figured before I tried a destructive recovery I would give that a try so I downloaded Directx 9.0c and installed it, restarted the computer when it was through and now TOEE works great. This may explain why no one could figure out if it was SP2 or directx 9.0c and why some people with both of them could loot while others couldnt. I sincerely hope this is the fix for the problem and if it works for you, please post it here for everyone else. Thank you. I hope this helps someone.

Here's where I downloaded my new directx 9.0c version at:

http://www.microsoft.com/downloads/...20-bfbb-4799-9908-d418cdeac197&DisplayLang=en

Please give it a try, I know it sounds corny but it fixed my problem.

2. medweasel

medweasel Member

Then again, Maybe Not - Still having problems Looting

Well Crap @#%$%$, I am still having trouble looting. I was able to loot at the moathouse but nowhere else it seems. Although I can still open doors which was my biggest problem. If anyone else has had any luck with this method or any other, please let me know. I would really like to loot and since I don't have a Windows xp CD I can't use that Directx Uninstaller :( I am about to try and do a recover and just set my computer back to the manufacturers setting. This is so annoying. They should put in BOLD red letters that Directx 9.0c is included with SP2, grrrr.
    Well, sorry about this, it doesn't look like this is a total cure. I'm glad I can open doors at least though. If I find anyway to fix it, I'll post it.

3. medweasel

medweasel Member

Fixed it by uninstalling directx 9.0c but have it again since I had to have 9.0c for

Well, I did manage to fix it for a while. I had to do a destructive recovery on my pc which got rid of the directx 9.0c I was able to loot and open doors with no problems. Well, I got the Sims 2 and it wouldn't install unless I have directx 9.0c which I installed and now I can't loot again. I can loot in combat mode. Also if i stand real close to a body and keep clicking on it over and over sometimes I can loot it but it takes a while sometimes. Also, I have noticed that my characters always have courage on all the time excepty for my paladin, don't know if this is normal or not. I can open doors still but this really bites. I wish Atari would support this game the way they do other games like NWN or something. If they're gonna take the time to put it out and charge us for it then they should fix it.

4. ordinaryjones

ordinaryjones Established Member

Paladins get aura of courage at third level, which gives party members within 10 feet a +4 morale bonus against fear, and gives the paladin immunity to fear.

5. darkentrees

darkentrees Member

Well, I tried reinstalling dx9.0c over SP2 from the link you provided, but it ran so fast it lead me to believe it saw 9.0c was already installed and did'nt do any real install (for a 33meg download, it would take a few seconds at least before completing) Do you know which dll is the odd one out? I still can loot, but just have to use the 'C' key to do it while in combat mode. I do still get the CDT error on exit from the game, but this does'nt seem to be hurting anything. Any new developments on this problem? Ideas?

6. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

I didnt foolishly install SP2 over and existing install, this only means trouble (I installed the beta, and made a clean install when the final came out), you can download the full install, and use it to create a windows install CD with SP2 integrated.

I did so, installed the game, patched to v2, put the nocd EXE... ran it, and it works fine with not a single problem....

I doubt its the copy protection, so I think its just faulty installs (people mentioned stuff about direcX failing to update properly).

Here is a simple yet detailed guide on how to make an integrated SP2 CD http://www.theeldergeek.com/slipstreamed_xpsp2_cd.htm

And remember, NEVER install a service pack from MS, and NEVER do an "update" install of a new version of windows. Always make a clean install with the new version.

Our Host!