How to RUN?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by ConjurerDragon, Jul 14, 2015.

Remove all ads!
  1. ConjurerDragon

ConjurerDragon Established Member Supporter

In my current playthrough (8.1.0) I had the situation that my Rogue/Sorcerer sneaked ahead to scout the location of the giant in Emridy Meadows.

After finding the bear, giant and the scattered loot on the ground I picked up what was reachable by my R/S and because she walked so slow sneaking I had her stop sneaking. And at the same time the giant and bear noticed me - so either the Invisibility of the ring I aquired from Furnok had worn off or ended when I ended sneaking and combat started. With the rest of my party several screens away... :suprised:

So I wanted to have my ohter parymembers RUN as fast as they can towards my R/S to join the fight.

My problem is that I can´t get them ro actually - run. I can click a place for them to walk to and I can select the yellow RUN command from the radial menu under movement. However when I clicked RUN and want to select a destination outside the visible range of the character it turns the running line to red with an angle at the place of the visible range and telling me that running needs a straigt line.

o.k. I can understand that running needs a straight line just like charging.
    And it works as long as I have a PC run within it´s visible range. However even in Emridy Meadows with nothing but green grass in my way I can´t get any of the PC´s to RUN to a point outside their visible range...

Any idea what I´m doing wrong?

2. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

TBH, I've never even tried to use the "Run" option. But after experimenting with it, I believe there are 2 different thing going on.

1) It looks like you can't run beyond the limits of the darkened "fog of war" areas, even the lightly darkened areas that you have already visited before. This may be an undeveloped limitation, or just a plain old bug.

2) Also, something that limits running in a direct straight line for a long distance is the way that the pathnodes are set up for any particular map. Whenever you move a long distance on a map, your movements are guided along shorter "paths" that have been laid out to get to your destination. That's where you can sometimes see the path bend and turn red when you try to run a long distance.

To get a feel for these pathnodes, get out of combat in Emridy meadows and click one of your characters at a far away distance, and then watch carefully as they go there. You will see that they don't run in a straight line to that point, but rather they run in smaller connected straight lines along the way. They are following these paths.

To see what these paths look like, see the first image in this thread on pathnoding. Feel free to read the thread to for a deeper discussion.

Our Host!