Hommlet quest questions

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by r0gershrubber, Dec 23, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. r0gershrubber

r0gershrubber Member

I just started Co8 7 and I have a few questions.

Rannos and Gremag:
    When I played Co8 6, I beat these guys up and took there stuff. Now they keep running away when I attack them. Is this a change from v6? Is there a way around it short of killing them in the first round?

Black Jay and the Goblin:
    I remember a goblin near the church which had a ring that belongs to Black Jay from v6. For some reason I can't get that quest and the goblin is not showing up. Has that been removed in v8? Could it be related to the fact that I have the CG vignette?

Thanks.

Edit: I see that there is a new plot with Rannos and Gremag if they do escape, so it's OK if I don't take them out. I'm still curious if there is a reliable way to defeat them. They're a fun, challenging combat for a 1st level party.

Last edited: Dec 23, 2011
  2. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Rannos and Gremag - I think that change has been there at least since 5.5.0 if not earlier. I think it just triggers earlier/more reliably now. You can still kill them if you manage to do so within one round.

Black Jay and the Goblin - also a very old change, the ring is still there, but it happens to have been a snack for a certain monster. The "certain monster" changes with alignment, so it's fairly random. You'll find it if you keep checking corpses ;)

Edit - oh yes there is a plot. Were you been visited by an assassin? That's usually the way I trigger it, though I guess you can also do that if you force combat with them. I won't spoil it, but just let it be for a while, and I promise that what you thought was a challenging fight for level 1 characters will turn out to be a challenging fight for level 5-6 characters.

3. r0gershrubber

r0gershrubber Member

So I think I found the ring (CG party: one of the snakes in HB had a platinum ring), but I can't get Jay to initiate the quest. Perhaps the problem is that it was blocked by immediately asking about the CG vignette?

4. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Nah, it should have appeared much sooner than HB. Jay's ring has an inscription on it so you'll know you have the right one. I've found it on various critters in Deklo, the Moathouse, maybe EM. All fairly early, non-NC locations. If you missed it, try going back to those locations and tab a lot, it could still show up on the ground if the critter has decomposed already.

Good luck, but you may have skip this quest until the next playthrough.

5. r0gershrubber

r0gershrubber Member

Should Jay have initiated the quest before I found the ring? I can't get him to say anything about it.

6. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Jay doesn't initiate the quest. You simply find the ring and complete it, AFAIK.

7. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you have the ring in your inventory the option of "Is this your ring" will be in your dialog with Black Jay.

Our Host!