Holy Word

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by chano, Feb 14, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. chano

chano Established Member

I have been playing a good party for once mostly to try out holy word spell.
    Can it really be that a level 7 spell is the most powerful in the game.

It doesn't affect my characters as they are good but it kills almost everything else.

I have read the rules and it should only kill creatures at casters level -10 but it seems to kill much more than that.

If it doesn't kill, it deafens and paralyze the rest.

IMO it is too powerful

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

What version of the game are you playing? If an older one that may be why it seems to be a massive death spell. I think that was fixes by the 7.0 NC version.

3. chano

chano Established Member

I am playing 7.0NC,, i have the slaverfight left to do, will try to use on them to see what happens.
    tried Weird versus hextorites killed 14 guys at once so that one is definately more powerful than holy word.

Could be that i a remembering wrong and holyword only killed low level guys,

4. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well let us know when you can. I have not yet played 7.0 so can not say myself how effective Holy Word is in that version.

5. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Against large groups I'd recommend Prismatic Spray. Wow that is a cool spell.

6. chano

chano Established Member

I was most likely wrong, holy word was not that effective vs slavers.

forgot to do that fight earlier and on level 20 its a walk over.

5 level 20 vs 7 level 20 should not be that, weird killed 3 first round and 3 more in round 2 and none of my characters was seriously injured

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

We can't make 'em any tougher than level 20, chano. :shrug:

8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

maybe give them all Mantles of Spell Resistance or they are all Drow with cake makeup to throw you off with the pictures we see of them. :)

9. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

Weird does seem a bit overpowered. I just tried it in WotGS and wiped out 15 enemies in one use.

10. chano

chano Established Member

Well, it's ok.
    I usually do this fight much earlier, just wanted to try out a few things on a high level party.
    Weird is insanely powerful it wipes out almost everyting,, i will choose not to use that in the future.

About level 20, is that the absolute highest the game can handle or is it the level that you guys chose when starting to mod the game?

11. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Level 20 is as high as you can go in the standard D&D game in the 3.5 edition. There are rules for going above 20th level, called Epic Levels, but they are not core rules.

12. chano

chano Established Member

Ok, did not know that.

So after level 20 its more or less crafting or settling down.
    I guess i never played the 3.5 rules PnP

13. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

If you or anyone else wanted to play 20+level Epic Characters, you can get a feel for it in the NWN 1 and 2 games. Not core rules and they side step some of the basic stuff, but you can get an idea of what an epic character can be.

YMMV so take this for what you will.

14. hellblazer

hellblazer Established Member

It seems like an overpowered 7th level spell. If you are 17th level it will instanly blind and paralize an unlimited amount of Beblilith's created with the 9th level Gate spell (monster summoning spell) that are within range even if they had 1st edition spell resistance of 100% for 1-10 minutes. This power is super powerful on extra-planatary beings as it gives the good cleric an ability superior to all monsters that an Evil cleric could only dream of having over even one subset of mobs. It has insane power and should really only work against undead much as the evil clerics turn ability does. It makes absolutely no sense that flesh and bone creatures from another planet would have some achiles weakness like this especially considering the fact that prime material plane is as much a "home" plane to the left as the right.

If the spell was cast on either (R)good or (L)evil home plane then I understand the dramatic effects either way.

In 2nd edition when 7th level priest spells were the highest level:

Holy Word Combat 0 Special 30' radius V 1 None -

If on home plane, drives other planar creatures back to own plane. Also effects those of different alignments: -4HD, kills; 4-7HD+, paralyzes; 8-11+HD, Slows 2d4 rds; 12+HD, deaf 1d4 rds.

It effects all creatures in radius with an alignment other then what your Cleric is. Get out of the way Paladin!!!!!

In 3.5 with 9th level priest spells the highest level:
    They tied the effects to caster level and increased the radius by 33% while keeping it a level 7 spell.

Holy Word Combat 0 Special 40' radius V 1 None -

Equal to caster level Deafened
    Up to caster level –1 Blinded, deafened
    Up to caster level –5 Paralyzed, blinded, deafened
    Up to caster level –10 Killed, paralyzed, blinded, deafened

The effects are cumulative and concurrent. No saving throw or spell resistance is allowed against these effects.

Deafened: The creature is deafened for 1d4 rounds.

Blinded: The creature is blinded for 2d4 rounds.

Paralyzed: The creature is paralyzed and helpless for 1d10 minutes.

Killed: Living creatures die. Undead creatures are destroyed.

In 2nd edition the extra planatary creatures summoned by the 9th level mage spell would only be deafened for 1-4 rounds. Heck, it wouldn't even parlalize any creature with 8 or more hit dice like the effect the God LLoth has on creatures under eight hit dice.

Last edited: Jun 29, 2012
Our Host!