Holy word / blasphemy

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by tom, Jan 30, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. tom

tom Established Member

Don't know if this is the right place to put this. but the Holy word / blasphemy spell is massively over powered both for use by party and by opponents.

i am not too worried about the occasional save or die from high level opponents. it goes with the turf but holy word is so disproportionally powerful compared to other spells or other abilities used by player characters.

could its more extreme power be reduced e.g to have a stunning effect rather than death?

2. Legless

Legless Established Member

Re: Battles With Issues

I had trouble with CTD's using Holy Word. I tried using it in the first battle of WofGS and every time I tried I got a CTD. Soo many spells don't work properly:sadblinky.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Holy Word is a very powerful spell IF you are 10 levels higher than the enemies you cast it around.

If you are just 5 levels higher or less it becomes a much weaker spell.

Personally, I'd hate to see spells being changed from what they actually are in order to make the game easier.

TOEE does it's best to stay true to RAW and I applaud that.

4. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

Don't use Holy Word in WotGS... it makes it way too easy and ruins all the fun.

5. Legless

yes mother:p been there, tried that, didn't bother with the t shirt. Have you ever tried doing it without magic? It would be interesting to know if anybody achieved it. I was thinking of trying a purely mundane party, no wiz, no sorc, no cleric, no bard and I suppose it would no ranger as they can cast spells too. Do monks have magic? Pallys are out, but they're too stuck up for my liking anyway. That would leave rogue, fighter, barbarian. That would be tough, no healers. Sounds like fun though.

6. Goshi3156

Goshi3156 Dire Badger

They don't learn any magic at all. The main draws with a Monk is their unarmed damage, stunning fist, the WIS bonus to AC and spell resistance. Monks are invaluable in WotGS IMO since they can easily get through the enemy's front lines (With their high AC and Tumble) and take out their casters (Preferably with Improved Trip).

WotGS was definitely designed with casters of all types in mind, a no magic run would be very difficult and time consuming. You would need to load up on a ton of potions.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Has anyone ever noticed that you can get a limited supply from various Hommlet persons in their hideouts?

8. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

A monk does have a somewhat magical ability.

His hands and feet are treated as magical weapons at level 4 and as magical Lawful weapons at level 10 and he can heal himself at level 7 for twice the hit points of his level.

At level 20 a monk gains Perfect Self where he becomes a magical creature and is considered an outsider for reasons of spell and weapon resistance. I wonder if this is implemented in TOEE?

Then to top it all off, at level 20 a monk does 2d10 damage with an unarmed attack.

9. Daryk

Daryk Veteran Member

The only spell I cast in the WotGS is Identify (on the extra Robe of Midnight), though I usually still have charges in the Wand of Identify at that point and use it instead. I do have spellcasters (for crafting), but their function in combat is auxiliary archer (by which I mean slightly less good than the Ranger/Fighters or Fighter/Rogue). By the time I get to the WotGS I have far more healing potions than I know what do with, so even the cleric doesn't need to cast anything.

10. Legless

Thanks.
    One drawback I can see with a zero magic run, the whole game, not just WotGS is fighting the Gremlich. Another is that you wouldn't use any crafted or magically enhanced weapons or armour (from a purist point of view)
    Would it be possible to do the missing children quest in the sewers of Verbo with diplomacy, intimidate, etc?

11. tom

tom Established Member

Actually i am saying that holy word spell makes the game too easy for the player. You can just tiptoe through the heaps of dead opponents. Its a bit dull.

I did not know the rule about 10 levels higher to kill but it seams to be broken. On occasion a member of the party has been charmed by the opposition. If I then use a holy word the party member (same level as the cleric) dies.

12. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I got that first time in WotGS, reloaded, didn't get it. Not sure why.
    Hmpf... Gaear and his, "if only people played this as a proper RP and not a min-maxed walkthrough". :p
    Well, that came out wrong! But lets assume it was about WotGS... if you don't use spellcasters, the Assassins have no-one to target and sneak-attack to death (repeatedly). The lose all meaning in their life and disengage to ponder existentialist dilemmas. Some abandon Hextor to follow Vecna or Nerull. If enough do this, Vecna appears after the batle to give you the evil eye and the finger.

13. Legless

:thumbsup:

14. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Are there any other legitimate high level rogue strategies? I know that one ends up being spammed a lot but I think it's one of those things where there's not a lot of alternatives. (Especially when you consider that trying to devise a new one will automatically not work off the bat and you'll end up spending 47 days completing it. The first step of every single minor mod in ToEE is to discover why the mod doesn't work. :p)

15. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

A little surprised/puzzled honestly... why the sudden concerns about spells and features that are pretty much by the book pnp supposedly being overpowered? I always thought Co8's scope/aim was to try to keep things overall quite faithful to how things work in pnp 3.5e which fits the nature of TOEE itself.

There are many, many more things more overpowered in TOEE than Holy Word honestly, stuff like the entire charm line of spells which don't grant +5 bonus to save during combat while making utter slaves out of enemies... which is not how the spells work in pnp.

Our Host!