Hezrou Stench re-implementation discussion thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Kalshane, Sep 22, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Re: 5.0.1 Mods and Fixes Thread

This is great news, Hazelnut. If you've figured out how to give creatures spell-like free actions, there's a bunch of monsters in the game that have abilities that should be free, but currently take up actions. Would you be willing to look into them if I gave you a list?

2. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

I thought I'd better start a new thread for the re-implementation of the Hezrou's stench that I posted in the 5.0.1 Mods and Fixes Thread so any related discussion doesn't clutter that thread. See here for the release post.

It was actually really simple. I noticed that the ring of freedom of movement spell rule had it as a free action, so I simply copied that. All you have to do to make a spell a free action is replace "Casting Time: 1 action" with "Casting Time: Free Action" in the spell rule text file.

This works fine for a critter specific spell like the Hezrou Stench, but it would be a problem for critter abilities that are implemented using real learnable spells. If you give me some examples then I can comment on whether or not this'll be a problem if you like. I do think that anyone will be able to make these changes though, so why don't you take it on? ;)

Since your title is 'Local Rules Geek', maybe you could comment on the way I've implemented the stench and what you think about it considering your rules knowledge? That'd be great.

Cheers,

H.

Last edited: Sep 22, 2006
  3. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

I also forgot to mention that creatures afflicted by the nausea from the stench are labelled 'staggered' on the pop up info. It should be nauseated, but since that wasn't possible, staggered (by the stench) seemed a good alternative and at least allows a player to tell it apart from the sickened effect.

The string 'nauseated' is in the dll, but I've yet to see it used in game. So keep a look out and do let me know if you see it, and what caused it. Stinking cloud should use it but says sickened instead... very odd.

4. Kalshane

Okay, it sounds like new "spells" will have to be created for certain monster abilities if someone wants to make them work correctly.

I know the basalisk's gaze is something that should be a free action. Same goes for the Umber Hulk's gaze (though I believe that just casts the Confusion spell.) I'd have to dig through the various monsters in the game and get a list of what all had free abilities that they're currently using actions on. I think most of the demons have abilties that should be free.

I haven't had a chance to play with it yet, but it sounds like you did the best you could with a very frustrating problem. Am I correct in assuming that the stench doesn't force a saving throw every round for creatures within it like Liv's original did? That was the big sticking point with her version for me.

I have not seen anything cause a "nauseated" pop-up.

5. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

No, only one saving throw - although I repeat the throw if you get nauseated and stay out of the stench long enough for it to expire, before re-entering. Seemed only fair to give a chance of sickness instead of instant nausea, and the rules on d20srd.org didn't seem to be exact on this point to me.

The gazes you mentioned are spells already specific to those monsters I think - so it should be okay. Do you have a full list of monsters & abilities that need the free treatment?

6. Kalshane

Works for me.

I'll look over my notes tonight or tomorrow and then give you a list.

7. Kalshane

Or not, my PNP DM has my 3.5 Monster Manual (cheap bastard) and there's a bunch of critters that aren't in the SRD, so I need to get my MM back before I can get you a definitive list, unfortunately. I have a pretty good idea of how the missing monsters work, but I want to verify it so I don't give you incorrect information.

8. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Can you post up a partial list and then edit it with the non-open info from the MM when you have it?

9. Kalshane

That I can do. Will have to wait until I get home tonight.

10. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

That's great Kalshane, thanks.

I'll then proceed to fix one monster for each test report I get about any of my mods eh? :p

11. Kalshane

Hey, don't look at me. Last night was the first time in months I've had time to sit and play ToEE and that was only for an hour. Started a new game with the latest fixes. If I have any problems, I'll be sure to mention them.

12. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

Hehe, I was just poking a little bit 'o fun at this place and how quiet it is at the moment Kal... :giggle:

Anyway, look forward to the list but in the meantime...

I've been working on the stench to make it work for multiple concurrent Hezrou. I think I have it working, although I have only tested it with a single Hezrou so far. (I need to go to sleep now) I was prompted by Zuggy summoning 2 Hezrou when I fought her last night.. I didn't know she could do that.

Uploading in case someone else wishes to test with multiple Hezrou - there's a lot more to go wrong now.

Cheers.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 29, 2006
  13. Kalshane

No problem.

Okay, I think this is a definitive list. What wasn't in the SRD, I just looked up in my 3.0 MM. There's less of them than I thought.

#14286 Balor and #14358 Balor Gaurdian: Should have True Seeing as an automatic ability. Could be set to cast as a free action as work-around.

#14295 Basalisk: Petrifying Gaze should be a free action.

#14328 Bodak: Death Gaze should be a free action.

#14340 Efreeti: Should be able to use Scorching Ray as a free action 3/day

#14263 Glabrezu and #14359 Glabrezu Guardian: Should have True Seeing as an automatic ability. Could be set to cast as a free action as work-around.

#14396 Lantern Icon: Should have a permanent Magic Circle vs Evil. Could be set to cast as a free action as work-around.

#14241 Minotaur: I think the Stoneskin is meant to be part of the creature, since it starts as a statue. Perhaps the casting could be changed to a free action.

#14260 Umber Hulk: Gaze attack should be a free action. (CR should be increased by 1 if this is implemented, as I lowered it to compensate for it taking an action.)

#14261 Vodyanoi: Gaze attack should be a free action. (CR should be increased by 1 if this is implemented, as I lowered it to compensate for it taking an action.)

#14250 Vrock and #14361 Vrock Guardian: Vrock Spores should be released every three rounds as a free action.

14. Hazelnut

Hazelnut Great Confusor

#14286 Balor and #14358 Balor Gaurdian: Should have True Seeing as an automatic ability. Could be set to cast as a free action as work-around.
    Would need a new 'free' true seeing spell. Question: would true seeing for a monster ever actually do anything useful? Is it worth it?

#14295 Basalisk: Petrifying Gaze should be a free action.
    No problem - I'll do this

#14328 Bodak: Death Gaze should be a free action.
    No problem - I'll do this

#14340 Efreeti: Should be able to use Scorching Ray as a free action 3/day
    Would need a new 'free' scorching ray spell. Looking at the SRD entry for efreeti it doesn't look to me like this should be a free action. Is the online SRD incorrect?

#14263 Glabrezu and #14359 Glabrezu Guardian: Should have True Seeing as an automatic ability. Could be set to cast as a free action as work-around.
    Would need a new 'free' true seeing spell. Question: would true seeing for a monster ever actually do anything useful? Is it worth it?

#14396 Lantern Archon: Should have a permanent Magic Circle vs Evil. Could be set to cast as a free action as work-around.
    Where do these appear in the game? I don't recall seeing any Lantern Archons. (or Icons :giggle:) This would be a bit more work, either creating a strategy entry plus a free version of the spell or a pre-buff heartbeat. Is it worth doing?

#14241 Minotaur: I think the Stoneskin is meant to be part of the creature, since it starts as a statue. Perhaps the casting could be changed to a free action.
    Would need a new 'free' stoneskin spell. Alternatively, could we simply pre-buff the created Minotaur in py00226 heartbeat script? Anyone know why this hasn't been done?

#14260 Umber Hulk: Gaze attack should be a free action. (CR should be increased by 1 if this is implemented, as I lowered it to compensate for it taking an action.)
    Currently allowed to cast confusion twice. There is no SRD entry for this monster, so could you give me more details?

#14261 Vodyanoi: Gaze attack should be a free action. (CR should be increased by 1 if this is implemented, as I lowered it to compensate for it taking an action.)
    Currently allowed to cast confusion twice. There is no SRD entry for this monster, so could you give me more details?

#14250 Vrock and #14361 Vrock Guardian: Vrock Spores should be released every three rounds as a free action.
    No problem - I'll make it free. I don't think it's being cast every three rounds though - this would need strategy.tab changes possibly. It would be really helpful to have definitive descriptions of current behavour from anyone who has a good memory and has fought/summoned a Vrock a lot.

15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

IMO, my 2 cents - I would suggest the Stoneskin effect by drinking a potion for Minotaurs remain unchanged - requires the first round of combat and their AI Strategies likewise remain unchanged. The idea concerning Stoneskin is Minotaurs drink a potion to get a Stoneskin effect. Minotaurs do not have an inherent magical ability of Stoneskin. It was added to make Minotaurs a better encounter and fight.

Our Host!