Help you help the monk

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Kamanze, Oct 15, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kamanze

Kamanze 7th son of a 7th son

Remember in crouching tiger hidden dragon those flexible pole weapons with the feathers on the end? Think they may have been made of bamboo... That would be sweet to add that to the game and let the monk come already proficient with it. Just think it would be fair to give him/her some distance without packing throwing items. Maybe a petition?

Last edited: Oct 15, 2008
  2. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

A long quarterstaff? I can't remember for sure. Called a hayao(?) bo or monstrance(?). Somewhen it was 1d6 or 1d8, and an extended weapon. Maybe not D&D.

(GA82, taking a long time to contribute nothing, but getting well paid to do so.) :thumbsup:

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Heh... a monstrance is one of the few weapons I am proficient with :p

4. GuardianAngel82

So, does that make you a monk? Or one of those weaselly French types?

5. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

I vote monk for Ted, after all, his photos and posts do indicate he was in a monastery for a time.

Please correct me if I'm wrong, Ted.

Jeez, I WISH they had tought us weapon proficiencies when I was in Catholic School. But no, nothing fun like that. Would have been cool if the 12 Apostles were all weapon wielding monks, but I think that might have changed the story of the Passion a little bit too much, possibly shifting it towards a "hollywood" type feel

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Not a monk; Ted has always been perceived as a cleric around these parts.

7. GuardianAngel82

Ah-hah! Cardinal so-called Richeleau. You think you're so clever. Well I'm DIM! (Crowd gasps)

BTW, in Junior High I became proficient with...the Slide Rule. :nerd:

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Hence your current prestige class as a math teacher, eh?

9. Kamanze

Oh my goodness im still laughing at this one, i havent laughed out loud for real in awhile!:aaaa::clap:

But seriously it had a spike or small blade at the end so I dont know if it would be a slashing or piercing weapon... It could be 1d8 and to make up for the lose of power it could have just a slightly better critical than the typical pole weaons.

Oh and if you've seen the movie, one of the characters was able to use it to deflect darts.
    So at a certain level the monk (and only monk class) could get a better missle deflecting bonus when wielding this weapon.

Now this part may seem unable to make happen for the game but check it... Also in the movies this weapon could be used one handed in conjuction with an unarmed strike from the off hand. Now this would negate the range when wielded this way, and would incurr penalties but would give the monk a bonus for the *baddies* that keep advancing on him. And personally I dont think two weapon fighting would be necessary for the monk class to do this without the standard penalties. This may be good reason to multiclass as rogue to get the benefit of whirlwind attack as well. Anyway anyone with me on this one?!?!?!?!

10. GuardianAngel82

Sort of a monk longspear. The longspear in the game is from "Dragonslayer".

Or able to deflect at all, since deflect arrows requires empty hand.

Speaking as a Guardian Angel and a Third Dan, it's rare for a chop-sockey movie to be particularly realistic. On the other hand, the weapons and their use are often "traditional". Our stick forms often add kicks. Additionally, a hand or foot strike would have to be used if the opponent has entered in past the long weapons guard. I enjoyed "Forbidden Kingdom", but it's a comedy. ;)

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Eh??? :goatee:

Former Dominican friar (we used to run the Inquisition, you know. Bet you didn't expect that).

I never actually officially weilded a monstrance, alas, though I swung a thurible in anger once or twice. My rosary on my belt had a crucifix that had the most wicked points on its corners - that could have been a weapon in the right (or wrong) hands. But of course the whole point of a friar wearing a rosary on his belt - on the left side, you'll notice - is that its where the sword is meant to go. Its sort of a contradiction of wearing weapons.

But you all knew that, right?

12. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

NO ONE expects the Australian Inquisition!!

13. One nd

One nd Member

I am sure that the Sisters in the catholic children’s diocese had weapons proficiency Yardstick, pointer and ruler with pluses against creatures one size smaller. Also single strike subdue if the ear was not concealed.

14. Kamanze

Ok given the incredible training habits of a monk, its not unrealistic to think that they can practice deflecting missile attacks. And though I dont know the name of this particular weapon, it sure is in alot of movies giving it some credability and not a one-off. I just think this would clear a big deficiancy with the monk and make him more rounded.

Minus the hooey jooey it would be nice to just see a pole weapon that the monk is proficient with without burning feats. Or even WITH burning feats maybe he/she could use a little more proficiently than another class. But the idea of this weapon is still awesome though. Guess im alone on this one...

15. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Indeed, is a simple spear.
    The -usually- red things you see are to distract the opponent and mainly to prevent the blood to slip thru the handle. Is not made of bamboo (oddily, bamboo isn't that flexible), simply wood, but very thin, as most of chinese weapons.
    Striking an opponent with kikcs and punchs is, as GA82 says, when opponents enter the short range area. This is acceptable in PnP, but hardly doable in ToEE i think.
    Isn't really a monk weapon, the ones that use it have usually undergo a special training.

What the characters usually do in movies (y'now, when they spin the spiky end quickly against an opponent) is called "serpent strike" (or something like that) in DnD, which basically is a feat that lets you use furry of blows with a spear. It can be done also with a Jiang, which is the oriental version of the longsword (green destiny).

There are optional rules for weapon proficiences for monks, most applicable in the oriental setting, where monks and samurais have dojos and houses, and they get different skills/weapon proficiences/feats depending on which one they belong.

Over all, monks have a quite poor selection of weapons, cos they have a wide arrange of special abilities.
    ToEE has many flaws, and some weapons aren't applied properly.
    For example, taking a extra feat for the spiked chain is useless, since in ToEE performs simply as a longspear (although much more cool) that can be used withe dex, but in PNP it also let you make trip attacks, and can be used -with an extra feat- as two weapons at short range.
    Monks for example, can use ambidexterity and flurry of blows, and combine it with weapons. A monk wielding a kusari-gama for example, is deadly (the kusari-gama is that ninja weapon that consists in a long chain witha small weight in one side, and a small scythe or kama in the other, it performs as a spiked chain -in every aspect, even the two wielding style- but does slashing/bludgeoning damage)

A pity, since ToEE does not only not cover well the exotic weapons, but also doesn't cover well the monks proficiences :shrug:

Last edited: Oct 16, 2008
Our Host!