hardware recommendations for ToEE

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by krunch, Oct 1, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. krunch

krunch moving on in life

On the 1st page of this thread, I referred you to SiSoft Sandra for Windows 2000 and XP. Here is something for Windows 98/98SE.

Wintune 98 examines your system's performance by testing the CPU, video, disk and memory components. It analyzes the results and lets you know how to get the best out of your system. Wintune 98 can also detect common Windows 9x configuration problems and give you specific instructions for fixing them. Wintune 98 also offers an extensive database of systems that you can compare to your own.

Wintune 98 v1.0.32 for Windows 9x
    -> download Wintune 98

Last edited: Nov 13, 2005
  2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

I posted # 60 and # 61 at the same time. Post # 61 is at the top of this page, page 3.

So, do not forget to take a look at the bottom of page 2 of this thread. It's a trick to improve hard drive access for Windows XP.

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

basic Windows 98/98SE performance improvement trick

You can gain system speed by changing your Windows 9x role from Desktop Computer to Network Server.

With the Desktop Computer Setting, VFAT allocates memory for the 32 most recently accessed folders and the 677 most recently accessed files, consuming approximately 10K of memory. When you use the Network Server setting, VFAT allocates memory to record the 64 most recently accessed folders and the 2729 most recently accessed files, consuming approximately 40K of memory. The additional 30K RAM is well worth it. Plus, there are other benefits, too - increases the available number of low-level cpu commands.

To change the setting:
    1. Right-click the My Computer Icon.
    2. Click Properties.
    3. Click the Performance tab.
    4. choose the File System tab.
    5. Change Typical Role of This Computer to Network Server.

* You can peruse the last 11 or so posts in this thread...deals with improving operational performance. There are a few posts prior to the last 11 or so posts that provide links to software download locations, software tools and whatnot.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Something most people never do is defragment their hard drive.

Here is a How To on defrag your hard drive in Windows, in case you did not know you can do this or how to do this. These steps are for Windows XP. However, the steps are also similar to what is needed in Windows 9x.

Defragment Hard Drives:
    On the Desktop: Double-Click the "My Computer" icon.
    Right-Click "Local Disk (C)".
    Click "Properties".
    Click the "Tools Tab".
    Click the "Defragment Now.." button.
    Exit when finished.
    Repeat for other hard drives or partitions, if there are any other partitions or hard drives.
    Reboot your computer when done.

Note: Disk Defragmenter that comes with Microsoft Windows operating systems will help tune your filesystem and also help ensure it's running properly. Disk Defragmenter will organize your filesystem of which in turn helps Windows read files faster.

PS: I made a previous post in this thread about downloading a very good free replacement disk defragment program called Diskeeper Lite version 7 to use for Windows 9x instead of using the default defragmenter in Windows 9x.

Last edited: Nov 15, 2005
  5. krunch

krunch moving on in life

There are some benefits to install the complete Service Pack 2 (SP2) for Windows XP [just over 260 MegaBytes for the full network version].

Note: The full network version of SP2 will replace every file that was installed and setup by Windows XP as well as every other file XP put on your computer when XP was installed, plus adds a lot of new stuff, too.

!!! Viruses and Spyware can cause the SP2 installation to fail. So, make sure your PC is clean before installing SP2.

single-file executable SP2 for Windows XP - the complete network version (not just) for IT Pros
    - File Name: WindowsXP-KB835935-SP2-ENU.exe
    - Version: SP2
    - Date Published: 8/10/2004
    - Language: English
    - Download Size: 272391 KB (means 266 MB)
    - Estimated Download Time: 10 hour 49 min @ 56K; 30 min @ cable; about 2+ hour @ DSL
    -> download SP2 for XP using this link

Windows XP SP2 provides enhanced security measures that will hopefully improve defences against viruses, worms and hackers, along with increased manageability and an improved experience for users. In addition to security and bug fixes, it will change many default settings to improve security.

- Internet Explorer Pop-up Blocker (located under Tools in the IE menu bar)
    - The firewall will be turned on
    - Messenger will be turned off by default
    - Media Bar has been removed from Internet Explorer 6
    - New version: Windows Movie Maker 2.1
    - You can no longer print or print preview a Web page that includes an ActiveX object
    - XP SP2 includes a new power-management option for Windows XP.
    * You can now use the tool Powercfg.exe to configure power-management settings from the command line.
    - The new Wireless Network Setup Wizard makes it easier to create a security-enabled wireless network and add a new computer or device to an existing wireless network
    - When you install SP2, Internet Explorer 6 is updated and includes a new security setting, called Binary Behaviors.
    * To view this setting, click Tools, click Internet Options, click Security, and then click Custom Level.
    - The Security Center is a new feature in SP2 that tracks and reports your computer's security settings and sends you alerts if your settings might be putting your computer at risk.
    - Automatic Updates will help improve the security of your computer.
    * By default, after you install SP2, these updates are installed automatically when you shut down your computer. If the 'Turn off computer' dialog box appears, it displays a new security shield icon that gives you the option to 'Update and Turn Off' your computer. If you choose this option, the downloaded updates are installed, and then your computer shuts down.

Last edited: Nov 20, 2005
  6. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Windows XP services...deserves its own post.

The following is about Windows XP services and are generally accepted as a norm for Windows XP computers.

The following is a list of Services that you can disable on most HOME PCs, meaning your own personal computer, not a computer where you work and use a computer - if you use a computer where you work.

Alerter
    Distributed Link Tracking Client
    Help and Support - (Required if you use Windows Help and Support)
    Indexing Service - (Disable if you seldom have Windows search for files)
    IPSEC Services
    Messenger
    Portable Media Serial Number
    Remote Registry Service
    Secondary Logon
    SSDP Discovery Service
    Telnet - (most people at their home do not use this DOS command)
    Upload Manager
    Wireless Zero Configuration - (Required if you use a wireless network)

The following is a list of Services that should normally be set to Automatic.

Automatic Updates - (Required for Windows Updates)
    Background Intelligent Transfer Service - (Required for Windows Updates)
    COM+ Event System - (Required)
    Cryptographic Services - (Required)
    DCOM Server Process Launcher - (Required)
    DHCP Client - (Required for cable/DSL connections)
    DNS Client - (Improves IP)
    Event Log - (Required)
    Logical Disk Manager - (Required)
    Network Connections - (Required)
    Plug and Play - (Required - this is not UPnP)
    Print Spooler - (Required)
    Protected Storage - (Required)
    Remote Procedure Call (RPC) - (Required)
    Security Accounts Manager - (Required)
    Security Center - (Notifications about Firewall and AntiVirus Status)
    Shell Hardware Detection - (Required)
    System Event Notification - (Required)
    System Restore Service - (Required if System Restore is enabled... I always stop and disable this service)
    Task Scheduler - (Required - I, typically, disable this service...depends on what you use or have installed)
    Themes - (Required)
    Windows Audio - (Required)
    Windows Management Instrumentation - (Required)

Note: When in doubt, leave a service as is and do not change its status.

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

8. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Pop-up Blocker

For Windows XP, "When you install SP2, Pop-up Blocker is turned on...", here's a quick guide to the Internet Explorer pop-up blocker in Windows XP SP2.

Block Pop-up Windows with Internet Explorer

9. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Microsoft Technet "The Cable Guy" - February 2004

"Windows XP Service Pack 2 (SP2) includes the new Windows Firewall..."

Manually Configuring Windows Firewall in Windows XP Service Pack 2
    -> Config Windows ICF in Windows XP SP2

Note: This is an extensive HOW TO guide from Microsoft for you to configure ICF in Windows XP SP2.

Last edited: Nov 24, 2005
  10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Here are Microsoft update links for Windows 2000 Pro

-> Windows 2000 SP4, the full network version (about 130 MB)
    * The SP4 download site does NOT require you let Microsoft validate your installation of Windows 2000 Pro.
    ** If you have not installed a previous Windows 2000 service pack, you need to only install SP4 for Windows 2000 to get all of the Windows 2000 updates provided in previous service packs.
    *** The network version of SP4 for Windows 2000 will replace every file installed and setup by Windows 2000.

-> Windows 2000 Update Rollup 1 (UR1) for SP4 (about 31 MB)
    * The UR1 download site requires you let Microsoft validate your installation of Windows 2000 Pro.
    ** People who have not yet deployed SP4 for Windows 2000 must install SP4 to deploy the Update Rollup, UR1.

No Future Service Packs
    Microsoft believes the Update Rollup meets customer needs more effectively and with less disruption than a new service pack, and there will be no Service Pack 5 (SP5) for Windows 2000. SP4 becomes the final service pack for Windows 2000.

Last edited: Nov 25, 2005
  11. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

re. freeing up Windows system resources.

Symantec used to have a good page on what services can and cannot be turned off in Windows XP and how to do this. Sadly I cannot find it on their site any more. This is a shame as it can really help out if your system is short of memory.

I did find this unusual webpage saved to my HD, perhaps it might be related?

Attached Files:

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Windows XP - How To Create a Boot Disk

-> How To Create a Boot Disk for an NTFS or FAT Partition in Windows XP

Resolving Boot Issues with a Boot Floppy Disk

Note - You may be able to use a Windows XP bootable disk to start the operating system on a computer running Windows XP.
    Use the procedures in this article to work around the following boot issues:
    • Damaged boot sector.
    • Damaged master boot record (MBR).
    • Virus infections.
    • Missing or damaged Ntldr or Ntdetect.com files.
    • Incorrect Ntbootdd.sys driver.
    • To boot from the shadow of a broken mirror. (ie., mirror in terms of RAID)

Note - You cannot use the Windows XP boot disk to help resolve the following issues:
    • Incorrect or damaged device drivers that are installed in the System folder.
    • Boot issues that occur after you see the Windows XP startup (Osloader) screen.

Last edited: Nov 30, 2005
  13. maalri

maalri Immortal

OMG! I am going back to my cave and draw on the walls. I had a question about Hardware set up with ToEE, but after skimming Krunch's "recommendations" I am talking my (previously reffered to in this forum as Wooly Mammoth) computer and finding a Tar Pit some where to die in moaningly!

Krunch-- this is all great info- and the price watching and sites to buy, and the sheer testing you did, is phenominally helpful!!

But, alas, I cannot buy anything new at this time-- any suggestions on how to get the best out of this post I had been prepared to put in?

-----"Well, I have an improtant question-- I know what the MINIMUM system requirements are to run this fun game, but what do y'all Gurus recommend?

My aforementioned Wooly Mammoth computer seems to be a bit older and slower than I previously thought.

The Christmas gift I got 2 years ago is NOT 2.3 Ghz with 256 DD RAM, as my friend said it was, and this could be a major contributing factor as to why I now cannot go further in the Temple. Yep, on the second level, in combat anywhere near the Fire Temple side (wiped out the Air Temple OK), my initiatives just won't end.

Now, Nortons is off, the maps cache is self-cleaning on start-up, and I have no other computer apps running, but everytime I get in battle, magic missiles won't fire, or after a melee swing, the intitiative just won't move on to the next character or enemy :(

It COULD be because, although I do have 512 RAM on this old beastie (SD I am sure, not DD) the processor is only a paltry 1.15 Ghz!!

I must have been thinking of my other computer- the one I was using before this gift. Hey, an old friend bought a new computer and gave me this one, and it has run absolutely great-up till now. It seemed "cleaner" and better put together than my old one-which I had a computer shop special build about 3 yrs before- back when I was rich, and which is now the kids computer.

BUT, as my "old" computer was assuredly 2.3 Ghz (I just rechecked it) with 256 of SD RAM, I may be cleaning off the Barbie Pet Rescue Files, and the Game of Life, and Pooh stuff, and possibly even reformatting the hard-drive on the old computer to get it sweet once again. With this RAM of course- maybe BOTH RAM chips.

My Question is -what is a decent set-up to run ToEE? I wish I could still get it working on this 'puter, because I don't even know if the other one has a dial-up modem (what I am forced to use these days due to location.) And this system has all my stuff on it, like Norton's 2005 and Microsoft Word, that I need for college, and it just would be a B*tch to redo it all...

Some advice guys? "-----

Krunch- if you could tone it down about 3000 nothces adn explain any advice to me like I was a 3 yr old (philadelphia allusion) I think I would trust your advice very much- you certainly have the credentials!

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

you asked for it ... stress - grumble

old pc
    Intel 815e board + Intel PIII 733 MHz cpu
    + 256 MB PC133 SDRAM
    + Radeon 7000 PCI video card addon
    + 20 GB 5400 RPM drive + 24x CDROM drive

install Windows 98 Second Edition with typical and default settings and selections

!!! cheapest only suggestions for minimal improvements that can be made

buy and install more memory to have 512 MB PC133 SDRAM
    * Adding more RAM beyond 512 MB doesn't seem to help Windows 98 SE much...the biggest improvement comes from getting Windows 98 SE to 512 MB of RAM.

buy and install a more modern video card, a AGP version of Radeon 9000 or nVidia 5500
    * this seems to help somewhat with video...is much better, but nowhere near the top ceiling or close to perfect.

also - honorable mention, download and install this for Windows 98 SE

Windows 98 SE installed poorly (did not play nice with drivers) on this system with respect to the IDE controllers and other drivers for the system motherboard until I installed the Unofficial Windows 98 SE Service Pack 2.1a
    -> filename: sesp21a-en.exe
    -> file size: 16.6 MB
    * I installed Windows 98 SE. During bootup, it would post a blue screen noting a VxD [a device - the IDE2 controller according to what I determined] is wrong and Windows 98 SE needs to be reinstalled to correct the problem. Reinstalling Windows 98 SE (twice) did not fix the problem. Installing this service pack fixed the VxD problem and other problems, including USB.

download path and information...see next post

Note: When I installed Windows 2000 Pro on this computer [testing purposes], everything installed perfectly. When I was done, I FDISK'd and reinstalled Windows ME and returned the PC to the owner who let me borrow his old computer.

Last edited: Dec 29, 2005
  15. krunch

krunch moving on in life

98 SE SP2.1a

information from the publisher
    Microsoft has never released a service pack for Windows 98 SE. This contains all updates from Windows Update site and more. It is a self-extracting and self-installing pack. It contains only operating system updates not Internet Explorer, DirectX, Media Player or their updates.

new stuff and changes in version Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack 2.1a
    * 2.1a: Corrected timestamps of some files.
    * 2.1a: Corrected SCR56.INF version information.
    * 2.1a: Added COMPOBJ.DLL from DCOM98.
    * Added COMCAT.DLL from DCOM98.
    * Added Q212265 (JPEGIM32.FLT).
    * Added Q240896 (OPENGL32.DLL).
    * Added Q258765 (REG).
    * Added Q269604 (DSOUND.DLL).
    * Added Q285895 (CIMWIN32.DLL) and Q282949 (WBEMPROX.DLL).
    * Added Q314941 (SSDPAPI.DLL, SSDPSVR.EXE, UPNP.DLL).
    * Added Q323708 (NSCIRDA.SYS).
    * Added Q327517 (REG).
    * Added Q885836 (MSWRD632.WPC).
    * Added Q887617 (HTML32.CNV, MSCONV97.DLL, MSWRD832.CNV).
    * Added Q903235 (REG).
    * Added a fix for VS2005 issue (REG).
    * Added "No Channel Logging" registry tweak.
    * Updated Q891711 (to U891711).
    * Updated NWPP32.DLL (to Q250876-v2).
    * Updated HTML Help (to Q896358).
    * Removed DELINFS.INF.
    * Corrected MOUHID.VXD and DISPEX.DLL files.
    * Cleaned up some code.

Known problems:
    * Some old audio drivers (like Crystal CS423x) are not compatible with SP 2.x. Please, update your audio drivers, if you have problem.
    * Uninstallation needs Windows 98 SE CD-ROM. It also doesn't remove all installed files. It only reverts back half of the installed files with original 98 SE files. So, I don't recommend uninstallation of the pack, if you don't have any serious problem.

Important notes:
    * If you installed SP 2.x previously, just install this version without uninstalling old version.

download path
    -> Unofficial Windows 98 Service Pack 2.1a

options available to select for installation
    Main Updates [All Updates and Hotfixes]
    Adaptec ASPI Update [4.60.1021]
    Notepad Replacement [Metapad 3.5]
    TweakUI [1.33]
    Command Prompt Here
    Windows 2000 Color Scheme [gives 98 SE desktop a look and feel like Windows 2000 Pro]
    New Animated Boot and Shut Down Logos
    Performance Tweaks [Requires at least 64 MB RAM]

Last edited: Dec 18, 2005
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!