Great Mace question

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Major_Blackhart, Dec 29, 2011.

Remove all ads!
  1. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Do you guys ever plan on putting a Masterwork Great Mace in the game? I wan to build an evil cleric of Erythnul, and a massively magical great mace would be an awesome weapon for such a character to use, considering his god and all that.

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No particular plans, but I suppose we could.

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

I was looking at the (non-MW) great mace in Ah Fong's shop, and it seems a bit overpowered/non-RAW to me. 1d12 damage, 19-20 crit x3? That's kinda high compared to other similar two-handed weapons such as heavy flail (RAW 1d10, 19-20 x2) or great club (RAW 1d10 20 x2.) Heck, it's just about the best non-reach two-hander around, better than the greatsword or greataxe, especially if it uses (simple weapon prof) mace proficiency.

4. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Is there such a weapon in 3.5 that has those stats?
    I agree it's overpowered, but it is fluffy for my cleric and my barbarian.

5. Ausdoerrt

Ausdoerrt Veteran Member

Isn't Erythnul's favored weapon a morningstar, anyway?

d20srd doesn't list any mace other than light and heavy. The weapon does seem overpowered. IIRC, NWN2 had a similar non-RAW weapon called Warmace, but it was much better balanced at 1d12 20x2.

6. Major_Blackhart

Major_Blackhart Member

Yeah, but my understanding is that the great mace actually uses Morningstar specs. If you see the model, it actually makes sense that way. The inventory icon is actually of a heavy mace, but really it should be a morningstar of some kind. At least I think it uses morningstar specs.

7. Alporik

Alporik Member

That is overpowered. Still not as bad as the great cleaver though, because you can get that one at level 1 and wield it in one hand.

8. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Does anyone object to me introducing a Masterwork version but paring it back to crit x2?

Buffed Rabbit likes this.
  9. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

No objection from me, d12, 20 crit range x2 crit sounds ok.

10. Alporik

Alporik Member

Would it be 20/x3? The tetsubo is 19-20/x2 and is 2d6 damage as well, so a d12, 20/x2 would be strictly inferior on the numbers.

Roll-playing is something different of course, the lord of the nazgul would not "let fall his tetsubo" after all.

11. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

Mechanically, longspears (simple) and guisarmes (martial) are the best melee weapons - aside from perhaps the Swords of Answering - due to their longer reach. Spiked chains (exotic) also have reach but require a feat to use properly.

12. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The SRD doesn't list a Great Mace for 3.5e though this dnd wiki page does, granted it's a homebrew concept, but personally if I wanted a 2 handed weapon wielder, I'd go for a Greataxe instead. I dislike weapons and armour that are factually incorrect (Studded Leather didn't exist and Flails were about as likely to kill the wielder as the target).

13. Alporik

Alporik Member

I guess I got brainwashed by my early exposure to AD&D cleric requirements, but I just can't see my warrior cleric with a Greataxe. My vision of them doesn't really include a shield either. Let your deity protect you as you do their will with both hands!

14. sigofmugmort

sigofmugmort Established Member Supporter

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I was thinking 19-20 x2, but 20 x3 is fine too. Or make it 30lbs and x4 I guess.

Our Host!