Gnoll problem

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by DanDavis, Feb 10, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. DanDavis

DanDavis Member

To start, I have the game patched to the third Atari patch.

I was fighting the gnolls in the moathouse with my paladin. He has 18 STR and a longsword, so the minimum damage should be 5.

He hit and did 1 point of damage.

My rogue also hit one with a light crossbow. I hit, but for no damage.

I checked my 3.5 Monster Manual and gnolls have no type of damage resistance, so were the gnolls changed for the game? Or is this some sort of glitch? Or is there something else I'm missing and will feel stupid for not thinking of later?

2. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

If you click on the d20 in the corner of your screen and click on the blue damage text it will give you the damage roll including modifiers. In this instance, Gnolls have DR 5/bludgeoning. I know numerous attempts have been made to fix this, but for some reason they have been unsuccessful. Best guess I've read is the DR for the gnoll skeletons is being applied to regular gnolls somewhere in the code.

I have noticed the gnoll leaders don't have the DR problem. I wonder if there's not a way to use the gnoll leader template to correct the problem with the regular gnolls. At this point, it might even work to just replace the regular gnoll stats with the gnoll leader's, as the leader is easier to take down due to his lack of DR.

3. DanDavis

DanDavis Member

I didn't know you could click on the blue text to find out more, so thanks for the help.

That is a pretty glaring error on the programmer's part, but I can put up with it as long as it's isolated and doesn't affect every monster in the game.

4. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

I think I can fix this.

If you create a new Gnoll then the Gnoll does not get damage reduction.

The problem is with the pre-existing Gnolls. It should be a simple enough task to write a script that replaces each Gnoll with a new Gnoll upon the first heart_beat.

I have to toy with it, but I think I can fix it.

I will start working on this soon.

Livonya

Our Host!