Gnoll Caravan question

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Half Knight, Oct 19, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Was going on my way to clean the moathouse, and get the random encounter of the gnoll caravan ( I begin to curse thinking on the bug), after the dying woman speaks , i used my ranger/barbarian to Track, just out of curiosity...and it showed this:
    screen0012.jpg
    Using the arrow of track as a guide, the spot in the map for the "treasure" apparently is on the red X, but there's nothing...btw, i used search and nothing.

anyway, i ignored it and went for the Travel agent (or whatever it is called) to the left of the map, and found this:
    screen0013.jpg
    Thinking it was just a messed mesh (the travel agent with a chest mesh) but no,. And there was nothing in the chest, it was empty.

I hit M and have no problems, it go to the world map, but appeared here:
    screen0014.jpg
    The turquoise path and X shows where i get the random encounter...

So, is there something to do and i miss it?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

The first thing (the treasure map) is the device that spawns everything else. Before Agetian made ToEEWB, we used to have to come up with some really funky ways to do things. Its part of the reason why I use cats - finding cat tracks doesn't raise an eyebrow. :eyebrow:

The empty chest i don't know about - flavour, perhaps? "Look, there's the merchants' strong-chest! Damn, the gnolls have emptied it out..." Nice touch if so.

The worldmap thing may well be fixable at this point, I don't know. Certainly we can find somewhere better to put the location - in the middle of the road, I would say.

3. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Yeah, Treasure map2 is a spawner, which can be removed or turned off as it no longer serves any purpose.

I think Liv planned for the 3rd mail order item from the woodcutter to be intercepted by the gnolls, but I dont think it has ever played out that way for anyone, ever. :(

The worldmap path probably can't be fixed, CtB swapped the gnoll caravan map number with the Temple of Elemental Evil level 3 map to be able to get you to travel on the worldmap to get away from the map, to make it work like all the other random encounter maps we'd probably have to loose one of the existing random encounter maps.

4. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Allyx -

It plays out that way for me, but I have the finished version... :stoned:

In the finished version that chest is just empty, and there is a door that you can select to leave the map.

Later on you meet the Gnolls a second time and can have a final fight with them.

I could post my version 2.0 that I never released, and you could go through and add what you want. The main problem being everything that was added to C08 in the last few years does not exist in my 2.0 version, and I can't provide bug support. There is a change release txt file that I updated as I did stuff...

I don't plan to go back to work on my 2.0 mod as I am busy with KoTB and my own unannounced mod.

But if you are interested I could give you 2.0 mod folder and you could sift through the changes... perhaps not worth the effort.... but if you want it I can certainly give it to you.

- Livonya

5. Allyx

Sure thing Liv, upload it to the FTP, and post a link to it in the CMF submissions thread, or PM the link to me if your uncomfortable about releasing it publically, i'll take a look at it and try to get the fixes into the next release.

6. thisdude

thisdude Member

you know,
    i found that treasure map2 guy on a few other maps..
    once, inside my house in nulb, when you get ambushed by the traders.
    the treasure map guy showed up and everyone started attacking him instead of my party.

7. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

Hey!

treasure guy could become a character! much like the little thief-gnomes in Golden Axe! :aaaa:

"Kick him! Kick hiiimmmm! Hey greedy bastard, leave me some potions!"

Btw...i'm having a nagging suspicion...if you look at treasure guy and Allyx's avatar, you'll see some resemblance...

8. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

That used to happen a lot on earlier versions of Co8 with the spawner. Confused the castlemaineXXXX out of me too the first time it happened. Not seen it at all recently so I think the problem is one of identifying the odd little nooks and crannies where it is still lurking.

9. Allyx

Since spawners are no longer the only way to get monsters to appear, I think all spawners should be replaced with .mob's which can be turned on and off as appropriate.

10. Livonya

Livonya Established Member

Spawners are .mob files that are turned off (sometimes incorrectly).

The reason why some spawners show up incorrectly is because they are scripted incorrectly. My fault in many situations.

So replacing them with .mob files won't change anything if the scripts that run them aren't fixed... at least in the situations where these things only appear at a certain point in time or after a certain event.

With regards to items/monsters that should always be visible in all situations then yes, replacing them with .mob files would be a good idea, though not necessary if the spawners are scripted properly.

Anyway, as soon as I get a chance I will figure out how to get that old crap uploaded so you can sift through it.

- Livonya

PS: I wish I didn't have to sleep. I would love to go over every single map in ToEE and change/fix everything map by map. With all the new reference information and the ToEE World Builder someone with time could turn vanilla ToEE into a flawless module. Maybe in another life...

11. thisdude

thisdude Member

im still playing the 4.0.1 mod, maybe the treasure map guy has already been fixed.
    one of these days i will find a way to upgrade to 5.0

12. berzerker

berzerker Random Passerby

With all due respect Liv;
    And realizing I can't presume to speak for anyone else; but even IF you had the time; i would think the time would be better spent on your OWN project

And while ToEE was an alright module; at risk of a burning-staking (i type this on halloween) i don't think it was a standout compared to the other modules of its day- nothing against the series; just there was plenty of others I remember just as fondly if not far moreso...

>>and more importantly; imperfect executions aside; ToEE has been DONE.

If for no one else; I can confidently say for myself ; I'd rather see this improved engine used for something I haven't already played through.:blahblah:
    Be it more classic stuff or your own..

Call that a vote of confidence.

13. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

Well, I for one think it'd be nice if it were finally fixed, once & for all, just how ever you'd like to do it, Liv. I appreciate your contributions to this community past & present, and look forward to your future offerings as well.

:clap: :clap:

14. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

A simple OF_OFF in the protos will do it, Liv (or do most of it ;) ), its not like we have to go back and to all the .mobs by hand.

15. Allyx

Sorry perhaps I didn't explain myself correctly, I meant removing the spawner's .mob files, and replacing them with .mobs for the critters that are created the way the game normally does it, control for turning on/off the critter would be in the critter's own script file, removing the need for the spawner script which creates them. ToEEWB can be used to set way points, stand points, alert points, rotation, inventory, AI routine, custom factions that override the proto set factions etc, etc.

Our Host!