Gems, rings, necklaces, etc.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by The Great Snook, Jan 14, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. The Great Snook

The Great Snook Member

Is there any need to keep these if they are of the non-magical variety? I'm currently filling up the treasure chest in the house I bought with these. It doesn't seem like the game needs them for ingredients for spells or crafting. Am I correct?

2. Alaric Rising

Alaric Rising Sir Balovershagnasty

I don't believe there is any real reason to keep them about. PnP D&D makes one account for coin weight (well, my more sadistic GMs did anyway). In ToEE, there doesn't sem to be the same system. The only reason I haven't cashed mine in is that I like the screen looking tidy. IMHO, once ya' hit five digits in the plat column, it starts to look messy.

3. Alaric Rising

...mind you, I have only been play this for about three weeks now. Suppose the Gods of ToEE, Allyx, Cujo, Cerellean Blue [sp?] and co., would know leaps and bounds more than my tiny self.

4. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

Cerulean. Like the color. Which makes him redundant. :p And yeah, there's no point to keep the non-magical jewelry. It's just around to sell to get some extra cash to buy better stuff. (Or make better stuff, as the case may be.) Though, it does tend to get useless at later parts of the game...

5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

As ShadowDragoon said, diamonds and such are just loot.

No, no spell components sadly :sadblinky Well, not yet anyway...

6. TimSmith

TimSmith Established Member

Well, they ARE just loot, BUT your appraise skill will affect what you get for them, unlike coins. So, they are loot which is worth different amounts depending on your choice of skills!

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Well, by that argument, I guess you SHOULD hang on to them as long as possible since u will get more for them in-game. Sure. :)

But then, the value of said loot in terms of buying power decreeses as the game goes on - at the start of a game, a thousand gp diamond goes a long way to getting you some desperately needed platemail or masterwork weapons. By the end of the game, you've got more loot than you can spend, quite literally.

8. TimSmith

TimSmith Established Member

Definitely- however, if you don't need to spend all your wealth at a particular moment, the jewels etc (as opposed to the coins) should be saved to act as your investment plan for a rainy day! What is six months salary for an adventurer, anyway?:giggle:

9. Alaric Rising

I think pay for six months (including Christmas bonus, of course) is somewhere in the range of "pissing gold" and "I could buy castles, siege them myself (or just pay an army) and rebuild for training purposes." Mind you, none of this is not including an insurance plan. I don't think even adventures could sock away enough diamonds and garnet rings to pay the prems. But the retirement investment plans...damn! Nothing compares, assuming you live to see 22. I gotta guy if you want to talk out a plan...

Our Host!