Game crash on start-up

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Clinton, Sep 2, 2004.

Remove all ads!
  1. Clinton

Clinton Member

I just bought ToEE this evening and installed it (along with the official patch 2 and Co8mod 3.0.3) and immediately ran into a problem. Starting a new game; during the first clip after the character creation screen (the bit telling about hearing a scream...) my PC freezes. I have tried adjusting the video settings down to 800x600 and I still get the same thing.

I'm running a 2.2GHz cpu with 128M ram. (A bit lean I know, but I'm going to pop up to 512M+ in a few weeks.) I'm not running an aftermarket video card yet.

Any ideas?

2. Clinton

Clinton Member

I picked up a 512 RAM stick today and am still locking up at the very beginning. I even lock up frequently during the character creation screens. I have tried reinstalling the game itself plus each different patch. I have even updated directx from 9b to 9c.

Here are my specs:
    Win XP SP1
    640M RAM
    2.2GHz Celeron
    64M Intel integrated 3D graffics

This is getting quite infuriating.

3. Clinton

Clinton Member

Still locking up. I have adjusted the video settings and updated my video drivers and still getting close to the same results. Now I can actually start the game and play about 5 minutes before crashing. I even went so far as to disable all sound acceleration, but I still crash a couple minutes in. My next step is a new video card (possibly a new audio card too) and if that doesn't work, the game is going back to the store.

It's so sad Troika/Atari made something so promising, yet so buggy and unstable. My hat is off, though, to Circle of Eight. These guys are committed to video game excellence.

Last edited: Sep 8, 2004
  4. Sol Invictus

Sol Invictus Beholder Watcher Veteran

That's odd, but not unheard of. Perhaps you should try upgrading your motherboard drivers, sound card drives and video drivers. That usually solves most crashing problems (in any game).

Also consider Windows XP SP-2, but I doubt that will help. I'd say the money's on the drivers.

5. Clinton

Clinton Member

I tried updating my video, audio and mobo drivers with the same results. After the latest lock-up, I uninstalled TOEE and found that many of my program icons on my desktop no longer worked. I would get a message saying the shortcut was unavailable. I was even missing a few icons from the desktop and toolbar and my modem drivers disappeared!!!!! Many basic programs became very unstable and System Restore was among several programs which would crash the PC when I tried to run it. I ended up doing a complete destructive reformat of my HD and took TOEE back to the store and got my money back.

6. miserychick

miserychick Member

Sounds like you had bigger problems than TOEE. Hope the reformat fixed things for you.

7. Clinton

Clinton Member

Since the reformat, everything system-wise is ok. Everything is stable with no crashes. I really wanted to sound positive about my gaming experience with TOEE, but I had zero problems until I installed it and a giant headache afterwards. At least I was able to get my money back.

Our Host!