Funniest easter eggs

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by SharkD, Aug 3, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

What are the funniest easter eggs that Co8 could add to the mod? (Not that they should.)

I can think of one: A copy of GQ magazine on a Gelatinous Cube.

-Mike

2. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

So it's a Gelantinous Qube?

3. Cortillaen

Cortillaen The Newbie

How hard would it be to change the texture/color of a Gelatinous Cube? Namely, to something rough and metallic, accompanied by a name change to "Borg Cube" and being stuffed in a corner somewhere with the ability to cast Disintegrate and Dominate Person? :evil_laug

EDIT:
    Suggestion the Second: A random encounter featuring a lv20 NPC Wizard fighting an outsider that reasonably resembles the Balrog (a >Balor< would be perfect, but I don't suppose TOEE has those...).

Suggestion the Third: How hard would it be to have a greatsword that casts Disintegrate (at CL 20, if possible) upon striking a Chaotic and/or Evil target? Bonus points if you can guess the name I'm thinking of. :p

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  4. SharkD

I totally didn't realize that! :evil_laug

-Mike

And, yes, ToEE does in fact have a Balor. You just need a new map with a cave and deep chasm.

5. Cortillaen

Cortillaen The Newbie

Who put a CR20 Demon in a game that was supposed to cap players at lv10? o_O Am I wrong in feeling that the designers might have had intentions for making the TOEE engine and data files a general system rather than just a single-campaign game? Either way, awesomeness! Now I just need to teach myself how to put together the necessary map, add the pair, and script them into fighting each other, maybe add a little dialogue... or find someone else willing to help with that. >_>

EDIT: Okay, another idea, and rather more goofy and obscure that the rest so far. Let it slip somewhere either that Lerrik's last/first (whichever "Lerrik" isn't) name is Yakra, or that his father/grandfather/etc was named Yakra. Does anyone even get this joke?

Last edited: Aug 4, 2009
  6. tanure

tanure Member

It would be really funny to meet Sulik (Fallout 2) wandering around

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Beware of overt attempts at hilarity in-game, people. They normally fail, because people don't necessarily share your sense of humor. What to you may be a "HA-HA-HA-HO-HO-HO.....HOOOOO!!!!" moment may be a "WTF?" moment to others. And that is bad.

Better to stick to well-crafted drama and let subtle humor emerge occasionally where it suggests itself, imo.

8. Cortillaen

Cortillaen The Newbie

I tend to agree that subtle jokes (the Yakra joke falls into this category, I think) are probably better, even if I am just brainstorming ideas for this. I still think the Gandalf vs Balgor random encounter would be worthwhile since practically everyone playing the game will get the referrence. Don't tell me Disintegrating the demon (or wizard, if you are inclined towards the dark side :evil_laug) wouldn't be fun. :p The Borg Cube and Sword are probably too stupid and obscure, respectively, to be worthwhile.

9. SharkD

I suppose if the game had sold well they might have made an epic level expansion, ala Throne of Bhaal.

-Mike

10. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

The game files in the dats do in fact suggest that Troika intended to make new modules possible, why else would they have named some folders "modules"? maybe it was a leftover from arcanum and they were too lazy to change it? But I suspect they coded the game so that if ToEE had sold well, they would be already part of the way towards making new modules and/or expansions. sadly not to be. :(

As for Easter Eggs... A random encounter with a group of 8 high level wizards named Ted, Geaer, Agetian, Cujo, Cerulean, Morpheus, Livonya, and Allyx perhaps? Hehehe then again, maybe not ;)

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'm gonna contradict you there Al: the fact that so much of the ordinary stuff in the game is in the .dll not the files suggests very strongly to me this was never meant to be a generic 3.5 system but a one-off game. Never heard anything different from Troika in their interviews either.
    We'd use Krunch or 0rion before you :poke:

12. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I suspect the truth lies somehwere in between. Most everything about ToEE is half-baked (built with Arcanum tools, not actually finished, etc.), so it could well be that Troika intended the multiple module system, because the framework of it is there, but never got around to doing it properly.

Maybe krunch and 0rion could head up the dubious Greyhawk counterforce of chaos, the 'Polygon of Seven.' :p

[edit]

I remember a long, long time ago Morpheus suggested Hasbro, Wizard of the Coast, whose job it would be to try to stop you from going into the brothel.

Last edited: Aug 5, 2009
  13. Cortillaen

Cortillaen The Newbie

That's kinda what I'm thinking now. Of course, there's always the high probability of executive meddling changing/adding/deleting goals the design and coding team were working towards. The D&C team started making a general system, execs demanded an earlier release date (surely not supported by anything like major patches or the need for mod-fixes :roll:), and the D&C team responded by dumping the general system plan and throwing things into the dlls as a faster means of getting ToEE out seems like a feasible scenario to me, though plans for an expansion fit, too. The multitude of things that have no business existing anywhere in the vanilla ToEE code are just really weird unless somebody, at some point, had plans for more than we ended up with. Eh, just my two cents. /thread-jacking

14. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

now that would be funny, kinda like a manic street preacher

15. SharkD

Or a wandering lunatic named Troi Cain who complains that "IT WILL NEVER BE FINISHED!!!" (whatever that might mean...), and blames it on the bugs he sees crawling everywhere.

[edit]

Or, rather, "IT WILL NEVER BE FINISHED IN TIME!!!"

Last edited: Aug 10, 2009
Our Host!