Front End Not Starting?

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by sheridan151, Feb 17, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. sheridan151

sheridan151 Member

So, after buying TOEE and following all the install instructions multiple times (Kudos to everyone, BTW! I have played the game at a friends, and the mod stuff is excellent!) I cannot get the Front End to even load. I have followed Zebedee's instructions, and whenever I get to the time to start the Front End, I double click on it, but nothing happens. No error message or anything.

Help?

2. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Do you have Microsoft dotNET 2.0 version x86 installed?

3. sheridan151

sheridan151 Member

yes. I went to the website directed, and downloaded it from Microsoft.

4. krunch

krunch moving on in life

1. Can you start ToEE without using ToEEFE to start the game?
    2. Does the ToEEFE shortcut point to the TempleFrontend.exe file?
    3. Is the TempleFrontend.exe file located in your ToEE game folder (where you installed the ToEE game)?

5. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

I had this problem.

It was my firewall - I re-configured my ZoneAlarm and it worked perfectly fine afterwards.

And then, after a re-install, I also had it again - it was the Video Card drivers (I had installed new ones for NWN2, and it just so turned out that it would not load up ToEEFE - go figure. I rolled back the Vid Drivers, and bingo!).

So, as usual, check FW and Drivers.

And listen to Krunch :)

6. sheridan151

sheridan151 Member

krunch-

1. yes, the game starts out fine. it's just the front end pop up that won't start.

2. the shortcut points to TempleFrontend (though there isn't the ".exe" at the end)

3. the file is in the TOEE folder

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

It should not matter, but just to make sure, go ahead and add the .exe to TempleFrontend so that it shows C:\..dirpath..\TempleFrontend.exe in the shortcut path.

Otherwise, if that does not fix it,

(1) What kind of video card do you have?

(2) What computer security programs do you have installed on your computer?
    - firewall ?
    - firewall + program control ?
    - antivirus ?
    - anti-spyware ?

(3) Also, check your log files for whatever combination you have, including Windows Application log + firewall + program control + antivirus + anti-spyware, and look for errors that are logged.

and (4) When you start the ToEE game using the ToEE.exe file, do the introduction movies run through completion, does the game make it to the ToEE startup menu and let you start a new game? (I know you already at least, partially, answered this if not the whole question, before. I am looking for specifics.)

Last edited: Feb 18, 2007
  8. sheridan151

sheridan151 Member

that did the trick, krunch and WebShaman. It was an anti-virus thing. Got it going now!

9. CatBoris

CatBoris Member

Is there any way to make Toffee less "bound" by security programs? It's annoying that 3rd party firewalls or antivirus programs are able to mess up a front end to a regular game.

10. krunch

krunch moving on in life

no

What the gamer using the computer needs to do, if required for ToEE or ToEEFE to run, is to set a NEW RULE in their security program to ignore the ToEE and, or ToEEFE executable and, or files in the ToEE game folder and subfolders. If setting a NEW RULE works (it will on some security programs, but not others), great. If setting a NEW RULE does not work, the security program must be disabled (or uninstalled and replaced with a different program that allows ToEE and, or ToEEFE to run).

11. WebShaman

WebShaman Member

As I do support for Logitech, I can tell you it is not just the ToEEFE that has problems with Security Programs - Logitech SW also has problems with such as well (and so do most SW developers).

Especially QC SW and Kaparski - I hate trying to tblshoot those.

"Hello, my QC SW will not install! I keep getting an error!"

"What kind of Security SW do you have installed on your PC, and what is it called?"

"Kaparski"

*throwing up noises*

Hehe...

Instead of asking if there is anyway for the Circle of Eight to rewrite their SW to conform to your Security SW...maybe you should look at things differently - and have the Security SW configurable to include the Circle of Eight SW ;)

12. krunch

krunch moving on in life

And, Kaparski is very good antivirus and program control software, too.

Our Host!