Floating text messages

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by marc1967, Jul 2, 2016.

Remove all ads!
  1. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Does anyone know a simple way to float a specific text message explicitly, without drawing the text from a mes file and having to keep looking up all the damn numbers? I want to do something like this:

Code:
    float_text_line (attachee, "Hello World!")
    Right now, the best I can do is create a temporary mes file, then read the message from that mes file, then delete the file. But this seems very clunky and has a lot of I/O processing.

I would mostly be using this for debugging, so what I have now is doing the trick, but it would be nice to have it working reliably during game play too.

2. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

As far as I know there is no such method.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

What have you tried, Marc? Anything? I have to say, if the function is '(file path, integer)' its hard to see how you can bend it to an (essentially) print statement UNLESS you go the I/O route that you have already tried (that's all that came to my mind).

Floatlines are fun to encounter in game (imho) though and you can always just blank the pure debugging ones later, I say start your own mes file and just keep adding to it. You won't have to go looking fro things if you just keep it open and add to it as you go.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

FWIW this will be in as of Temple+ 1.0.17
    Code:
    obj.float_text_line(text, color)

marc1967 likes this.
  5. marc1967

marc1967 Established Member

Fantastic!

Our Host!