feedback on new front end

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by tom, Dec 8, 2008.

Remove all ads!
  1. tom

tom Established Member

Firstly thanks for the continuing work, Brilliant.

But one or two points.

Not a bug but something worth thinking about. It took me several attempts to load the new front end because I didn’t read the instructions carefully enough and missed the part about deleting the Atari file. Could you put that in bold or underline it maybe?

The old front end format showed the details for level and number of player characters at the start. This one doesn’t. How about a sticky explaining

1. Has the level cap been automatically lifted ?
    2. Can the number of player characters be increased ? if so how?
    3. Is their a mini review of how the new front end works ? (I mean really simple for the
    computer illiterate like this buton does this kind of level).
    4. which expansion packages do what.

As far as bugs go. Running vista – repeated crashes when travelling between places using the world map. A fair few, in or just after combat.

Last edited: Dec 8, 2008
  2. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

IIRC, the settings for level cap, party size, etc are near the top of the FE screen. Others hard a hard time finding it too!

3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

Thanks for your feedback.

Deleting the Atari file: what Atari file? I'm afraid I'm not quite sure what you're talking about.

The options: all the options are now in the "Options" drop-down menu. IMO it's quite obvious, plus it's described in detail in the readme (please *do* read it, and read it carefully!), though many people have problems finding it because the previous front-end had them in a different place and because people don't like to read readmes, I guess. ;)

The repeated crashes you're mentioning in the bottom of your post have nothing to do with the front-end though, it's a game/mod bug - you may want to report that in a different place.

- Agetian

4. maalri

maalri Immortal

I too, didnt find the # of party members and level cap changes until I looked around. I haven't read the Readme yet- sorry Agetian I PLAN to... but i did read the "whats different" file- not much in that...

Also there seems to be less equipment available than with the old Jade Empress scenario... Am I missing something? I couldn't even buy half-plate or full plate.

Now I JUST DLed it last night and only messed with it for about 10 mins so I may be missing something.

And the Save game option on Iron Man- what used to be "Save and Quit" is gone completely- but I did find out that when you hit "Return to Game" that does the same as Save and Quit used to you- saves your progress and take syou to the Load screen...

One major question... any more pictures or voices going to be available soon? I guess the Mod-pack isn't compatable :( and I miss my favorite pic of a Wizard.. and one of my favorite female pics, the one I used to use for my rogue... It looked a LOT like my RL wife...the new voices are renamed but seem a LOT like the ones in the old Mod-pack...but the pics are definitely different...

5. Half Knight

Half Knight Gibbering Mouther

That's rebalancing.
    A suit of full plate or half plate isn't easy to find (in fact, a full plate must be made specifically for the one that's going to buy it). Finding one later in the game makes it more like a reward.
    If you desperately want them, you can always use the console. But that would be cheating ;)

You guess well.
    No more packs for now. We didn't want re-used or "copyrighted" stuff. Now it's full Co8 portraits.
    Yet, changing portraits isn't difficult. Make a quick search, and you'll find one of the many threads explaining how to.
    learn to mod! :)

6. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Speaking of pics, the witch in the moathouse respawn is this really scruffy looking guy. What happened to the standard witch portrait?

7. Agetian

@ maalri: There's no "what's different" file, there's only "what's new" file which explains what is new in each subsequent revision of TFE-X. It will NOT explain the difference between TFE-X and the old front-end though, there's readme for that. :p

- Agetian

8. tom

tom Established Member

IMO You know what you are doing and quite frankly i dont. It is often difficult for someone who is very familiar with somthing to see how it can be confusing to others. I didnt see a drop down menu anyware so i must have been looking in the wrong place. aslo where do i find the read me file ?

thanks for taking the time to answer my feedback

tom

9. Agetian

Reading TFE-X-readme.txt should answer most of your questions, I think it should be available in the "docs" subfolder of your Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 beta installation. This file also comes with the ToEE Front-End X itself. It's essential for reading for anyone who starts to use ToEE Front-End X.

The drop-down menu is explained there, too. Drop-down menus are typical for Windows applications, btw. If you ever used things like Paint, Photoshop, OpenOffice, Internet Explorer or even Windows Explorer, you generally know what a drop-down menu is.

- Agetian

10. tom

tom Established Member

STEP 1:

INSTALL THE TEMPLE OF ELEMENTAL EVIL GAME

Use your game CDs to install the game. If you already have it installed, uninstall it first via Start > Control Panel > Add or Remove Programs. After you have done that, navigate to your Atari game directory and delete the Temple of Elemental Evil subfolder. These steps are necessary to ensure that your installation is 'clean.' Installing the Co8 5.5.0 Modpack overtop a wrongly installed game will result in errors.

ps WOW that reply was quick i cant even time that fast - thanks i shall seek it out!

11. maalri

maalri Immortal

@ Half-Knight-- You are correct about the rebalancing, it does do that- guess Splint mail will have to be my starting gear :)

I will look up the in modding forum on how to add a protrait or two... I need to learn to mod a bit and pull my weight around here anyway.. been sponging for years off and on :)

@ Agetian- You knew what I mean ;) Whats new... I did look for the readme briefly this morning b4 work and didn't find it in the brief time I had... I will search again when time permits.

Our Host!