Fallen Paladins

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Fireworm, May 25, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Fireworm

Fireworm Member

my Paladins has fallen after completing the first earth temple quest. What should i do? how can i remove this condition? cheers

2. 0rion79

0rion79 Established Member

:s No, seriously: did you help an evil temple and you didn't expect your paladid to become fallen?

3. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Hehe

Go to the canon of the church ( 2nd floor of the church in town). Tell him youre "sorry", hehe and you are a paladin again.

4. Shiningted

Shiningted I changed this damn title, finally! Administrator

What if the canon says, "there's no room for fallen paladins in our church, you're fired!!"

Look i worked night-shift, i mean they can't all be classics <grumble mumble>

5. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

He did not help them do evil, he helped them fight each other. In other words, he was playing them against each other... which is against the paladin code i presume... paladins are expected to only fight "fairly"

6. Ki Rin

Ki Rin Member

yet my team which included a paladin went around killing all temple members without so much as an "how do?" and the paladin didnt fall :)

7. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

which is why i've always thought the D&D implementation of the Paladin idea is INCREDIBLY hypocritical!

8. lexb123

lexb123 Member

Lol

Yeah Ki Rin, also if your team takes part in a drinking contest your paladin falls, but if you kill a few people in town, he does not. (Yeah yeah, I know, but I couldnt help it. They were really ticking me off.)

9. Ki Rin

Ki Rin Member

oh i know.. about the townsfolk thing.. and the drinking too. not that i tried it.. the drinking that is, must keep a lucid mind after all.

10. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Let me see if I have this right.

Somebody has a big poisonous snake in their kitchen that has already killed their best chef. Your Paladin goes help them out and protect other chefs by killing said snake. If this person with the snake in there kitchen is good your Paladin is a hero, but if they are evil, your Paladin falls. Just for killing a snake that, by the way, attacks reguardless of it's target's alignment.

Last edited: May 26, 2005
  11. Shiningted

It IS dealing in a world where there are evil monsters, something non-existant in our world: see discussion elsewhere on whether things like demons that are 'always evil' can change. The only equivalent in our world to a paladin (from that perspective) would be an exorcist.

Also, we may perhaps suggest the game employs a medieval approach to morality rather than a modern one, which would be consistent with other things in the game.

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

A Paladin...

...is supposed to seek out and destroy evil wherever it can be found. He/She is supposed to fight with honor, and they gain glory for their patron deity as well as themselves by being forthright, bold, and unswerving in the application of their sworn duties. Killing a neutral animal on behalf of some evil guys isn't good; killing it on behalf of good folks is. Killing each and every last one of the evil guys without regard for personal safety is what they are supposed to be doing; and doing whenever possible. Engaging in rowdiness at the local pub isn't lawful, and can also cause a loss of status...as they must remain steadfast in their lawful and good purposes. As for civilians...good are not to be harmed; neutral are to be converted or shunned; evil must convert or die. After being given a fair and fighting chance, of course. In the realm of ethos, lawfulness is best, neutral tolerated, chaotic avoided.

And no apologies for any of the above. Ever.

13. taltamir

taltamir Established Member

Rowdiness is NOT necessarily unlawful. In certain places it is quite lawful and socially acceptable.

And LocutusX summed it up the best, its hypocracy. Kind of fits in a universe where many gods are elevated mortals. A paladin is as it is because the gods who conceived the idea were not perfect. You can see the hypocracy of the gods :)

14. Ki Rin

Ki Rin Member

i killed a drunk guy in the pub not to mention half the adventurers there just to see how far i could go. and the paladin did not fall... i started most honourably with a screaming fireball ;)

15. Shiningted

That makes the paladin thing badly implemented, not hypocritical. (I tihnk).

Our Host!