Experience point/level cap problem

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Yosharian, Sep 5, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Yosharian

Yosharian Member

What the **** is going on here.. I've reached 44999 xp with my characters and I can't gain any more XP.. Tried turning on and off level cap, tried adjusting level cap (even tho it wasn't selected to be on in the first place..), nothing works... Tried killing different creatures, I don't even recieve XP... Godamn this is annoying. I just wasted that bunch of high level gits in the tavern and it chewed up half my XP bonus cos of this strange level cap.

edit: I can't find any information on this anywhere.. I found one thread with a similar problem (not the OP's problem but one guy posted right at the end with a similar problem to mine) but he has a digital copy unlike mine so I don't understand how I can fix my problem using his solution (already using the 33kb cracked exe).

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=6718&highlight=experience

Last edited: Sep 5, 2009
  2. Yosharian

Yosharian Member

Continuation of my previous bug report:

My characters are stuck on 44999 xp and can't level up any more. When I kill stuff I get zero XP. Level cap function is OFF. Tried changing it to 20, tried turning it on, doesn't change the situation. SUCKS.

3. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack Bug Report Thread

The default for the original game is 10 and 20 for C08mods. You don't have to change anything. The levelcap can be changed in the options section. If it's at 44999 and wont increase, then you're in an original game or the levelcap is set to 10. Check your game status and levelcap settings.

4. Yosharian

Yosharian Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack Bug Report Thread

Impossible.. TFE-X is reporting C08 as active, how can I possibly be running an original game. The level cap is OFF. I ASSURE YOU! =p

edit: proof I'm running C08 - humble mods is on, as evidenced by the fact that I'm carrying around Elmo's gear that I stole off him.. I couldn't do that in a vanilla game

editedit: screenshot of setup: http://server2.uploadit.org/files/Yossarian-TOEE.JPG

editeditedit: screenshot of XP gain maxing at 44999 XP (I was previously at around 28000 XP on each character, 28 + 19 = 47. So should be around 47k. http://server2.uploadit.org/files/Yossarian-TOEE2.JPG

Going to bed, hope someone knows how to fix this =( *tear*

5. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Re: Generic moan about 5.6 delay thread

Did you set/adjust the level cap BEFORE you started a new game?

If not, you're stuck at the original level 10 cap. You can't change the level cap dealie mid game, IIRC. You have to start a new one.

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

@Yosharian -

Apologies, but I've moved this to a separate thread since it's not technically a bug but some sort of operational problem unique to your situation. Also, the bug report thread is not for 'differential diagnosis' (as they cal it on 'House,' ha-ha). But we should be able to figure this out anyway. Be forewarned though that if it turns out you've been playing vanilla all along, there will be no way to magically convert your existing game to a Co8 5.6 version.

It definitely sounds like you're not playing the modpack if you've topped out at level 10. As has been stated already, in Co8 mods, the level cap remover is automatically on and set to 20, so to play to level 20 you don't need to set anything in TFE-X. I read in the other thread that you're already using the 33kb no-cd, so that should have fixed the problem that is sometimes encountered when players have game editions that include the temple.dll (a very significant and heavily modded file) in the executable, which then overrides the Co8 version and basically renders the game vanilla. Vey strange, but it still sounds like you're playing vanilla.

We can easily determine whether you're playing vanilla ToEE or the Co8 mod though, so first things first. On the opening main menu screen, does the ToEE banner contain the line 'Circle of Eight Modpack Version 5.6.0 BETA' underneath, like this?

logo.jpg

And when you started your game, did you begin in the Co8 shopmap pictured below, or did you go straight to an opening vignette?

shop.JPG

If you don't see the Co8 logo and you didn't start in the shopmap, you're not playing the Co8 mod. If you do see the logo and you did start in the shopmap, then something else must be the culprit, and we'll go from there.

[edit]

What does this mean exactly? It may be significant.

7. Yosharian

Yosharian Member

No problem with the moving, I understand.

Yes I have the C08 text. Yes I went to the shop thingy. Also I am definitely using Humble PCs since I stole Elmo's stuff, as I stated previously. This isn't possible in vanilla. What else... I did Mona's future vision quest thingy, where she asks you what you want in the future. I got the Welkwood Bog quest from the guy in the house in Hommlet - also not present in vanilla. Is it possible some vanilla XP functions are still affecting my game somehow while I'm still getting the C08 content?

The game is torrented. I can link the torrent but.. thats against rules right? I don't know what region the game is from, its possibly a US version.

I recollect that when I checked the 'Set level cap' function when I first installed the game it was set to 10. BUT 'Use level cap' was NOT ON. So... I don't see how it could be affecting my game.

I am Jack's utter despair.

Also I doubt its the vanilla level cap because I can't actually level up to 10, im stuck 1 XP away from level 10. (Level 10 is 45000)

I don't know if this helps diagnose the problem but this massive amount of XP I got from killing these guys pushes my level up to 9, then past it, and past 10 too (my characters are level 8 when they get the kill). Or SHOULD have pushed me past 10.. Perhaps this causes a bug?

Another thing I thought about last night after I turned off the computer was does the C08 pack modify the executable at all? Because I'm wondering if I replaced the executable (with the cracked version) AFTER I installed C08, and maybe this is causing the problem.

8. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

No, the Co8 modpack does not modify the exceutable.

Assuming that it's then an illegal copy, Co8 can make no guarantees as to the functionality of our modpacks with such software, and indeed we can't offer any support for it. A legal copy of ToEE is cheap; we have a link to it on Amazon in the ToEE forum. I'd suggest you get a copy and try again.

9. Yosharian

Yosharian Member

What difference could that possibly make? There must be a hundred other users out there using a torrented version without problems...

edit: I went ahead and messed around with the console, which I was saving as a last resort because I'm worried it might cause bugs but since you don't want to help me... :confused:

I levelled up past 10 using the 'levelup' command, this meant I was able to select level 10 on my characters and furthermore I was then able to kill things and gain XP from them. I encountered some strange behaviour later on when I had ONE of my characters at level 10 and the others still had levelups available, but when I had levelled up my characters I was able to kill enemies and gain XP and level up from that XP. So it appears that whatever this bug is, I've bypassed it. Until I properly reach level 11 on normal XP however I won't know if the bug is truly dealt with or not, I'll update this thread at that point I suppose.

Just hope I don't get any console-related bugs =S

10. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

The difference with the torrented version is a legal one, not a technical one.

From what you've posted, my best guess it that your problem stemmed from unintentionally (and unknowingly) starting the game with the cap set at ten. But it sounds like you've fixed it yourself, so I guess the issue is moot.

11. blackfly

blackfly Established Member

Be assured that everyone wants to help you but understand that there are some things they cannot help you with. Be careful on assuming "able" and "want" to help as without the modders this game would be long dead. Original genuine games are not corrupted, only buggy and blaming someone else for a mistake you may have incurred is going to get you nowhere, perhaps even banned. All the CO8 work is entirely voluntary with no one making a CENT off of it other than the love of the game, so appreciate this fact and be appreciative yourself.

12. Yosharian

Yosharian Member

Firstly, I was asking for help, not blaming Co8. Secondly, just because I'm not gushing with praise every other line doesn't mean I'm unappreciative of Co8's work - far from it in fact. Seems like you're the one making assumptions here.

13. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I appear to be joining late but this occurred to me from out of left field. Are you one of those XP hoarder types - meaning that you purposely don't levelup when you have the requisite XP in order to earn more XP per encounter?

If so, know that you may not have a two-level gap between your XP and your current level. So, if your characters were held back at level 8, they could not have more than 44,999 XP.

I suppose this probably is your situation, but who knows?

14. Yosharian

Yosharian Member

Yeah I think you have it there, similar to what I was suggesting earlier when I said here:

MINOR SPOILER ALERT
    However its not because I'm an XP hoarder, its because my party was only level 8 when I killed these random dudes in the Nulb tavern who are like.. level 16 or something? I wiped the entire tavern after Dala tried to steal my stuff, and then I notice these heavy dudes sitting in the corner and I'm like.. oooh. Shinies! So then 10 minutes later I'm scratching my head after getting my arse kicked multiple times. Eventually I came up with a strategy (involving displacement on the tanks and a cheesy reload-til-he-rolls-a-1-on-my-silence-spell situation with their caster, lol) and killed them, was bloody close though. Their fighter dude with the tower shield fucking owns me. Funnily enough, I was able to significantly reduce his effectiveness with a LEVEL 1 SPELL =D, namely Ray Of Enfeeblement, completely overpowered spell for level 1 if u ask me but hey!
    END OF SPOILER

Anyway long story short, my party of four level 8 guys ended up getting a massive 19k XP off these guys and so they levelled up twice. Hence my suspicion about it being a bug. I'm HOPING its just a temporary niggle and thus having levelled them past 10 manually it will disappear. I'll know in about 8000 XP's time =p

15. Yosharian

Yosharian Member

Confirmed, the problem is fixed by manually levelling up past the 'stuck' point. I'm now able to level up normally. Seems like its definitely caused by 'Can't level twice in a row'.

Our Host!