Exercise, health and well being

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Necroticpus, Sep 19, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

So, they've returned. I'm pretty sure I didn't post about this when the trip first started because I didn't know if they were going to make it. They made it back yesterday. Just !@#$%^&....wow. I hope that if I get to be 64 years old, I can have a more rigorous workout than most younger atheletes. After they retired, they walked an average of 10+ miles a day for 145 days around the shores of Gitchee-Gumee. I feel like such a piker trying to squeeze out 3-4 miles a day, and I miss some days. This is what it's all about. This is real life. Very inspiring. Makes me want to walk around the outside borders of the USA. Or maybe just walk to Alaska from Minnesota.

Walkers meet welcoming crowd at close of 1,550-mile hike around Lake Superior
    Swept along by a throng of well-wishers along Duluth’s Lakewalk on Saturday afternoon, Mike Link and Kate Crowley took the final steps in their 1,550-mile, 4½-month walk around Lake Superior.

By: Sam Cook, Duluth News Tribune

The circle is complete.

Swept along by a throng of well-wishers along Duluth’s Lakewalk on Saturday afternoon, Mike Link and Kate Crowley took the final steps in their 1,550-mile, 4½-month walk around Lake Superior.

The Willow River naturalists, educators, writers and grandparents finished their hike on the cobble beach near Canal Park Lodge on a gorgeous afternoon. Crowley is 60. Link is 64.

“This lake has taught us many things,” said Link to a crowd of about 75 well-wishers, friends and family. “The first is that it’s in charge.”

The couple made their walk to celebrate Link’s retirement from the Northwoods Audubon Center in Sandstone and to call attention to the importance of fresh water resources.

Ceremonies at the lakeshore Saturday included a tobacco offering to the lake, remarks by Link and Crowley, and poem readings. The day was crisp and cool. Four grain boats rode at anchor on the big lake. A soft west wind wrinkled the lake’s endless blue surface.

Link and Crowley began their final day at Brighton Beach, hiking six miles to downtown Duluth. They finished exactly where they began their hike on a blustery, gray April 29. The hikers said their walk reinforced their faith in humanity.

“Go for a long walk, and you can disregard what you see in news,” Crowley said.

“Four grumpy people in 1,550 miles,” Link added.

Bill and Beth Blank of Lutsen were among those who greeted the hikers in Duluth. Beth had made supper meals for the first 30 days of the hike and the couple spent 10 days with Link and Crowley in Michigan.

“Too many people are afraid to dream, and even those who do fail to follow them, so to do something like this is inspiring,” Beth Blank said.

They were impressed with the physical stamina that Link and Crowley exhibited, averaging 12 to 15 miles a day on the days they hiked.

“A lot of people tried to hike with them and made only a couple of miles and gave up,” Bill Blank said.

Only a few others have hiked around the lake, including a solo hiker in the 1980s, according to Lake Superior Magazine, and others who did it in relay fashion.

Link and Crowley plan to write a book about their experience.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  2. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Did they carry all the food and tents and stuff with them?

3. Necroticpus

Ya, and refilled whenever they got to a town. I bet they could outperform all the younguns in marine bootcamp!

Last edited: Sep 19, 2010
  4. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Oh, so they were not travelling through the wilderness all the time, they had towns all over the way... But nice accomplishment anyway.

<And I dare to write this! When my longest hike was 3.45 hours long... An affront! Such people should keep their mouth shut! (or, rather, their keyboard plugged off!)>

5. Necroticpus

After I'm finished with working 6 days a week at 12 hours a day for 3 months, I'm going to buy a ticket to Russia and start my walk around the perimeter of Asia proper.

6. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

Why not to start at Saudi Arabia, Korea or India then?

Oh, I know the answer! Because Russia is the greatest country on Earth!

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Ensign Chekov Lives! ;)

8. Necroticpus

No way, man. Did you see the three hikers who were picked up and treated as spies in Iraq? I have no interest in staying at the graybar hotel in some third world country, eating rats and bugs and being tortured for intelligence information that I don't have.

9. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Since Intelligence IS information, you should say, "...for intelligence I don't have." :p

10. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Me thinks someone just got called dumb. :poke:

11. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

Somebody draw him a picture or he'll never get it.

I just can't stand seeing Necro standing around, his brow furrowed in a vain attempt to comprehend.

12. Necroticpus

These days I don't stand around, my brow furrowed in a vain attempt to comprehend. Until my skunk toe heals all the way, I sit as much as possible, my brow furrowed in a vain attempt to comprehend. :yes:

13. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Ah, so your a wuss. Not man enough to stand up and take your medicine dude? Eh?! :D (Hope you understand I am just joking). It is really the skunks diabolical plan to bring you to your knees-ya know?

14. Necroticpus

I bought a really choice bike trainer and a great 26" mountain bike, used at a rummage sale. Both for $30 total! Nothing wrong with either of them except I'm going to get a tune-up on the bike because it's been sitting in the guy's garage for 2 winters. I'm going to set them up in the basement and ride everyday when the freaking snow and cold is keeping all of the criminals indoors for the winter.

15. Sergio Morozov

Sergio Morozov Paladin

That is ultra-cheap. Must be some catch here!

Our Host!