Error when starting front-end

Discussion in 'ToEE Front-End X' started by sironion, Jul 8, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. sironion

sironion Member

"This program must be started from the Temple of Elemental Evil root folder.

NOTE:If you are running the Front-End from the game folder but are still getting this error, make sure you have installed the official ToEE Patch 2 before continuing."

I've installed patch two already, and I've ran the .exe from both the desktop and the root folder. I have the jewel case version of the game. Anyone know what the problem could be? I checked the common issues thread, but the only one there applied to the D2D version of the game.

2. Zebedee

Zebedee Veteran Member Veteran

Can I just check - you have installed the game according to the stickied instructions? And this error is present when you try to load up the Frontend?

Silly questions but someone's got to ask ;)

edit: I'd suggest a total reinstall, and following the instructions in the sticky if you haven't already done this - it might also be worthwhile installing .NET 1.1 before .NET 2 as that can sometimes help. Never had any problems getting frontend to load when I've followed the instructions in the readme so I'm not certain on what's going on and I think you'll have to wait for some more possible solutions when Agetian sees this post. Have a look through the stickied frontend post too - haven't got time myself but there may be some ideas in it to help you self-fix for the moment.

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
  3. Agetian

Agetian Attorney General Administrator

It's the first time I see a report like this and a problem like this, so without some details about how the game was installed, what files were used to patch the game (the file names and where they were found, on what site and so on), it's really tough to say what exactly caused the error. If you say you installed and patched the game correctly, you should not be getting this error.

The error you are talking about ONLY appears if the game can't validate the ToEE folder as a valid game folder with patch 2 installed. It does so by checking for the presence of files ToEE.exe, temple.dll, and modules/ToEE.dat within the ToEE folder, and then later by checking the size of temple.dll (must be 3,440,640 bytes, which is the size used in patch 2 and moebius-Drifter fixed DLL). I may have even removed the file size check in the later builds (don't have the source at the computer where I'm at the moment, so can't check).

If all of the above are true, and the TempleFrontend.exe is executed from the same folder as ToEE.exe, the Front-End boots normally. If at least one of the above is false, the Front-End gives the error you reported and waits until you install and patch up the game correctly.

I hope this helps.
    This is definitely some kind of an installation issue. Let me know if you were able to sort it out.

Sorry, but without more details on the folder you installed the game to, its contents, and so on, I'm afraid I can't help you more. If you provide me with some more details as to how you installed, where you installed, where you got the patches from and what were the patch executable file names, etc., I may be able to help more.

- Agetian

Last edited: Jul 10, 2006
Our Host!