Eberk speed nerf

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by bignickel, Nov 26, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. bignickel

bignickel Member

So, after a KILLER battle with that mad wizard a few days ago, in which I just barely kept everyone technically alive, I was quite stoked. However, I noticed that cleric Eberk kept having a note of 'escaped' appear near his character while just walking around. And also, the rolls display would keep saying that he made or didn't make random strength checks while we were walking around.

And then I noticed in a battle that he couldn't hardly WALK anywhere without the indicator going yellow red hardly any distance away from him.

No curse icon, no disease icon. I tried remove curse and remove disease. I removed everything on him until he was 0 weight. Nothing. His speed said he was at speed 10, and the game says dwarfs should be at speed 20. Now it says he's at speed 5, even thought he's got every hp (except 1 non-lethal damage he took)

All of this makes him pretty useless as a fighter except for chucking rocks, and he certainly isn't great for running up to anyone and healing them mid-battle. Any ideas?

(current possessions: green elven chain, morning star +1, large wooden shield, brown leather gloves, brown leather shoes, sling, bag of bullets, secret door search tool: total weight 42. Not encumbered)

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, I think we can say something is affecting him. Did he get any spells cast on him during the Mad Wizard fight? Otherwise, could you wrap up a save and post it here and I will check it out.

3. bignickel

bignickel Member

I'd be amazed if ANYONE in that battle didn't have something cast on them. Uploading my last save files, hope they're the ones you want. Thanks much.

Attached Files:

4. Shiningted

Ok, gave it a go (it loaded, yay) and had a run around. I will document the problem here so if someone else has it, well, its already here.

- confirmed everything you said
    - dropping stuff then picking it up caused the 'escaped!' floatline you mentioned, at least some of the time
    - overencumbering him then taking it off did nothing (occasionally needed to remind the engine to change encumberance levels, if your strength goes up etc)
    - resting for 17 days did not let him sleep it off
    - having him 'escaped' seemed to restore a random amount of speed - he went from 5' to, I saw, 6', 10' and 12'. Back to 5' as soon as he did anything.
    - did NOT have the 'Breakfree' option in his radial menu, even in combat (so not sure what he was 'escaping' from).
    - Dispel Magic didn't do anything.

So, I tried the 'Jaroo' trick - killing and raising him, that did it. Back to 20'.

I would recommend doing that and just consoling him back to his usual XP. Console a scroll of Raise Dead, this is not cheating as it is a standard bug workaround for lingering spell effects (you probably know that).

Fascinated by the way you play, btw - love having a look at how people approach the game. You seem to have finished almost all the quests and got the Masterwork Weapons going too :)

5. bignickel

bignickel Member

Thanks much. I was able to kill Eberk, and I had created a Raise Dead scroll, although no one was able to use it (roll to use magical device of 18: eventually passed, roll for DC 30 afterwards: not ever passed); I just got Flay to raise him, and then gave myself money to compensate. Eberk is back to normal.
    Yeah, I heard about the missing party, and spiders, and that I had to finish 2 postings in order to be told about Caves of Chaos, so I tried to deal with the spiders, but was getting my butt kicked, so went deal with the hermit and harpies to level up... so after all that, which led to the lizardmen, which led to the dragon, etc.... I finally made it to the Caves. A bit late. I'm glad my fighter has Greater Cleave for those crowded battles.
    The only thing I kept looking for but couldn't find was Suffragette City: no matter how much I talked to Provisioner and his wife, they never brought up anything I could do for them. Shame, as I'd be willing to help.
    Everything else has been a blast. When did I pick up my first D&D Basic set? 1980? 81? And KOTB was my first dungeon. When I found out about KOTB mod for TOEE... THAT'S what made my pluck down my money with GOG and buy it. Learning 3.5 has been interesting. Wish more stuff had come out over the years using the engine. Maybe someday someone will do a Against the Giants mod that leads to Queen of the Demonweb Pits...

6. Shiningted

Maybe... Against the Giants is definitely doable. (The opening fights in the pub would probably be the trickiest part).

Anyways, glad you liked it. I think you played a bit like I played BG the first time without knowing the 2e changes. If you replay, the main thing would be to have a face character (party leader who does the talking) who has all the social skills maxxed out - Diplomacy, Gather Information and to a lesser sense Sense Motive, Intimidate and Bluff. This really needs a Rogue for the face, or at least a Bard (though your Paladin would come a respectable third). Also, play an evil party, steal and intimidate and deal with the evil folks and you'll get a solid half of the game you have missed. :)

Suffragette City is a strange one, now that I check it, but the reason you never got is is that none of your PCs have any sort of Sense Motive skill. I would suggest pump up Alhandra's as she has it as a class skill, and a +1 Wisdom bonus. Anyway, when you have done that (ie next level up) talk to the Provisioner, tell him you want to ask him some questions, then say, "I have some goods I wish to sell, what kind of deal can you do for me?" Then choose the Sense Motive option ("there's something more to this!" or some such thing) and use your character with a Sense Motive of 4 or more, that should get it at least mentioned in your log book.

In all honesty you may struggle to finish it because it is something you need to be able to barter a success with the Guild, eg if you rescue some merchants or something you can negotiate to plead the Provisioner's cause as your reward. I think you have done those quests already.

EDIT: I checked your game, did you rescue the merchant who was gathering spider silk from his underground problems? If not, he's in the north west of the Spider Woods maze.

2nd EDIT: Never mind, you found him ;)

Last edited: Nov 30, 2021
  7. bignickel

bignickel Member

Well, wonder of wonders, I did get them to open up to me. However... talking to the guy at the guild... I find I can't bring up the whole matter with him. It's just 'hows biz?' and 'tell me the history of the guild' (which leads nowhere), and 'I want to speak to you about this quest I'm doing (which you're going to fail me on)'
    Also tried my hand at 'who's raiding the trading' but the cleric at the end refuses to tell me he talked to anyone else... just passes the buck back to the guild. And telling the guild master that is just a fail.
    Ah well, pretty much near the end of the game anyway. Time to kick the Evil Temple's collective keister.

8. Shiningted

Yeah, Who's Raiding the Trading is the longest and hardest quest, it needs a bunch of skill checks to pass, including Spot and Knowledge (Nature) at the very end (when you confront the Priest).

The Guild guy will only respond about Suffragette City if you have something to offer, like you've rescued a merchant.

Just enjoy the Caves ;) Hope the finale works out ok!

Our Host!