Dwarf Fighter/Monk build

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Jul 7, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

What is the current status of monk abilities levels 11-20?

IIRC, Improved Flurry and Greater flurry have not been implemented. Thus, monks get one additional attack at a cost of -2 to all attacks, right?

I remember creating a half-orc monk before and equipping the off-hand with a kama with two weapon fighting path. That was quite effective, especially when the kama was enchanted.

So, with a dwarf taking 1 level of fighter and gaining access to an extra feat and martial (incl. reach weapons), how would the monk class enhance this character? Until what level of monk does it no longer pay to continue - at which point return to Fighter.

Thanks for the advice!

2. nyarlathotep

nyarlathotep Merry Murder Maniac

Why only a simple Fighter/monk, when you can just as well put some lvls of wizard on him? I have F9/M3/W(Illusionist)3 dwarf in my good aligned party, & while his AC is not the best - because of his QStaff preference- his blur & mirror image can make it very hard for an enemy to hit him. With a few more buffs (prot vs evil, stoneskin, fireshield*,...) he is a true terror on the battlefield. Damagewise not the best, but still pretty damn decent.

Anyhow, I would say lvl5 is the maximum you want in Monk, and 2 levels the minimum.

*: My main wizard made him a wand of fireshield

3. vendur

vendur Member

Greater flurry works fine.

I see no real reason to combine monks/fighters. You might as well go for TWF for more hits and stay with a fighter/dip into barbarian for movement and rage. I could see, in this case, simply adding 1 level if only for the increase in saving throws. But again, monk means no barb. Which sucks IMO.

Scrap the fighter idea and make it a human war cleric, hit level 7 with high enough wisdom to gain a bonus level 4 spell (with perhaps minor crafting). You can get 3 castings of divine power. 21 rounds of fighter BAB on top of the bonus flurry attack(s). Stay with monk until 11 and get greater flurry. So war cleric to 7 then monk to 11. Human, not a stumpy. Divine favor for 2 more never hurt anyone either.

The great thing about this character is it completely demolishes the biggest problem of monk -- mediocre BAB.

Last edited: Jul 11, 2014
  4. vendur

vendur Member

Actually i did come up with a reason why someone might want to go with a fighter/monk. basically, if they want the improved tripping feat(possibly the best melee feat in the game) and they want to totally gimp their intelligence,

Other than that it's either a tiny dip(1-2) or massive commitment until greater flurry (with the intention of playing as a monk rather then a fighter).

5. Basil the Timid

Ok, so what you are saying is Monk 11 gives 1 more attack per round, right? I totally forget what C08 did beyond level 12. IIRC, they put an item to allow the monk to dimension door at level 12. Was spell resistance implemented? Quivering Palm? Anything else?

Thanks for your suggestions. I like the tripping of the monk and the stability of a dwarf. I was thinking of making this character a weapon finessing spiked chain and switching to unarmed strikes, but that will probably make tripping a lot harder.

Oh, how was the monk belt implemented? As PnP or did Co8 have to find some alternative?

6. vendur

vendur Member

Ya, 11 monk will get 2 free attacks at full bab if the primary hand holds a monk weapon. I don't know much about abilities over 11 cause it's kinda silly to bother with it honestly. Same with monk oriented crafting stuff.

I do believe the spell resist feat does work.

Monks don't have any special tripping power, they just get the improved tripping for free at level 6. If anything as far as melee characters they tend to be weaker trippers since they won't have access to rage or reach weapons.

Last edited: Jul 12, 2014
  7. Basil the Timid

ah, but a Fighter/Monk does have access to reach weapons! A pity that none of those are flurriable. No kusarigama!

8. vendur

vendur Member

Ya, you can use a reach weapon and be an "awesome" low BAB fighter with a skirt. Also there is the unbalanced weapons like "always hit" swords and great cleavers. Which monks could also "technically use" if they wanted, But why? Maybe they could flag the spiked chain as a monk weapon, eh? very similar to the kusarigama

9. Basil the Timid

This gives me an idea. I would lower the damage dice though to 1d6 and make it bludgeoning/slashing.

Is there a PnP rule that forbids combining Flurry with Power Attack? I can't believe I am forgetting all of these things.

*Edit* I tried to flag the spiked chain as a nunchaku but it would neither flurry nor behave as a reach weapon. I do not believe this can be done, but I welcome a true modder to correct me.

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
  10. vendur

vendur Member

I generally only used monk dips for my characters in PnP so I'm not much a lawyer on them, but from what I recall monks fists should not get 2x power attack, nor should any of the one handed light weapons(almost every monk weapon), But the 2hd weapons should get the bonus, and the full 2x per BAB bonus. And unarmed/fists should just be 1x. And pretty much everything else gets zippo for monk. Vut I recall something about the ability to use a 1hd weapon with 2 hands to generate a 1x power attack. Something like that.

Last edited: Jul 13, 2014
  11. Basil the Timid

Dual wielding a one handed weapon yields x2 BAB power attack damage. If a buckler is used, the game will assume 1-h, if no buckler then 2-h

Last edited: Jul 14, 2014
Our Host!