Druids and shields

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by erkper, Jun 27, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Hey, I just noticed - my druid can equip any shield, even metal ones that say they are prohibited by class, and I don't see any penalty for it. Am I missing something?

2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

are you using the druid armour light-medium patch, if you are it might be what it is. last time I checked druids couldn't use metal armour/sheilds

3. erkper

I am not sure that is the cause. When was the light and medium armor fix implemented? I find the same thing using either 4.0.1 or 5.0.0 - if I try to equip metal armor, I get an item transfer error, but metal shields equip even though the "prohibited" tooltip shows up when I float the mouse over them in inventory.

4. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

it is an optional patch that you can choose to use through front end but it sounds like you're not using it. you could just not equip you druid with metal shields, there are some pretty good wooden ones.

go the dragonhide plate, darkwood shields and enchanted +3 keen scimitars of frost

5. erkper

I think I probably do have the option on - I don't really remember setting it up, but my druid does have light and medium armor feats, not druid armor feat. Since I am using my (elven) druid as a longbow archer, I think I'll hold out for the darkwood buckler. Just thought it was strange when I accidentally equipped a metal shield.:shrug:

6. moralgay

moralgay Bertram Rider lv.2!

Druids should also have Heavy Armor feat by default so you can use Trollbone Armor or Dragon Scale Armor as well.

7. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

No, they shouldn't. By the rules, a druid has proficiency in light and medium armor. If you want to wear heavy armor, take a feat or take a level in fighter.

8. Vendegaar

Vendegaar Cornish Avenger

I have always wondered (even since the old PnP days) why druids can use Scimitars. Do they have some non-metalic versions that I am not aware of?

As I remember - not too long ago - there were ceramic knives for use in the kitchen. Are Druid scimitars made of the same kind of material? They were subject to breakage though.

The wooden shield I can understand, but metal weapons???

9. Kalshane

Kalshane Local Rules Geek

Druids aren't banned from using metal weapons.

In previous additions, they were restricted to weapons that resembled traditional "druidic" tools. The scimitar was there because it was kind-of sort-of like a sickle. (Don't ask me, I didn't design the game.)

In 3.5, druids have specific weapons they are proficient in, but they are not restricted in what weapons they can use.

They are still restricted in what armor and shields they can use. (Something about wearing metal disrupting their connection to nature or some other BS.)

10. Drew

Drew Kind of a prick

You aren't trying to imply that metal actually comes from nature are you? Where've you been, man? Everyone knows that all of our metal was actually left here by aliens, like, 100 million years ago. Next your going to go implying that the earth rotates around the sun or something. Idiot......

11. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Stop mocking Scientology - it has charity status, therefore it is legit.

It also has a well-established pathology - errr, I mean background.

12. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

all metal is synthetic didn't you know

Our Host!