Domains and spell modding

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Basil the Timid, Mar 18, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I remember it was written quite some time ago that the Air Domain had some major problems. What are/were they?

The only thing that I can see that is a bit strange is Gaseous Form, which included the Shield bonus from a wooden shield, but not from Bracers of Armor (FORCE). Deflection bonuses, Mage Armor, and Shield spell should be applied. Where would a modder go to change these things?

One good thing is that a Silent + Still spell DOES work, whereas all others are miscast.

Could the animation be changed to make the character appear like an air elemental or something along those lines?

The List of Console Commands thread has Zuggtmoy with 4 elemental domains plus Plant. I have noticed that Belsornig and Kelno have Evil and Alrrem has War. Is there a need to be consistent?

Also, in addition to Ashrem, the other temple priests do not have domains listed in protos.tab. Is that a problem? I suppose it would be if Dominate Person were utilized.

I am also wondering about these things because I hope to put SUGGESTION back into the game, albeit with a very short duration just like Dominate Animal (x rounds). It would allow the player a temporary ally who could fight in ONE battle, loot equipment, or talk in some cases. Where would I go to research how this spell and others work?

2. Basil the Timid

How do the domain_special (x) spells work? Darley's don't work. I tried changing the spell level - no go. I tried giving her monster hit dice - no go.

Do Senshock's Summon Elementals work?

3. Basil the Timid

Edit: I had tried making Darley's "domain" spells wizard spells, cleric spells. I tried by improving her wisdom from 9. I tried by giving her monster hit dice.

The only workaround that I could manage is to add her spell-like abilities (which are mostly cleric and druid spells: Desecrate, Unholy Blight, Poison, Contagion) as extra Sorcerer spells, including Blasphemy as a known 6th level spell, which will be usable if she makes it to 12th level. (Normally, spell-like abilities for half-fiends are acquired at odd-levels).

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  4. Basil the Timid

Interestingly, when Darley made it to 11th level, her spell-like abilities (which were given as extra sorcerer spells) appear as wizard 9 spells on the radial menu - except Contagion, which is still on the sorcerer menu - all still usable (3 spell slots for 4 spell-like abilities). In addition, Blasphemy became usable at 11th level - as it would in PnP so that's cool!

So, my recommendation for Darley (if we want to keep her as Sor10 + 4 LA = 14 EL) is to make the following changes.

Change her human form to human type, not chaotic evil outsider as per Polymorph rules. Remove the Extraplanar NPC flag on her human form. Her human form does not and should not lose any of her Special Qualities (resistances, etc...), so those stay the same. Her human form does, however, lose the Natural Armor +1.

Smite Good does not appear on her radial menu. I tried and failed to give her the Destruction Domain.

Her ability scores should be S13,D10,C16,I15,W9,Ch14 (I suggest switching her Int and Cha since the latter is the prime requisite of her class, so she can cast her 5th level spells, etc...).

Her spells + spell-like abilities could / should be (based on 1st ed module and 3.5 rules for Half-fiends:
    0-level: no space in protos.tab (but because Suggestion is currently not available, perhaps Read Magic would be best)
    1st level: Charm Person, plus 4 others (currently missing 2)
    2nd level: Desecrate plus 4 spells (currently missing 2)
    3rd level: Vampiric Touch, Suggestion, Unholy Blight, plus 1 spell (currently has 2 - Summon III and Blink)
    4th level: (Polymorph - if it existed), Dimension Door, Poison (currently has additional spell - Stoneskin)
    5th level: Contagion, plus 1 spell
    6th level: Blasphemy

I have no real beef with her feats although Combat Casting is not very useful for her due to high Con (and level). I wonder if either that feat or her Greater Spell Focus (Enchantment) should be changed to Spell Focus (Necromancy or Evocation) since her spell-like abilities fall into these schools. Her other spells should probably be, for the most part, chosen from these schools to reap the benefit of the feats.

Last edited: Mar 31, 2009
  5. Basil the Timid

Originally Posted by Allyx
    Adding spells to the spellbook, you need to modify the following files...

data/mes/spell.mes which has spell names and descriptions in it.
    data/rules/spelllist.mes seems to have details about how the spell is cast.
    data/rules/spell_enum.mes has the links to the fll description in Help.tab.
    data/rules/spells/*.txt are the textfiles that determine how the spells are cast in the game and who can add them to their spell lists each spell has it's own .txt file, but can be defined to be learnable by all casters or none as appropriate.
    data/scr/SPELL### - *.py contains the spell script itself, which determines what actually happens when it is cast.

I am trying to compare SUGGESTION with DOMINATE ANIMAL, but I don't see the txt file for the latter in data/rules/spells/ nor data/scr/

Last edited: Mar 24, 2009
  6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

What a curious place to put your question... :blink:

ToEE4.dat has the stuff from the patches (the latest files). Otherwise try ToEE3.dat.

7. Basil the Timid

So the data from dat4 overrides that of dat3? If I mod 4 then there is no need to change 3? For example, I see that 139 - Dominate Animal.txt is in both.

8. Shiningted

Yah, so the latest version is from Dat4. If you mod it, then the version in your data/rules/spells folder (or wherever it goes) will override the DATs.

9. Basil the Timid

Is it possible to make Charm spells more rules compliant? From what I understand, Charm changes the creature's faction, and may even attack his previous faction members. Would it be possible to have the charmed creature NOT attack his previous allies - that is, simply stay neutral in that kind of situation.

10. Basil the Timid

How was Lareth's NOT changing his faction when joining the party handled by Co8?

11. Shiningted

Once he is in the party as a character under the player's control, he can be made to do anything :shrug:

12. Basil the Timid

I remember Kent saying something about changes that would make Lareth to always be a "pariah". But I see that the townsfolk merely grumble.

13. Basil the Timid

Her polymorphed human form should also lose the physical ability traits of her original fiend form. Thus, STR-4, Dex-4, Con-2. Currently, in protos, she has STR17, DEX14, CON18, INT18, WIS9, CHA19 for both forms. Obviously, Troika added the half-fiend adjustments without realizing that her polymorphing (as per module) into human form would lower her physical ability scores.

Also, it does not seem to be necessary to change the NPC flag (at least as far as I can tell).

Last edited: Aug 26, 2009
  14. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Lareth in the party created a lot of problems for my Golden Skull mod. He would cry about being killed everytime the party entered Hommlet, and his dialog would mess up the dialog from other NPCS (Burne, Wakefield) in the invasion/defense of Hommlet.

It would be nice if there was a way to permanently have Lareth in the group, or just have a .dlg line to the effect of 'Never attempt to run away when we are in town or you will be killed', which could flag something to remove his dlg commands to flee.

Then again, I am probably one of the few people that tried bringing Lareth to a high level.

15. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

There's a simple fix for Lareth's .dlg to keep him from running off. Morpheus sent me a dlg file to keep the npc's from running off and causing the dreaded blue circle. It works on Lareth also. It's been a few years but I may have it on file somewhere. I'll check into it.
    You can try an edit of the dlg file. Try deleting pc.follower_remove(npc), and where it says npc_run_off, or run_off. It should keep him from leaving at anytime.

Last edited: Aug 27, 2009
Our Host!