Disengage from combat? Hide using Invis?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by yangwenli, May 26, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. yangwenli

yangwenli Member

Are there spells which can disengage or prevent enemies from attacking you? I assume sanctuary is one, but isn't 100% reliable...

I tried to use invis, but after casting it, I still get attacked.

That Obscuring Mist is very powerful...Within the mist, you have 100% concealment vs. ranged enemies so you're safe from archers.

That LG vignette is a breeze with this spell alone. Wish the AI was smarter and switch to melee afterwards though.

An annoying thing prior to my play through is I'm not 100% sure how some of the spells will behave so need a bit more experience with a lot of these spells and testing to see if they can be relied on.

2. Gehennis

Gehennis Established Member

There are no spells to my knowledge that sill prevent enemies from attacking you although spells like Charm Person/Monster and Scare work- while in combat- to a degree to keep one of them from doing so. The only spell that I know of that prevents taking any kind of damage until it fades is of course Otiluke's Resistant Sphere- but you know that the drawback to that is that you can't attack as well- although it does occur to me that since Spiritual Weapons draw attacks away from characters would it be possible to put Otiluke's Resistant Sphere on a Spiritual Weapon and what would happen if it were possible?

3. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

Sanctuary

4. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

In some cases flee combat from your movement menu is a lifesaver.

5. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

I have had my wizard use the robes of midnight in the middle of a battle and it worked like "hide in plain sight" even though she was not a thief/assassin and she was completely ignored by the bugbears.

To be a little more clear, first she cast a fireball then the next turn she used the robes and she was ignored until she attacked, she stood there in the middle of everything for a few rounds drinking potions and having bugbears run around and past her.

It was freaking perfect!

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Otiluke's Resilient Sphere.

7. sirchet

Ahh, but like Gehennis said earlier, the sphere protects you, or does it really protect "them" from you?

I consider that spell a self imposed prison of sorts. ;)

8. Gaear

Ooops, how did I miss that?

Anyway it can buy some time though when NPCs use it, such as Barkinar in his new routine ... :)

9. sirchet

I just ran into Barky supporting his buddie in his buddy's room for the first time thanks to your improved routines and it was most excellent!

Now back on track and sorry about the quick derailing of the thread. ;)

10. yangwenli

yangwenli Member

Thanks for sharing this info...Didn't know about this spell. Can you heal yourself and buff yourself while in the sphere? I could test, but if someone knew off hand...would save me some time to create a char and console level him up...

11. Gaear

IIRC, you can't do anything at all.

12. yangwenli

yangwenli Member

That's a bummer. I'm familiar with the Etheral Jaunt spell in NWN2 where you are safe after casting it, but nothing here so far.

Playing solo, I guess you'd still be stuck. Maybe you can sphere a pet and have the mob get them first while you wear them down...

I'll probably test dimension door and see if you can teleport around the battlefield to safely at least and run away.

Our Host!