Discussion for thrown weapons

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by hammyh, Sep 3, 2021.

Remove all ads!
  1. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

I've been testing throwing spears/javelin for a bit and I have these thoughts:

Although the SRD throwing ranges are implemented, I'm not sure that this translates well to ToEE. I think that at a minimum, javelin should be increased by at least 10' to 40' increment, considering that it can not be used in melee in ToEE. And possibly spears. Consider that there is a new xbow sniper feat that allows for 60' sneak attacks.

It's pretty hard to avoid a range penalty unless in combat range for throwing spears, and javelins are only slightly better.

I've been using a longspear radius as a guide -> character visible diameter is 20', which is the spear throwing increment.

Also,
    Is there a better way to determine range, such as some mouse-over that I am unaware of?

Last edited: Sep 3, 2021
  2. Pygmy

Pygmy Established Member Supporter

The scout class uses a formula comparing the location of the scout before or after moving to check he/she has moved 10 ft and is thus eligible for skirmish bonuses.
    You can use the DM to see the location of character and his/her target; you can then enter a modification of the scout skirmish formula into a spreadsheet and calculate the precise distance between character and target.

3. hammyh

Thanks for the idea...I'll think on it and might study the problem to see if this could be scripted in game - I might be talking BS here.

The manual spreadsheet calc is a bit too much effort for each ranged shot for me atm; I'm not quite that obsessive yet. I'm starting to get a feel for the visual distance - I suppose that'll do for now.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

You can use the movement preview mode (hold alt) and see the path length that's green - that's your base movement rate, which is usually 20 or 30 ft.

5. hammyh

Ahh, good suggestion. I never use the preview mode and forgot about it. I'll try this.

6. hammyh

Is it possible to add ground items to the dead-body loot scrolling?

For QoL = collecting thrown weapons that missed the target.

Our Host!