Dialogue Editor

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Allyx, Feb 3, 2006.

Remove all ads!
  1. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hey, I've been here over a year, but even I didn't know about this Dialogue Editor, quite a nifty little program too ;)

Now those budding dialogue writers have no more excuses... GET WRITING!!!

Morpheus, could you add this to the download section?

Last edited by a moderator: Feb 21, 2006
  2. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

hey thats great :thumbsup:

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

There's a what now? :blink:

4. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

FYI, I tested this a couple of days ago, and it crashed on me (I hadn't saved my stuff before, of course). So, use this editor at your own risk.

5. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Hmm, Agetian said he had problems with it too, maybe I should delete this thread?

6. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

It works for me if I am adding stuff to the middle of the file. Addidng stuff to the end of the file doesn't seem to work. And it doesn't like blank lines in a file. It won't read past them.

7. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

For people who don't have Excel, and thus can't use Agetian's marvelous new dialog writing tool, or people who want to edit existing dialogs, I have been working on making this one work. Here is what I have come up with.

The dialog template below seems to work with the editor. Just load it up and make your dialog. When you are done use the "Save As" button and put in whatever you want to name your dialog file. The editor usually saves them in the folder that the editor is in, but once for some reason it saved it on level up. Before you use the dlg file you created, open it in Notepad and delete everything after the last line of dialog you wrote.

To edit existing dlg files, open the file and the dialog template in Notepad. Copy everything in the dialog template from line 32762 to the end, and paste it into the existing dlg file you want to edit. Save the file and close. Now you should be able to edit the dlg file using the dlG3editor. When you are done, open the file in Notepad again and delete the lines you pasted in previously.

I'm am not sure if you really need to delete the lines after creating a new dlg file or editing an existing one. The tests I have run seem to indicate that it is not necessary, but I did not test every dialog file. You can leave them in if you want, but it may end up displaying those lines in the game.

Anyway, without further adu, here is the template.

EDIT: Decided to sticky this thread so this editor doesn't get misplaced again.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Feb 18, 2006
Our Host!