Detect Secret doors

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Kneller1, May 25, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

From the TOEE bug report thread:
    Wouldn't the solution be the same as it is for detect evil? That the map needs to refresh before it will do anything. By refresh I mean either moving to another map, or saving and re-loading. [I also remember someone saying the inventory screen will do it but not sure]

2. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Yup, this is exactly correct. I just had this issue not too long ago with the moathouse side entrance from the inside. I came in through the freaking door but it disappeared while I was clearing the bottom floor and went I went to go out of it, it was gone, but after I refreshed the map, it was there again.

3. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

OK, also; while we're not on the subject:
    What would you say is a ridiculously high but reasonably achievable Search DC for a secret door to have?
    The idea being that only high level (17-20) chacters will find it.

Also, do elves get a search roll when near a secret door as I believe is intended or do they just automatically always appear?

4. Necroticpus

30 30 30 30 30 30. Sorry, posting requires minimum character length. :p

5. ShadowDeth

ShadowDeth Save Versus : Stupid

30 isn't that high, it means a character around that level can take a ten with mastery and auto find it.

And, because 10 is the average roll on a D20, and a 17th-20th level character trained in search will likely have something like 22-24 ranks and then whatever INT bonus, so if don't want them to find the trap with skill mastery or get it the second time they search i'd up it to 35+.

a DC35 means a 17-20th level character finds it about 25% of the time. DC30 is 50%.

6. Necroticpus

I've run into a severe game breaking problem.

I cannot find any secret doors at all, ever. My 10th level rogue with 12-14 search and spot cannot find any secret doors, even with a concentrated search. Couldn't find them in the moathouse, can't find them in the temple. Can't find the one that conceals the ORB!

I've reactivated the game and no dice.

7. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Our Host!