D&D Alignment System and your ToEE PCs

Discussion in 'General Discussion' started by Old Book, Sep 21, 2005.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Old Book

Old Book Established Member

Long night, nothing on TV, so:

I’ve never liked the D&D alignment system. Mentally balanced adults in the Real World â„¢ do not consider themselves to be Evil. They may be complete bastards, they may prance and prattle about their Evilness in their teens and early twenties (when Evil means “Can do things that mum would never approve of†or “Not a wussy little victim, no matter what X saysâ€), but most people think of themselves as the heroes of their own stories. Most people think of themselves as Good, especially the real monsters. It gets more complicated in D&D worlds, where there really is measurable Good and Evil, Law and Chaos, and where these things exist regardless of human opinion.

So, I was wondering, how do you think of Good, Evil, Law and Chaos in the mind of a D&D ToEE character? How do your characters see themselves in terms of alignment?

Here’s one party’s view of alignment:

Yamamoto, LN Wizard. Self discipline and honor are everything. Life is about duties, obligations, traditions, and clear-eyed agreements that both sides must obey. The greatest good is achieved when people act in a calm and rational manner.

Tenmujiin, NG Cleric. Acting in the best interest of the community, friends and self, in that order, is everything. Happiness is found in helping others, and in building a healthy family, community, and nation. Sometimes this may mean acting outside of tradition, turning your back on discipline in favor of freedom. In other cases, it may mean giving up personal freedom of action for the greater good, at least for a while. The greatest good is achieved when people balance the demands of duty against the natural desire for freedom, and attempt to act in the best interests of all involved.

Yamanobaba, CN Rogue / Fighter / Barbarian. Personal freedom is everything. People should do what they want, when they want, for whatever reasons make sense to them, and should be free to change their minds any time they’d like. Laws, rules and traditions are meaningless prattle. There may be a need to consider others, but the needs of others must be balanced against the needs of the self. If you are hungry, eat. If that means stealing bread from the baker, steal it. If you feel bad about it, find a way to pay him back later. The greatest good is achieved when everyone is free to act on their own best judgement.

Gojira, NE Wizard. Self interest is everything. If you don’t take care of yourself, no one will. Sometimes it’s best to tell the truth, sometimes it’s best to lie, sometimes you keep your word and sometimes you break it. You do whatever needs to be done to get what you want. The greatest good is achieved when everyone looks out for their own best interests.

Tsu, N Druid. Moderation and balance are everything. The needs of others must be weighed against the needs of the self, the demands of duty and tradition must be weighed against personal freedom and changing circumstances. An act that seems good may cause great harm in the long term, an act that seems evil may bring about a worthy end. The greatest good is achieved when the needs and goals of all involved are considered over the long term. Sometimes, the wisest course of action is to refrain from acting at all.

So, how do your characters view their alignments?

2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I know this isn't quite what you asked (sorry), but I think you're a bit mistaken about this --

However, you've got it exactly right in your own words later in the post re: the NE wizard (minus the "greatest good" line at the end):

I'm convinced that this summation is precisely the operational standard that most people operate under, minus any melodrama having to do with "the depravity of humanity" or "wretched self-interest" claims; and I don't submit that as some childish 'feel sorry for me!' gesture.

Most people will reliably behave as you describe above. Just add a twist of boredom to the equation and you've got humanity pegged. I envy your ingenuousness for still feeling that way OB, but my god, the awful things people do to one another belies the sad truth. :no:

Hey, sorry for derailing your thread right off the bat . . .

3. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

Well Gaear, since you've turned this into a human psychology discussion ....

I both agree and disagree with you. Almost every human on this planet has some degree of empathy towards other humans. It is part of human nature as a social animal. However, this empathy tends to take a kind of tribal mentality, a sort of us and them sort of thing, where us is everyone in your tribe (family, circle of friends, village, community, parish, etc.) and them is everyone outside of your tribe. The problem lies in the way that western civilization to some extent, and the culture in the US to a great extent, has erroded the sense of family and community to a point that the us is the individual and the them is everyone else. You do still see empathy emerge in the face of great disasters, but in day to day life it does seem to be missing.

Anyway, that's my take on it. I hope it makes some sort of sense.

Oh, and btw, if you ever do run across one of those rare individuals with absolutely no empathy whatsoever, run.

4. Old Book

I should have added that a fair percentage of people think of humanity in general as Evil, as measured against their own personal standard of virtue. ;)

5. Old Book

I usually rely on the evolutionary biology model as put forth by Helen Fisher and others for this. :) Humans are generally most concerned with their own needs, followed by those of their family and tribe, Outsiders are generally seen as less important (and less real) than tribe members and treated accordingly. It's much easier to ignore the abstract pain of an anonymous outsider than that of an identified group member. Altruism comes in when we start to identify (or mis-identify) progressively more genetically distant individuals as group members, and start to place a higher value on their needs. This is often a good genetic survival strategy even as it may prove to be a poor survival strategy for the individual. An individual who sacrifices for the welfare of his or her own offspring has improved the chances that his or her genes will remain viable. When he sacrifices for the welfare of his neighbor's offspring, he has increased the chance that the group may survive, and thus protected his genetic line within that group. Caring for sick and injured group members has similar benefits, including the possibility of receiving such care in the future. Selfishness also has great survival value, leading to multiple survival strategies (selfishness and altruism) being pursued simultaneously in order to increase the chance that those all-important genes reach the next generation. Childless individuals have effectively committed genetic suicide, unless they can care for the offspring of group members that carry the same genes (the offspring of genetically close relatives).

I disagree that empathy as such is particularly rare in modern life. It follows the same family, tribe, other pattern it always has. However, I would agree that a range of factors have weakened our feeling of connection to the group, and that we are increasingly self-identifying as group members in groups that have decreasing genetic proximity. One interesting point that Fisher makes in “The Anatomy of Love†is that family patterns in industrialized nations are currently shifting more towards pre-agricultural norms (lower numbers of births per female, larger numbers of male outsiders, etc). We are moving away from the agricultural model (larger families, greater inequality between male and female societal power, stronger group membership) and back towards the hunter-gatherer model.

All of this is more a discussion of actual "Good" and "Evil" than an individual's perception of their own nature, but what the heck. ;)

6. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Thats one definition of Satanism - to put the self above everything, eg Alistair Crowley. (Of course he tried Satanism by other definitions too ;))

7. Old Book

And is thus a good example of the POV of a NE character. :)

8. Gaear

This all begs the question though -- is selfishness actually evil, as (explained by Old Book) it is an effective strategy for perpetuating your genes? And is altruism "good," being as it is ultimately self-structive? I believe Ayn Rand had major problems with that notion.

O/T - I'm always impressed with the level of sophistication shown on these boards (and at times others, like Atari's ToEE board). We may spend a lot of time talking about dragons and magic and other silliness, but you guys are more than up to the task when the big RL questions come down. A wrong-turn surf through many other boards (and I've got to believe its the norm) will reveal threads and polls such as, "Who's got the greatest ass, J-Lo, Beyonce, or Jessica Alba?", where debate rages and posts like "Dude, yur so effin stoopid, J-Lo totally rocks!" represent the limit of the community's higher thinking.

9. Gaear

I suspect that a fair amount of just such individuals, as described in OB's NE POV, exist non-violently among us. I suppose they are by definition sociopaths, but they don't neccesarily feel compelled toward violence. It's just that "normal" considerations of empathy and whatnot don't enter into the equation when they need to take action on their own behalf.

So your sociopath neighbor (or co-worker, spouse, guy on the street, whatever) won't take an axe to you just for the heck of it, but he won't hesitate to use that same axe, literally or figuratively, when you're in the way of some end he sees as neccesary for himself.

We can see examples of this almost daily in everyday life.

10. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Now that's a great topic for my new poll. :)

11. Heavydan85

Heavydan85 Drinking Champion

i consider my self evil mostly because i make fun of hellen keller on a regular basis and think www.rofl.name/owned is hilarious

12. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

People are animals. They do the most disgusting and depraved things to one another with little or no regard of the consequences, at least until they are caught. Then, they are usually only sorry that they got caught. Almost no one wants to go to hell, or to jail for that matter...but they continue to do the very things which will ensure just that.

Every day.

Very few people know what real sacrifice is all about, and even fewer will actually make any real sacrifices during their short lives. I believe that most people have the capacity for doing noble things, yet fail the test when it comes....and evil prospers.

Mr. Crowley, what went on in your head...?

Sorry I didn't weigh in on this earlier, but the cable went out & there you have it...

13. Cujo

Cujo Mad Hatter Veteran

Jessica Alba has got the best ass and any one who says differently is Fuckinstoopid.

Who's Alistair Crowley?

My idea of evil is;
    Intentionally doing something to cause harm to others - I'll stab you in the face with a soldering iron, or more subtlety not giving a shit that what you're doing is harming others - I build a dam and people down river die of thirst but why should I care its not my problem.

anyway we've had a small description on NG, LN, CN, NE and TN now how bout LG, CG, CE, LE?

14. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Aleister_Crowley

The father of modern Satanism. It's rumored that Led Zeppelin's rise to fame didn't truly begin until Jimmy Page bought up his estate lock, stock & barrel. Therein were Crowley's relics of devil worship, which were utilized in some ritual to ensure their success. More Led Zep lore includes the Swan Song record label...an angel cast out from heaven...Lucifer...and their fouth album Zoso featuring symbols of deviltry on the cover. Read on for lots more at the link above...

Now, for what everyone really wants....

Attached Files:

• ja.jpg
      ja.jpg
      File size:
      69 KB
      Views:
  15. Cerulean the Blue

Cerulean the Blue Blue Meanie Veteran

This is more or less what I was trying to say, however Old Book said it much better than I did.
    Then again, every religion or philosophy outside of the christian sphere has been labled satanism at one point or another. Actually, some christian denominations lable other christian denominations as satanic.
    Good and evil are concepts invented by humans, and as such both have been defined in different ways over the ages.
    A true sociopath is an individual that completely lacks empathy has no emotional connections to anything outside of themselves. They are not by definition compelled to violence. They just view other living things with no higher reguard than the inanimate objects around them. Wereas most people would feel guilt or remorse in they hit a pedestrian with there car, a true sociopath would feel no more than if they had run over a cardboard box. I have been around a few of these sort of people, and trust me, it is a very disturbing and scary experience.

Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!