"Cure Wounds" Spells

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by grinner666, May 30, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. grinner666

grinner666 Member

Could somebody tell me, using small words and possibly pictures, exactly how ToEE f@rked up the "Cure X Wounds" spells? I've had a 3rd-level cleric cast Cure Light Wounds and heal one hit point, an impossibility according to SRD (1D8 + level, maximum +5 = minimum 4 hit points); I've also had the very same character, at level 3, use a Cure Moderate Wounds and heal 23 hit points, another impossibility (2d8 + level = maximum 19 HP at level 3).

The second is annoying, but I'll take it when I can get it. The first, however, is FAR more common, and completely unacceptable. Is this something that can be fixed?

Last edited: May 30, 2014
  2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Are you absolutely sure you chose cure light wounds and not cure minor wounds.

I would open the roll history, (small window lower right corner) and check exactly what bonuses if any were added.

3. grinner666

grinner666 Member

Yes, I am absolutely certain that I chose "Cure Light Wounds," as it was a domain spell, not a spontaneous casting (the only way my good clerics who don't have the Healing domain EVER cast "Cure X Wounds" spells).

I can't go back and look at the roll history, because it's not something I stopped my game over. And please understand, this is not something that's happened once or twice; it's a regular occurrence. Cure Wounds spells regularly fail to live up to expectations, and sometimes (rarely) exceed them; I'm sure other members of this board can confirm.

It's certainly not the biggest complaint I'll ever have about the game (the still-too-frequent CTDs take first place), but it's an annoyance that, if fixable, SHOULD be fixed. I grow really, REALLY tired of having a 10th-level cleric cast Cure Moderate Wounds and having the recipient be healed for only 4 hit points.

4. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

It's an old bug, and I could never replicate it myself, but out of curiosity, can you post a save? I'd like to see if there's anything special that triggers it.

5. chano

chano Established Member

I have played over 50 times, at least once every release and i have never seen this.
    I have seen a lot of bad potions but never experienced problems with my cleric spells.

But that doesn't mean that i don't believe you ;)

6. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

It's possible that a specific set of circumstances causes this... multiclassing, domains, who knows. If someone can produce a save that reliably shows this happening in about 1 out of 10 or 20 castings, that would be a good start.

7. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Last edited: May 31, 2014
  8. Dace Highlander

Dace Highlander Real Combat SUCKS!

I've experienced the same problem. An interesting thing I've found though is that if a cleric casts the cure spell results can be all over the place but if a druid or bard casts the cure spell they work as written. I've not had a paladin to try casting the spell so can't comment there. I hope this helps.

9. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Here's an update for those who are interested. Sitra Achara has "fixed" this bug. The bug fix will take effect in the next patch that is released for the Circle of Eight Modpack, and it will be present in the Keep on the Borderlands 1.0 module when that module is released on 2014 June 30.

Originally posted by Sitra Achara:

Our Host!