ctd when entering buildings in the keep

Discussion in 'The Keep on the Borderlands' started by ithildur, Feb 25, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. ithildur

ithildur Established Member

Having a great time so far, but I'm running into issues with the mod crashing to desktop when entering buildings/indoor areas in the keep after venturing out in the wilderness. It looks like the area actually loads, as I can see it and the PC's and npc's as well, but then immediately it crashes. I've gone back to an earlier save and it didn't happen, but the later save persisted in doing this... so i went back to the earlier save and started from there... everything was fine until I again spent some time in the wilderness (taking care of the harpies, etc) and upon my return to the keep, entering buildings causes the same kind of ctd again.

I'm running vista and other than this, have no problems after finally getting things running. Any ideas?

2. ithildur

Ugh...

I tried clearing out the cache and the pyc files, went back to the keep and decided to make a save in case it cdt again, and... the game ctd when trying to save now!! Any ideas? Is it a corrupted save or install altogether? I really would rather not have to reinstall the whole deal again, and having just hit lvl 3, I'm reluctant to go back to an earlier save again, just to see this happen yet again. I'm starting to suspect it's not an kotb issue but toee issue...

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

This is the GREAT ISSUE that currently plagues the game: I'm working on it, but atm, the only advice is be careful how you sleep: only 8 hours at a tmie, and not back to back (ie no sleeping for days at a time to heal HP). That definitely seems to reduce it.

The good news is, if you can get past it, it seems to go away :)

4. ithildur

Got past it, it seems... whew. :)

The mod is amazing so far, btw. Really enjoying the lots of little touches of detail, humor, story/plot bits, and just how (aside from the remaining bugs) things really feel quite fluid and seemless, unlike a lot of klunkily put together homemade mods for RPG games.

I did experience a couple of odd occasions where NPCs in the keep attcked my party for no apparent reason, the first time after ending a conversation with the dual wielding NPC/potential henchwomen in the pub (only thing wrong I did as far as I can tell is get on her nerves by not buying her a drink and she doesn't want to talk to my party anymore, and I kept trying to talk to her... next thing I know the waitress attacks one of my party which turned everyone hostile)

another time, also in the pub, i followed the suspicious acting NPC that shows up later in the mod (after I hit lvl 3/killed the dragon, harpies, etc) to the room like he asked... all I remember is suddenly ther entire pub went hostile once again.

The third time was the woman in red turning hostile for no apparent reason and attacking in the middle of a conversation.

One last bug, I tried to pour the 'holy water' in the shrine after a save just to see what would happen, and the ground shook, the druid asked 'what have you done?' etc, but nothing, no creatures or anything else showed up.

5. Shiningted

A few NPCs have deteriorating reactions: if they are annoyed at you and you keep pestering them, they will eventually attack. Sounds good in theory but since it drags in everyone around them, I may have to rethink it.
    Did you, perchance, kill everyone when you got to that room? ;) But yeah, thats a bug: actually I've already fixed it.
    Bug already fixed :)
    Well thats a new one :blink:

Anyways, thanks for the feedback, glad you enjoyed it :)

6. ithildur

well, my party is nearly lvl5, and I'm... kinda out of things to do apparently, since the remaining quests apparently cannot be concluded in the demo. I was hoping there'd be enough to do to get to lvl 6 and try some crafting. Ah well, still, it was fun.

One suggestion: after initially talking to the lizardmen and hearing about their problem, I helped them and returned, got a small reward, but they didn't provide any clues about the missing people. I don't think there is a way to conclude that quest (investigating the missing folks near the swamp) without getting this info from the lizardfolk, is there? It seems like after doing them a huge favor, it would make sense they'd be forthcoming/helpful with this info. As it is, since I didnt get the necessary info before solving their 'situation', I'm stuck and unable to proceed with the original quest from the keep.

7. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

You get that before you help them, when they tell you about the Mad Wizard's Tower. ;)

Last edited: Mar 1, 2009
  8. ithildur

Yes, I know from doing it the other way from another save, but it seems that the querying about the missing folks should still be an available dialog option after you take care of their problem... since you just helped them out big time, why would the lizardmen suddenly become less forthcoming about necessary info than when they first met the party?

9. Shiningted

So you haven't found the Mad Wizard's Tower?

Spoiler:
    There is a large, interactive map on the wall of the Lizardman's lair.

Also, if you have done enough quests, go back to the noticeboard and there will be a new one there (the Raider map).

10. ithildur

Nope. No wizard's tower.

I did get the raider's map, but it's not a finishable quest in the demo, iirc?

11. Shiningted

No, but there is a 'culmination' in something you can take back to the Bailiff.

Seriously, read the spoiler :)

12. ithildur

NOOO!! Bad Modder!! Evil!!

Alright I will.

Our Host!