CTD upon entering Nulb.

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Ashery, May 11, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. Ashery

Ashery Member

I tried digging through the forum for information regarding a similar CTD, but about the only suggestion I found was that my save is corrupted (Yay!).

Anyways, the CTD happens whenever I travel to Nulb. This hasn't always occurred, as I've done a handful of the quests there, but, rather, it is something that crept up part of the way through the game.

The only event that sticks out to me is that I encountered the caravan that had been raided by the gnolls while traveling to Nulb, but then decided to backtrack to Hommlet instead of continuing on my way to Nulb.(Really? No strike through? XD)Well, that wasn't it. I just loaded my latest pre-Nulb save and I got the caravan on my first random encounter while enroute to Nulb. I backtracked to Hommlet, reset the destination for Nulb, and no CTD.

Other than that, I don't really have any leads for what's causing the crashes. I tried a save from a few (in game) days prior, but the crash occurred on that save as well. I've a few earlier saves, but those are all pre-Nulb, so I won't really learn anything re:CTDs.

Oh, I'm using the latest (7.2.0 NC) release, never used the console, and my only modification was changing the two hex values that govern the point buy values (Changed it from 25 to 28).

Last edited: May 11, 2012
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Well all I can say is that I can't duplicate a crash under generic conditions. :shrug:

Sorry.

3. Ashery

Ashery Member

What other information do you need? I know the title is generic, but how else would one describe the game crashing whenever they enter Nulb?

Should I upload the save somewhere?

4. Renly

Renly Member

I have the same problem(7.2). I can enter Nulb, but the game crashes as soon as I click for my party to move to the bridge or the area after it.
    I can move freely in the area where the party spawned.

5. Ashery

Ashery Member

While I can't give any advice for you, I feel that I should clarify that this is different from my CTD.

Mine occurs the moment I attempt to load Nulb.

6. Renly

Renly Member

All right, not the same problem, but similar. It obviously has something to do with new 7.2 and Nulb.

7. Gaear

I mean generic as in I started a new game and went to Nulb and didn't get any crashes, but I can't really duplicate whatever you've done before that in your game.

Are you (Renly) issuing long movement commands? The only things that changed between 7.1 and 7.2 in Nulb are pathnodes were removed, and also those big Jaroo type trees on the outskirts of town.

You're not using old saves from 7.1 are you?

8. Renly

Renly Member

New game and new saves.
    Is there a proper procedure how to install 7.2 over 7.1.?

I just installed in the same directory and used overwrite when prompted, then enabled 7.2 instead 7.1

I am not issuing any movement commands in a sense that my character starts moving, as soon as I click on the area of the bridge, game crashes before the blue circle even appears.

I tested it again, new game, gave my character a few levels and blitzed through moathouse to open nulb. The same crash.

Perhaps I should have deleted the old 7.1?

9. Gaear

You're not really installing 7.2 (or any modpack) "over" anything, just in addition to. Each modpack is a standalone module, and they can all coexist peacefully. You simply do what the installer tells you and then activate 7.2 via TFE-X. You don't have to delete any previous modules/modpacks, though you can if you want to without any repercussions.

I know it's a pain but I would activate the vanilla module, then reactivate 7.2 and try again. Don't do anything to interrupt TFE-X when it's activating the module and wait for it to say it's done.

Also, you can test Nulb at the start of a game if you like with the following console code:

Code:
    game.areas[3] = 1
    *press enter*

Open and close the console by pressing shift and ~. That will put Nulb on your world map.

10. Renly

Renly Member

Thank, I was wondering what was the code for Nulb.

I have the time. I'll test it now.

11. Renly

Renly Member

Still no go.

Used the pre-generated character. CTD as I click to move.

I will try completely uninstalling the game and then start fresh with just 7.2.

12. Ashery

Ashery Member

The only thing that I can think of is that I should upload at least two of my saves (One with the crash, the other without) and let someone who knows the mod's in and outs compare elements between the two. Maybe some trigger got bugged out when I was last in Nulb, but my lack of knowledge regarding those elements (and my desire not to be completely spoiled) prevents me from doing that myself.

Renly: Wouldn't using the signpost cut out the pathnodes as a possible culprit?

13. Renly

Renly Member

Completely fresh start.

Again CTD if I try to cross the bridge regularly.(Forgot to use the signpost before.)

If I use the signpost, I can move freely around Nulb without a CTD.

But, If I try to cross the bridge, this time from inside the town CTD repeats. So, apparently there is something weird with the brige crossing.

Prehaps some trolls are messing with me. :mrhappy:

14. Ashery

Ashery Member

Decided to test it on my older save, and I got the same exact crash when issuing a move order across the entire bridge.

This seems like something that would've been caught before being released, so I'm wondering if you'll end up getting my CTD later on.

15. Renly

Renly Member

I will probably start playing so we shall see soon enough.

When I spawn at Nulb i get a CTD when I click on ANY walking surface form bridge and forward in the town.

I moved my character with minimal progression and managed to almost reach the end of stone bridge, and that is where the cut off happens and not even small steps prevent CTD.

Our Host!