ctd spritual weapon

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by tom, Nov 30, 2012.

Remove all ads!
  1. tom

tom Established Member

Ive just started to use the spiritual weapon spell a lot and i am crashing to desktop. I don't know weather the two are connected but i have crashed in the moat house and on two levels of the temple.

am using 7.5 Nc

2. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

If you use the search feature of this forum and search for Spiritual weapon you should find a discussion about the issue you're stating. ;)

3. dale5351

dale5351 Established Member

I've done that and although I see it discussed, I don't see anything mentioned that would help me not get the error.

4. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

It's a known bug with the current implementation. You should probably avoid using it for now.

5. sonofliberty

sonofliberty Established Member

What? Why? My cleric uses it constantly. It is my cleric's "summon spell" of choice".

6. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

If it works for you fine, but it has its issues apparently.

7. tom

tom Established Member

Its ok when fighting just one target but in confined space or crowded fight it crashes the round after killing an opponent - maybe its something to do with choice of new target or navigating its way to the target?

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I'll look into it, hopefully this week.

9. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

But yet when you fight the large number of baddies in the water temple it works for the ai perfectly.

I mean that room with the water snakes and the over sized crayfish looking thing with wheels, it gets really crowded in their, but the spiritual weapon the water priests summon runs around stealing every cleave I try to complete. ;)

10. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

On numerous playthroughs, during the reactive Fire Temple combat, the enemy priests have summoned up to about a maximum of about 3 Spiritual Weapons that have attacked my characters in that packed, confined space just to the east of Alrrem's room for quite a few turns during that long, prolonged combat. Those Spiritual Weapons are usually the last surviving enemy units in that combat - I have to wait a few rounds for them to disappear (after all of the other hostile mobs are dead). I've NEVER had the game CTD (crash to desktop) during that combat! I've also never cast the spell Spiritual Weapon myself, so I think that the spell works just fine when cast by the enemy (if that information helps, Sitra).

11. Sitra Achara

Done some testing, can't replicate a crash. Can someone upload a 7.5 NC save that demonstrates the crash? Including instructions on how to replicate the crash. (you need to pack the 4 files associated with the save game, and if the zip is too large for attaching here, upload to Mediafire or Rapidshare)

Also re. enemy casters' Spiritual Weapons working properly - that's no surprise, because the scripting is bypassed when the AI is friends with the SW.
    (the reason it's bypassed in that case is because the script is meant to prevent the *AI* from wasting its attacks on the Spiritual Weapon; the player presumeably already knows better...)

12. Sitra Achara

Though I can't replicate the crash, I'm uploading a revert here that undoes the Spiritual Weapon scripting that seems to cause trouble for some people. This also undoes the Spiritual Weapon fix/workaround, meaning the AI will resume targeting it. Can't say I'm happy about it but I couldn't find a better solution.* Leaving it as is seems unacceptable to me if it causes crashes.

For future version of Co8, where this file will likely be included, you can re-enable the scripting by uncommenting the highlighted block within the file. Just in case someone wishes to use Spiritual Weapon without feeling like it's an exploit & it doesn't crash their game.

Also, I'd like a volunteer who has experienced crashes to confirm that this does indeed solve the problem.

* For future reference: tried turning the SW off with OF_OFF ; this caused other problems (e.g. PCs would start their turn with depleted movement bar) and was inconsistent.
    Also tried knocking the SW unconscious (via condition_add_with_args())- it worked, except I don't know how to restore it to consciousness :p
    Other object flags - tried manipulating those in the past, to no avail

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 23, 2012
  13. gazra_1971

I just tested using Spiritual Weapon for the first time. I had Zaxis (who I made a level 9 bard / level 9 cleric) cast the spell during my testing. So far, the only place that I found during my very limited testing where casting Spiritual Weapon during combat causes the game to CTD (crash to desktop) is during the combat against the large number of Bugbears and Ogres in that large room to the southeast on dungeon level 4 (i.e. the Greater Temple) of the Temple of Elemental Evil. Casting Spiritual Weapon during that combat always causes my game to CTD soon after one of my party's characters has cast Spiritual Weapon during that combat (whereas if I don't cast Spiritual Weapon during that combat, then my game never CTD during that combat). Therefore, Sitra Achara's file in the post above NEEDS to be included in all future versions of the Circle of Eight Modpack.

On a side note, during my testing, on 2 separate occasions when exiting the Inn of the Welcome Wench after resting upstairs for 8 hours, all of my party's characters were frozen/stuck in combat poses/stances. I tested using version 7.5.0 NC.

By the way, every time that I cast Spiritual Weapon, my opponents would always target my Spiritual Weapons with their melee attacks (unless there wasn't space around my Spiritual Weapon in order to be able to target it). My understanding was that all opponents were supposed to ignore any Spiritual Weapons cast by the player due to the spell being modified by the Circle of Eight modders.

Last edited: Jan 13, 2013
  14. gazra_1971

Okay, I just deleted the combat_standard_routines.py and combat_standard_routines.pyc files from my \data\scr\ subdirectory and replaced them with Sitra's combat_standard_routines.py file from his post above, and then I did the combat against the large number of bugbears and ogres in the large room to the southeast on dungeon level 4 (i.e. the Greater Temple) of the Temple of Elemental Evil, and Zaxis cast Spiritual Weapon about 7 times during that combat, and I did not experience a CTD at all during the combat, so Sitra's file works perfectly and should be implemented in all future versions of the Circle of Eight Modpack.

Last edited: Dec 31, 2012
  15. Sitra Achara

Thank you Gazra. I guess that settles it.

Re.
    Though not very relevant now, I'm still curious - when you say "every time", is it really every time, or only in a particular combat encounter that you've tested?

The thing is, the SW script had to be manually inserted into NPCs' san_start_combat routines, and there are many of those, so I suppose there are instances where it isn't covered (much like how there were oversights with the Break Free scripting as well), but it should have been activated for the majority of fights/combatants.

Also, were you using Web perchance?

Our Host!