CTD on feat selection

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Xellan, Jan 25, 2007.

Remove all ads!
  1. Xellan

Xellan Member

I'm currently running Co8 5.0.3 with the new 4.0 Front end, on Win98SE

I've just gotten my characters to 3rd level, and for some reason when I click the button to do feat selection for my rogue, the game crashes to the desktop. I've gone through the level up process with some of the other characters, but every single time I try to level up my rogue, the game crashes.

Is there a fix for this aside from starting over?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Which .dll are you using?

Note, folks, this is exactly the problem I am getting, with a complete re-install, in both KotB and ToEE, and (the kicker) I am also using 98SE (and 16.0.3).

Did I mention the complete reinstall?

3. krunch

krunch moving on in life

If you use the Temple.DLL that comes with Co8 5.0.0, does the game also crash using that version of Temple.DLL when training a rogue?

4. Shiningted

Not for me, no. The Co8 5.0.0 doesn't, the Co8 5.0.3 CMF does, as does the latest 16.0.3.

I have downloaded vss 14, 15 and 16.0.1 to do some hard-core testing but haven't got around to it yet. The painful thing is, I have taken care of the tailor's quest and I specifically want to select 'EWP - Repeating Crossbow' as my feat, so I can't use an earlier one.

5. maggit

maggit Zombie RipTorn Wonka

It looks like Win'98SE is the problem... o_O
    Maybe there are some instructions in the dll
    that '98 can't read through and recognises them
    as an error in the file, or sth?

6. ShadowDragoon

ShadowDragoon Advocate of Vengence

That would be my suggestion. I mean, when you get right down to it, Win98 is...well...ancient by computer standards. If you have good enough specs on your computer to be able to run ToEE, then it would be wise to upgrade to at least Windows 2000. NOT Millenium Edition, but Win 2000. Trust me, there's a huge distinction there. :p

7. krunch

krunch moving on in life

Windows 2000 Pro is stable, but Windows XP Pro is stable and responds faster.

8. Spellslinger

Spellslinger Established Member

I don't have Win98 available to test with, so it's a bit hard to get to the bottom of this. The rogue fix per se was one of the earliest things I did IIRC so it's a bit strange the problem never surfaced before. There was no change to that code since then. It might be helpful to test the different dllfix versions downward to see where the problem was originally introduced (like Ted planned, just maybe going lower in the dllfix version if necessary).

It might also help to get the exact error messages with addresses and such of the crash, though that didn't really work last time I tried. ;)

9. ShadowDragoon

Yes, but it also requires much higher computer specs. Plus, assuming they do the legal thing and buy it instead of downloading it, XP Pro is a lot more expensive, to boot.

But, to each his own. :shrug:

10. Shiningted

Well for me its an expense thing: while my gear can (and even does) run XP, I certainly can't afford a new copy of it for the partition where I run ToEE.

I'll do some testing, I guess...

11. krunch

krunch moving on in life

@ShiningTed: Psst! Use the partition with XP, dude.

12. ShadowDragoon

If it's just a problem of you using the 98 partition because there's more room, then there's this nifty little tool out there called PQMagic. It will let you resize the partition with Windows XP to steal some space from the partition with Windows 98. ;)

13. Shiningted

No, its an issue with my XP install. I didn't do a dodgy pirate XP install - its all legal and registered - but suffice it to say, its a crappy install, I don't have the original disks, and many games (including everything made on the Quake 2 engine, like MoHAA and Jedi OUtcast) won't work on it. Hence I use 98 as well. (That and the fact I prefer 98). In XP, ToEE always crashes on exit for me.

In any case, this isn't the point. Our mods shouldn't require people to change their operating system.

14. krunch

krunch moving on in life

hmm - Try downloading and installing the SP2 (Full Network version) for your Windows XP.

Windows XP Service Pack 2 Network Installation Package for IT Professionals and Developers

It is a 266 MB download. When downloaded to and run on the same computer, it will temporarily extract about 1 GB of XP install and update files on that computer while installing updates and, then, remove the temporary files when done, clean up after itself. (It replaces every XP file on the computer, unless a XP file has a creation date, not install date, that is post SP2.) It is a very comprehensive update and is 100 percent recommended for all installations of Windows XP that are not SP2 at the time of the original installation of Windows XP. I would also recommend installing Windows Installer 3.1 before installing SP2 for Windows XP.

Note: I have used the SP2 for Windows XP to uncluster many fouled up installations of XP - after removing viruses, XP never being cleaned up, users uninstalling programs by means of deleting program file directories, users thinking files were not important and just deleting files, etc.

Last edited: Jan 27, 2007
  15. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

[OT tangent alert . . . ]

What's the deal with hard drive partitions, anyway? I always had the impression that they were generally thought of as eeevilll, yet many people seem to use them regardless. Much of the more system-intensive software I've ever used cautions against using them; I never have, and I have never missed them. Why does anyone use partitions, particularly in cases where you may already have two hard drives?

Our Host!