crafting

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Templar, Jan 11, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Templar

Templar Established Member

I've just learned craft magic arms & armor for my mage and my cleric.

I have a masterwork longspear, and a few other items. The only ones I can do are +1 enchantments. Frost, flame, axiomatic, spell resistance, are all there but greyed out.

I thought I remember some being available only if you learn certain spells. So how do I get flame, frost and axiomatic and some others for my items? What spells? THANKS!

2. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

Axiomatic, good and the like require one of the domain spells (4th level, I think?) of clerics with the law, good, etc. domains. You may also have to be of the associated alignment, I can't recall.

I can't remember what flame and frost require, either. I don't think I ever bothered with them.

Edit: Here's the SRD entry for them. I assume ToEE follows the rules:

http://www.d20srd.org/srd/magicItems/magicWeapons.htm

Axiomatic, holy, etc. do require a character with the appropriate alignment, in addition to the domain spell.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  3. Scryler

Scryler Night's Wordsmith

I thought you had to give the item +1, +2, +3 before you could get to the others.

Didn't think this particular craft was based on spells, etc. Some of them require you to be a higher level, I think. Not sure, here.

Not to worry, though. Someone else is sure to chime in shortly.

4. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

And here I am!

A lot of crafting problems are based on level. You may not be able to craft you uber-weapon yet if your casters/crafters level is not high enough.

One thing, though. You can only put a maximum of I believe 4 enchantments on any weapon. This means up to +3 and one other ability.

Look around the site. I believe Lord Plotho's crafting guide is here. It's a bit old but it gives excellent info on crafting requirements. A must read, as they say.

5. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

6. Templar

Thanks guys. I'm level 6, with a six person party. I did the gar quest, orc lair, emridy meadows, deko grove and moat house.

I'm not sure how I'm going to get past level 10 yet, but we'll see. I must have misred someone saying they were level 12 when going into the temple cause I don't see how that is possible.

Of course there is the prisoner on the earth elemental level I remember going to Verbonoc that has a quest there that might help. Not sure which to do first.

7. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

You have to start as +1, then you can add anything else you are able to, such as +1 cleaving, shocking burst.

You have to be at least 3x the + ability, so 9th level to make +3 weapon or armor.

8. Emirkol the Chaotic

9. Templar

Yeah, I'm reading it now. Says to upgrade to +3 before other bonuses. I look forward to getting the longsword +3 off the lamia later to upgrade that.

I have only 1 character using a longsword, my fighter. He is using a radiant long sword, and I have a longsword +2 as backup. I don't know if any creature I'll face before getting the +3 sword will require +2 to hit but I thought I'd keep it just in case.

This crafting is so much fun. I wish I had the funds to support it, though I know I will later.

10. GuardianAngel82

GuardianAngel82 Senior Member

Identify the radiant long sword.

Edit the name of the crafted item so it doesn't get too long and cause ctd's. ;)

11. Templar

My cleric's domains are Good/Law

So I guess I can get holy, and I'll keep reading to see what else.

I've been carrying around various jewels, I thought I needed them for crafting...doesn't seem so now. Maybe I should sell them...

Oh and I had already identified the sword, love it! the holy bonus is nice.
    I wonder if I should enhance this with +3 and other things or save my money and do it to the +3 one later. Or does it really matter in this case?

I'm also wondering if in evil parties, if its worth it to take unholy, I can't see there being enough good creatures to fight to make it worth while.

Last edited: Jan 11, 2009
  12. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

Sell the jewels, and jewelry to the jeweler fot the best prices.

13. Emirkol the Chaotic

Definitely keep and upgrade all Holy weapons you find. YOU'LL NEED THEM. They are normally ID's as being holy (before you actually ID them) by being called "radiant". They're a few radiant weapons scattered around the game.

14. Kneller1

Kneller1 Established Member

I've allways wondered this, and other things with the same situation. I guess it comes down to wether you want to meta-game and play it to win; or if you want to more role-play. I normally just do a mixture of each; I like playing evil parties the most and I like the idea of carring unholy weapons; but the competive part in me just carn't help playing to my best.

15. Templar

The crafting guide you guys pointed out was excellent, well written. Someone said a bit outdated though, and I was wondering if its still such a way that you upgrade only so many times and thats it.

Our Host!