Counterspelling

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Basil the Timid, Mar 26, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

This is something that I have never really seen - not even in PnP. Does anyone use this strategy in ToEE? The Manual states:

When an enemy spellcaster tries to cast a spell, you can attempt to disrupt it by
    counterspelling. To attempt a counterspell, you must have selected the “Ready for
    counterspell” action on the Radial Menu during your turn. When the enemy casts
    a spell, you must make a Spellcraft check of DC 15 + the spell’s level to identify
    the spell. The game will check to see if you have a counterspell in this order:
    1. The same spell.
    2. An opposed spell (such as using Haste to counterspell Slow).
    3. Dispel Magic.
    (but what about Greater Dispel Magic?)
    4. If you have Improved Counterspell, any higher-level spell of the same school.
    You will automatically cast the counterspell. If you are counterspelling with
    Dispel Magic, it may not succeed. Otherwise, your counterspelling is automatic
    and both spells negate each other.

I have been trying this using Meleny who has Greater Dispel Magic. She is trying to Dispel either Zuggy's stuff, or Vrock, or Hezrou, fungi spell effects. I ready Counterspell, she passes Spellcraft, and it reads Zuggtmoy fails to Counterspell.

Now I'm guessing Meleny's Caster Level 12 + 10 for Greater Dispel + d20 should yield a positive result once in a while. Unfortunately the roll counter reveals nothing about this. I have noticed that her prepared Greater Dispel Magic does not get used up and still is prepared.

So, I am wondering if it is a Counterspell issue, an issue with Greater Dispel, or my incredibly unbelievable bad luck of trying and failing over 10 times.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
  2. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

I found something interesting on the SRD

Spell-like abilities cannot be used to counterspell, nor can they be counterspelled (perhaps because they have no spell components). In all other ways, a spell-like ability functions just like a spell:

...A spell-like ability can be disrupted just as a spell can be. Spell-like abilities are subject to spell resistance and to being dispelled by dispel magic. They do not function in areas where magic is suppressed or negated.

However, from what I understand, the game does not distinguish between spells and spell-like abilities, so the question in my first posting still stands.

Edit: Supernatural abilities cannot be dispelled.

Last edited: Mar 28, 2009
Our Host!