Confusion on spot/listen

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Nivlat, Oct 25, 2019.

Remove all ads!
  1. Nivlat

Nivlat Member

I've been searching the forum on this topic for some time, but I'm still confused.

Do listen/spot work only on random encounters with survival? (In this case I need only one PC with these skills?)

Somewhere I read they are used in "surprise" rounds - they do exist in toee?

2. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'd say yes, millions wouldn't. You'll notice sometimes when you initiate combat that you get a crack and only some monsters are in the melee thing, sometimes it's because they haven't figured out there is a combat yet but some get added after you - meaning they will get a go that round - and some are added before you (meaning they have missed their go that round). So I would say it's a surprise round based on individual initiative rather than a group round.

Spot and listen will also determine whether the monsters see you when sneaking. For PCs, probably there is very little use other than

- random encounters as you say
    - specific scripted moments like Furnok cheating at cards, Dala robbing you etc.
    - no idea if they affect initiative and/or surprise rounds - very interesting if they do.

3. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Calling that a surprise round is a bit of a stretch. There's actually some vestigial engine code for surprise rounds, but it doesn't have any actual effect.

Our Host!