Composite vs regular longbow?

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by SharkD, Jul 29, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

I'm trying to figure out what the differences are between composite and regular longbows. In the game manual the composite longbow has a slightly longer range, but this seems not to be the case according to the item's description. Also, what does the STR number in the item name mean?

Finally, who sells repeating crossbows? I haven't seen a single one yet.

-Mike

Last edited: Jul 29, 2009
  2. RedPhalkon

RedPhalkon Cat 1 / Sor 1

Composite longbows add STR to the damage roll. I haven't found a composite longbow yet, but in 3.5 RAW, you have to have a STR bonus high enough to use a composite longbow. The STR number probably refers to the bow's potential. A composite longbow with a +2 STR rating means you have to have at least a +2 STR bonus to use it, and it will add up to 2 points to your damage roll, even if your STR bonus is higher than +2. Without the minimum STR requirement I believe you take a -4 to attack rolls with the bow (watch out for ability drain effects!)

3. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

You can buy composite bows from the cabinet maker after you finish the deklo wood quest for the woodcutter. AFAIK no one sells repeating crossbows, but there are at least two you can pick up in the game: Wonnilon had one until Scorpp stole it, and you can get Iolo's Joy, a magic repeater from a random encounter (but that might be a DH only thing and not implemented in 5.5.)

4. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

Brother Smyth sells masterwork repeating crossbows. I bought one on my last run through from him.

I wouldn't bother looking for it unless you are at the very least, 17th+ level.

5. Basil the Timid

Basil the Timid Dont Mention the War

Iolo's Joy is Gwenno's weapon and is a DH encounter.

6. maalri

maalri Immortal

I really hope the new release will have the DH add on as an OPTION at least- the ultimate reward for that made travel so much better... and it was FUN- even with a Paladin.

7. Avatar_do_Grafite

Avatar_do_Grafite Established Member

What is an DH encounter?!?

8. Basil the Timid

DH refers to Shiningted's Desperate Housewives mod which is currently no longer available for the 5.5.x series.

9. erkper

erkper Bugbear Monk Supporter

Pretty sure the ultimate goal is to have Desperate Housewives as an optional Add-on Pack for the Co8 6.0 release.

10. maalri

maalri Immortal

Kewlness- I liked Desperate Housewives, the MOD very much.

11. Hugh Manetee

Hugh Manetee Established Member

The tailor will sometimes give you a repeating crossbow.
    I think it depends how you solve his quest.
    Or possibly your alignment.

12. SharkD

SharkD Established Member

Thanks guys! It's too late in the game to worry about repeating crossbows. Maybe in my next game.

-Mike

13. Basil the Timid

I actually don't know why it would require an add-on pack. It seemed to me that @ted had the right solution back in 5.0.0: the player may choose to talk to Elmo's mom or not. Plain and simple.

14. Isewein

Isewein Established Member

Is there any chance of this Desperate Housewives mod being reactivated? I assumed all mods were included in the NC Pack and spent a while trying to get Elmo's mom to talk, only to realise it was removed. Shame, a good Ultima reference is always appreciated.

15. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Basically, no? To be honest I am quite embarrassed by much of it, it's quite silly. Silly is not bad, but DH was one of many things that were changed or flatout removed to maintain the quality level of the Co8 mod, which we ultimately aimed to get as high as the original game (so HB and Verbocono obviously got overhauled, DH got removed, and I think some of Gaear's own changes to Furnok and Jayfie, which personally I liked, got removed too, Probably a lot of stuff got tweaked, rebalanced etc).

I might have a look if anything remains of the files, there was one quest in the DH group I always wanted to keep, if my Basket of Mods idea ever finally gets finished and the files are there I'll reactivate it.

EDIT: Don't get me wrong, glad people liked DH, I had a lot of fun making it!

Our Host!