'Co8 wizards' mod

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by gazra_1971, Aug 7, 2013.

Remove all ads!
  1. gazra_1971

gazra_1971 Knights of Legend

Gaear, here is the proposal for my 'Co8 wizards' mod. I really hope that you include it in the next Co8 Modpack NC after all of the work that I have put into it.

Edit: I've updated this archived file to include the latest version of the 'Co8 wizards' mod data.txt file (i.e. this archive now contains the same file that is attached to my third to last post in this thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  2. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Thanks gazra, I will check it out soon.

3. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Have you been hiding something from us .... gazra_1982?

I for one, look forward to seeing what you've done.

4. WinstonShnozwick

WinstonShnozwick Established Member

I'm only guessing but this sounds like you're going to have a bossfight vs the circle of eight. If so, that would be totally epic and fitting to be part of ToEE.

5. twisty

twisty Morose Marauder

This sounds interesting. Any hints on what's in the mod Gazra?

6. Salk

Salk Established Member

I am very positive about gazra_1971 ability to bring something memorable.

About your EDIT at the bottom of the file, I do believe that Solution 1 is by far to be preferred. If the combat is still too hard, it might be combined with Solution 2.

7. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Good for you Gazra :clap: I look forward to playing this.

8. Gaear

Everyone's gonna have an opinion now, gazra. ;)

I've looked over your files and it looks interesting and well-laid out and doable off the cuff. But I'll have to start putting it together to see where (not if, because there are always complications :p) any complications arise, so don't expect any sort of dramatic thumbs up or down instant decision from me on it.

Initial Q: I see that all the wizards have the same spells memorized. This may make the Co8 look and feel like a drone army. Should we look into individualizing them? I'm sure they're all described somewhere thoroughly - school specializations, etc.

9. gazra_1971

Yeah, the 2nd edition AD&D sourcebook Greyhawk: Folk, Feuds, and Factions states the Co8 wizards' exact levels, all of their stats and magical items, appearances, personalities, and it even states some of the spells and combat strategies that some of the wizards will use during combat. I'm willing to use all of that information if you want to - I just made all 8 wizards the same proto to save on proto numbers (which meant less work for you - after all, there is only about 5 weeks left before the FINAL version of the Co8 Modpack NC is released!) and to make the Co8 wizards as deadly as possible - but it will mean that they will be FAR less formidable in combat if we do use their actual stats, items, and AI Strategy Types.

Also, Rary is actually meant to be a level 23 wizard - is that even doable to have a level 23 wizard in this computer game?

If you want me to modify the Co8 wizards' stats to be as authentic as possible, let me know, and I'll post the information. It may mean changing all of the dialogue because Mordenkainen is actually a man of few words (according to the sourcebook), but I'm reluctant to change any of the dialogue because I'm happy with the way that it is now (but I will grudgingly change the dialogue if you REALLY want me to).

Or I could just let you take over the project if you intend to use it. The problem is that I don't have a scanner (or access to one), so I can't send you the relevant data from the sourcebook at the moment.

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  10. Gaear

I think the Co8 could all have their own protos. I'm not really worried about changing anything with them at this point besides the spells, and even that is just a thought.

Highest level possible for NPCs is 20, so Rary would have to be that.

11. gazra_1971

What year is this computer game set in? The line-up of the Circle of Eight has changed over time. In this computer game's intro, the Circle of Eight consist of 8 wizards, whereas in the 2nd edition AD&D sourcebook Greyhawk: Folk, Feuds, and Factions, the Circle of Eight consist of 9 wizards.

The original pencil and paper module The Temple of Elemental Evil was a 1st edition AD&D module, so I imagine that the information in the 2nd edition AD&D sourcebook Greyhawk: Folk, Feuds, and Factions is for a much later time in the history of the World of Greyhawk, and therefore not relevant to this computer game.

I really know very little about the World of Greyhawk. In hindsight, I think that it was not a good idea to create a major fictional scenario using famous NPCs and factions when the history of the World of Greyhawk has already been documented. I should have created new, unknown characters - that way, such a mod wouldn't contradict the lore of the World of Greyhawk. I may need to change the names of the NPCs and the factions if such a mod is to be included in the Co8 Modpack NC.

The more that I think about this, the more that I want Gaear to take over the creative reins on the project (if it is to be included in the Co8 Modpack NC), so that I don't have to be involved with it anymore (it's not a good idea to have 2 front-seat drivers, especially when creativity is involved) and so that I can concentrate on converting the game guide sticky thread into a proper walkthrough with updated information on the recent major changes to the Co8 Modpack NC (before the computer game MechWarrior Tactics changes from closed beta to open beta later this year and I lose my life to that game).

The names of the different wizards who have been in the Circle of Eight and their fates and the periods that they were in the Circle of Eight are documented in the following link:

http://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Circle_of_Eight

Last edited: Aug 8, 2013
  12. Gaear

I wouldn't worry about it too much, gazra. From this point onward, by necessity, you'll mainly play the role of creative consultant anyway.

I'm assuming the Co8 featured here will be the 3.5 Co8, being as that's ToEE the CRPG. Personally I'm not worried about 'tampering' with them, as they're supposed to play this sort of role for campaigns anyway, and nothing we do here is going to be considered canon by anybody. Also it's not like we're doing anything crazy (e.g. making them wear funny hats or having them act like characters from Twilight).

I think ToEE is supposed to occur in 579.

13. gazra_1971

I've searched the internet and the following is all of the information that I could find on the Circle of Eight:

The following link is to a website that is an unofficial database of NPCs in the World of Greyhawk (including current and ex-members of the Circle of Eight) using D&D 3.5 stats. The website claims that "all content within these pages is roughly 90% canon/ 10% interpretation.":

http://www.greyhawkonline.com/duicarthan/npcz.html

The following link contains a post with information on the Circle of Eight which I've included in the following quote:

http://www.enworld.org/forum/showthread.php?192084-Stats-for-the-Circle-of-Eight

Originally posted by Eric Anondson:
    The pdf file attached below has useful information on the Circle of Eight.

The following 7 jpg image files are all of the pages containing information about the Circle of Eight from the 2nd edition AD&D sourcebook Greyhawk: Folk, Feuds, and Factions. This is the same sourcebook that I used to create my 'Co8 wizards' mod with. The stats given for the Co8 wizards are for 2nd edition AD&D characters, so keep that in mind if you convert them to D&D 3.5 because it doesn't list their feats, skills, and they never received the ability score increases that they were supposed to receive at character level 4, 8, 12, 16, and 20 (that D&D 3.5 characters all automatically receive).
    (Note: I did not scan these pages myself. Gaear, if you can't read any words or numbers in these .jpg image files, then send me a PM and I'll inform you what the words or numbers are in the sourcebook):

Attached Files:

Last edited: Aug 10, 2013
  14. gazra_1971

Attached below is the latest version of the 'Co8 wizards' mod data.txt file. This will DEFINITELY be the last version of the text file, as I am now turning my attention to improving the game guide sticky thread.

Attached Files:

Last edited: Dec 10, 2013
  15. gazra_1971

Attached above and below are 6 jpg image files containing all of the stats and spells and even a picture of the Circle of Eight wizards (including Jallarzi Sallavarian, but excluding Mordenkainen) from the 2nd edition AD&D adventure module Vecna Lives! (WGA4) (released in the year 1990):

Attached Files:

Our Host!