Co8 New Content: Arena of Heroes

Discussion in 'New Content Subdirectories' started by Gaear, Mar 22, 2010.

Remove all ads!
  1. General Ghoul

General Ghoul Established Member

But if you don't take them out, they cast all kinds of bad stuff on you, nothing more annoying that have several characters who can do nothing during their turn. And how are skeletons and zombies immune to Entangle and Web?

2. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

yes I understand. Just wanted to share a finding for any who may want to put off facing those heavy hitters ala giant skeletons. If you have a cleric without the improved turning, then you can try to turn the wizzers and then use that tactic to hold off the third group as well.

Maybe the skels and zombo's have freedom of movement effect in their descriptions somehow added in the AoH? I could not find anything about them in the SRD.

3. Azured

Azured Lethal but deadly.

Ok, I played the Arena of Heroes through with 4 level 5 characters, and I can tell you that unless you disable the first two undead mages really quickly, they can tear you apart. If their Stinking Clouds don't disable most of your party, their Fireballs and Lightning Bolts will. They've got plenty of nasty spells up their sleeve, and without concentrating on them you don't stand much of a chance. The undead rank and file don't pose much of a threat if the party has invested in increasing their AC enough.

My tactic was to take out the spellcasters as quickly as I could (basically it is usually the most viable tactic in any encounter) and then deal with the third mage and his oversized skeleton pets by slowing them down with spells (Web, Grease, Spiritual Weapon) and then killing the mage as quickly as possible. I ended up pelting the skeleton giants down with missile fire, both magical and mundane. The final result was that most of my guys were pretty much intact, taking only damage from the initial onslaught and random punches from the massed undead.

By the way, is there any use to the hefty Book of Heroes after the party has cleared the Arena?

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

One of those wizards casts 'Finger of Death' and killed my rogue. She fell right where the master spawns so after the fight he didn't show- up. Had to console in the staff of life and raise her. Moved away somewhat and poof, there's the master. Need to keep some form of raise dead at all times I guess.

5. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

As far as I know, it is just a memento after you get your reward. I usually just stash it when I am done to free up an inventory slot.

6. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

Well there is the one scroll from the stash in temple in Hommlet. Too bad you can not shake down Terjon to scribe you some as well. :)

Yeah, that is the third mage that had that spell and is nasty when you least expect it.

7. Azured

Azured Lethal but deadly.

There's also another free Scroll of Raise Dead in the game. Read further if you don't know where it is but would like to. If you don't want to know, I'm trying to hide the text as per the spell Protection from Spoilers.

It is in the first floor of the Moathouse, in the room with the Giant Lizard. The haystack in the northernmost corner of the room is hiding the scroll, just hover your mouse around there and it should pop up.

8. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

9. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I used up all the available scrolls and the cleric didn't have raise dead. The encounter didn't end so couldn't use the worldmap. If I could keep a wizard alive long enough and not use the scrolls. I have the worst luck in the world with wizards. I will keep some form of raise dead available at all times.

10. cezmail

cezmail Gorboth's Rider

I know what you mean about the scrolls. The nice thing with the new merchant renewal is that you can stock up on potions and scrolls of healing from Calmert, though no raise dead are available from him. Another thing I found out for myself is that you can not brew your own potions of heal, so when you need sudden massive healing your SOL.

For your wizards wizgeorge, have you tried out sorcerers? At least you get some more spells available as well as all simple weapons such as long spears are usable.

11. sirchet

sirchet Force for Goodness Moderator Supporter

Or you could have a well built rogue with high UMD sprinkle a little dust of disappearing on himself and start casting from scrolls and wands, then they'd wish you just had a wizard.

12. Necroticpus

Necroticpus Cthulhu Ftaghn!

What happens if you open the chest before talking to brother smythe? Do you still get the interruption from him, pushing you aside and taking whatever's in there? Or do you find the thing that he wants? I'm going to have to try that. His item might be awesome!

13. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

I think he just proceeds with his normal dialog routine.

btw, there is actually nothing in the chest - the stuff you get is given via script.

14. Aethyrium

Aethyrium Member

So i'm having a bug with the arena that I couldn't find any info about on the forums. After finishing the first fight, the Arena master doesn't re-appear. I'm using NC 5.9.3. I tried the fight 5 times and couldn't get the the Arena master to appear after killing the monsters either time. Is there a quick console command to force him to appear or some quick fix? Was hoping to do this section, I love arenas in RPG's. Great mod package btw, couldn't imagine the game without the new content :)

15. chengc02

chengc02 Member

Our Host!