Co8 IRC channel #co8

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Morpheus, Mar 30, 2005.

Remove all ads!
  1. Morpheus

Morpheus Mindflayer Veteran

Last edited: May 19, 2005
  2. Morpheus

Is anyone even remotely interested in an IRC meeting?

3. Endarire

Endarire Ronald Rynnwrathi

I am. I would be more interested in joining if I knew how to connect to GameSurge. What is the server name, such as irc.gamesurge.net?

-EE

4. darmagon

darmagon stumbler in the dark

hmmm I don't know....

My experience with IRC has been not very good. Most of what takes place, I have found, is inane chatter, interspersed with real attempts at communication. The problem is waiting for it and beign able to filter out the junk well enough that you can see the real thing when it comes along. I don't use IRC anymore for this reason. I will use instant messenger programs to talk to my friends and my kids but that is not the same thing as IRC. It seems to me that IRC has way to much static and very little content. That being said, an IRC channel devoted to a single concentrated topic like ToEE might be better. I don't know. Personally I like message boards like this. Given that I can't see or hear the people i'm communicating with here the ability to hold back & really consider what is being said is a real boon. Text is tricky. Real time text is very tricky and I think that is what leads to IRC ending up being trivial in content. The other thing with IRC is that you have to be available if and when anything important comes up and you can never know beforehand when that might happen. If you are not there when stuff is happening, you're out of it. So I guess I have typed myself into saying no, I am not really interested in IRC. One more thing if I may. It seems to me that IRC "attracts" people who are not serious because it has these disadvantages for real communication. and that only makes it worse. It is a positive feedback loop for zero content and excessive blather. Thanks for the op, tho. Hope to hear from you soon. G'night Morpheus:)

Edit: The last little bit there was not intended as a personal comment upon you, Morpheus. I was just being sarcastic about the kind of stuff I have come to expect on IRC channels as an example of why I don't particularly want to try one again....

Darmagon

Last edited: May 12, 2005
  5. Lord_Spike

Lord_Spike Senior Member Veteran

What I'd like to see us try...

...is voice chat sometime.

6. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

I've tried on numerous occasions to sign up on the site you've linked Morpheus, but each and every time I get an error with the human validation input, I'd like to try it but if I can't register an account..... I guess I'll have to pass.

7. Morpheus

You don't have to sign up. All you need is an IRC client like mIRC, and a server address (irc.gamesurge.net should work, but the network has several servers). Have a look at the link to the IRC tutorial I posted.

Anyway, this is not supposed to be a 24 hour channel, all I wanted to do is organise scheduled meetings between modders and other ToEE freaks. That should limit the inane talk and the idling. I guess the main problem would be the different time zones we're in.

8. LocutusX

LocutusX Member

suggestion; try to decide on a date/time for an IRC meeting of predetermined LENGTH and TOPIC(s) .... that will prevent it from degenerating into the type of "chatty" stuff some people don't like.

you can say something like: Co8 IRC meeting on Sunday @ 4pm
    agenda: 4pm to 4:30pm - newbie help (helping out those new to ToEE or Livonya's mod; like me :)
    4:30pm to 5:30pm - modder talk (chat with the modders)
    5:30pm to 6:30pm - Strategy talk - exchange battle tips.

maybe something like that would work... i'd attend.

9. Rymdkejsaren

Rymdkejsaren Member

There seems to be no one in the channel. Oh well.

As for the comments about IRC, I can understand that one leaves it behind. Then again, it becomes what you make it. I'm constantly idling in 4 channels, one of them is that of my clan, the others are for different HL2 mods. Whenever the conversation gets brainless I just do something else with my time. :D

10. Morpheus

Well, I'm there right now ... If you didn't see anyone, you must have been in the wrong chan.

I'm in the CET zone, btw. Here, it's 22.22 pm! (Hey, I like that number ...)

11. Morpheus

Ah ... someone showed up. At last. Pity I wasn't at my computer ... sorry Clorius!

12. Rymdkejsaren

Rymdkejsaren Member

Hmmm I only did a /names actually so I guess if you were invisible you wouldn't show. :| Maybe I'll drop by later. I'm on CET time too.

13. Clorius

Clorius Member

If ppl have trubles connecting to #co8 at gamesurge herer is a easy way to get into the chat channal:

Get mIRC at www.mirc.com under downloads. I have no idea if this works with other clients of irc.

Once you installed the mIRC program, all you have to do is type this in your internet browser address:

irc://irc.gamesurge.net/co8

This should bring you into the co8 channel.

14. Allyx

Allyx Master Crafter Global Moderator Supporter

Thanks again for the link clorius.

15. Clorius

Clorius Member

Your welcome Allyx

To new users of mIRC.

When you start to use mIRC, you will see a "this is a trail version - after 20 days you should pay"

Just forget about that, when the trail runs out and you havn´t payd, it will still work just as well.

Our Host!