Co8 8.1.0 bugs

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by sirchet, Aug 15, 2014.

Remove all ads!
  1. OccasionallyGood

OccasionallyGood Member

Do you have Temple+ installed? It's fixed there. I have never faced this bug with Temple+.

2. rex-felis

rex-felis Member

I have it downloaded but not installed. It caused a lot of game crashes when i 1st tried it so i gave up on it.. Will see if i can sort it without for now. Open spell didn't work so will try knock spell next. If that dosn't work will see if Temple+ will sort it mid game. Thanks

3. hammyh

hammyh Established Member

Temple+ is a definitely worth it for fixes and stability. That's not to downplay anything the original Co8 achieved.

But...due to some of the data changes... I would advise you to restart the game or as a minimum install it while progression is very early and not wait.

Fwiw, I found Temple+ to be more stable. Use a recent version, as it has gone through many iterations and improvements. In the case that you are referring to an older download of more than a year ago.

4. rex-felis

rex-felis Member

Installed it. Blah!. Can't change Resolution or Gamma (brightness) and the Cursor is all over the place. It works, Bug gone, but the game looks bad. Just looking around to see if there are options hidden somewhere else than Configuration or Rules. In game Options seems to be useless, can't change brightness there and the resolution there is not the same one as in Configuration. Just going through the web sites to see if it can be changed.

5. hammyh

What OS are you using? Also, are you using a more modern version of the original ToEE with PC fixes like that from GoG? For a windows OS, you shouldn't see much difference. The Temple+ config should allow changes, much like the original Co8 install did, but much easier and without having to reinstall.

Edit:
    Note that the in game video options will not do anything. If brightness is a make-or-break issue, then you'll have to do that from your graphics card programs settings afaik. (I've personally found the default brightness fine at 1920 x 1080, but ofc you may not.)

Last edited: Aug 12, 2023
  6. rex-felis

rex-felis Member

Changed to win 10 a few months ago, upgraded graphics card software same time.. Bought and Downloaded CoG Toee and downloaded new versions of Co8 downloads. Played the game for a month or 2, a few bugs, castle in Verbabonc ghosts didn't work. Despite killing Zert and the others at Moathouse, the ghost quest didn't work properly and a few others. Decided to try again with new heroes. That's when Secret Door Bug started. 1st time alignment was CG i think. 2nd time was NG. I think Co8 tried to vary the game depending on alignment, which caused bugs. Should have ignored alignment and let peeps just play game as they wanted. Temple + is new as well, few months. Didn't have it last time i played. I am playing through widescreen tv, temple tried high resolution with a 4:3 Ratio but my tv works best at 1024x768x32 toee resolution and can't change gamma so it looks very dark and screeched out with black bars each side. Tired now so will leave at that and post again tomorrow if i can think of anything that might help.

7. hammyh

Hmm, that's more tricky. I remember playing Bioshock and Grim Dawn on an older widescreen TV: Grim Dawn was not bad but Bioshock did need a brightness adjustment.

The resolution can be manually selected via the temple+ configuration file without problems. You can try 1024x768 and maybe some others to see how that goes.

The brightness on the other hand would be through either the TV brightness or via graphics card desktop settings ->almost all cards allow for the choice between program control or manually specified desktop settings (ie, desktop brightness). So you'd select the option to go with the graphics card control over program control.

I think that you are harsh here for a fan-based expansion and a fix of a game that essentailly did not work well out of the box - even with the updated GoG version. Co8 actually solved many bugs and made the game playable. The alignment variation at start is part of the original vanilla design.

The added ghosts quest content can be buggy (I've had it work and not work) but it's not going to make or break the game. You can search through this forum for sequence particulars or make a thread requesting help.

Last edited: Aug 13, 2023
  8. mazuk3

mazuk3 Member

I have an odd bug but is not a critical one, but I want it fixed.

You know when you are in Hommlet and you walk near Brother Smyth, you can hear the sound of hammer and anvil coming from Brother Smyth, but that sound has gone and when I see closely, I remember that Brother Smyth always had his hammer in One Hand, but not, he is picking up the hammer with 2 hands, I don't know if it has anything to do with the fact that the sound of the hammer and anvil is gone.

https://postimg.cc/7GPGgBR8

9. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

If you're using Temple+, the 2-handed thing is probably my fault. I changed the animation code so that 1-handed weapons are animated in a way corresponding to the actual rules that get used for hits. So, a war hammer will be swung 2-handed if you don't have an off hand weapon or shield. This gives you bonuses like 1.5*str damage. The actual attacks were made this way in the base game, but the animations didn't match.

So, presumably the blacksmith is wielding a hammer that can be used 2-handed, and is using that animation now. I don't know what that has to do with the sound, though.

I'll think about how to fix it. The easiest would be to give him a light hammer, I think. But there are potentially other ways.

10. mazuk3

mazuk3 Member

Thank you so much Dolio!

11. dolio

dolio Established Member Supporter

I figured out how to fix it. That is a 'special' weapon attack animation that can easily be distinguished from the one used for combat.

Turns out the clanking was related, because the animation file specifies sounds to play during the animation. So playing a different animation causes the sounds to be omitted.

mazuk3 and Buffed Rabbit like this.
  12. mazuk3

mazuk3 Member

You are amazing, now the sound of Bro Smyth is back, Thank youuuuuu so muchhhh, thank youu, it seems you fixed it

13. JerryLei

JerryLei Member

I'm playing the standard pack, the Ploceus family turned hostile as my team entered their house, there was no Scorpp in the team. I loaded a previous save right before I entered Ploseus', then I tried to enter other houses but no hostile action at all. Since I knew it's the Ploceus family I must've visited them before and did the talking, why they weren't hostile the first time? I clearly didn't attack anyone in the village coz I spent most of the time kicking ass elsewhere, so why this happened is a myth.

Last edited: Jul 6, 2024
  14. JerryLei

JerryLei Member

I'm playing the standard pack, and it's getting more and more unstable after I reach level 11 and more, game crashes all the time, it crushes when the player moves, it crushes when entering a map, it just crushes, and it even crushes while I level up my lv 19 character to lv 20, I click tumble, it will crush . I already dropped co8, hoping the original will be more stable.

15. OccasionallyGood

OccasionallyGood Member

Were you playing with both Co8 and Temple+ installed? I recently finished Co8 New Content with Temple+, faced some minor bugs but had almost zero crashes.
    Though I completed my run with the party that eventually had levels 15-16, so I haven't tested any higher levels yet. Anyway, Temple+ increases level cap to 50, so I think it should provide more stability in gaining high levels.

Our Host!