Co8 5.6.0 BETA Balance

Discussion in 'The Temple of Elemental Evil' started by Gaear, Oct 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

For those of you who have played or are playing 5.6.0 (or 5.6.1) BETA, how are you finding the overall balance? I'm currently in Nulb with I think a level 5 party of 5 PCs and 2 NPCs, which seems normal.

Please share your findings, but be sure to include any abnormalities (e.g., you've reached the end of the game and are level 13, but you farmed random encounters for XP, or you didn't do any Hommlet quests, or you found the witch respawn in the Moathouse and played that, etc.)

The ideal would be around level 10 at game's end.

2. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

I was level 12, Fruella(13). Had to console the fire gem because the game kept crashing when the Balor died. I also used my EnhancedFireball spell, which is a massive cheat, but great in the water node. 5 pc's and Fruella and no protos/console except for the fire gem. The EnhancedFireball spell was a test to see how it worked in full game conditions. Did 102hp on Hedrack. He never got a chance to summon Iuz. Level 10-12 is about right for a party of 6.

3. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

And thats without the Balor's XP, I take it WizGeorge? Hmmm... I think 12 might be something to aim at Gaear (if you don't mind me saying) since the original was meant to end at 10, possibly not taking Zuggy's XP into account, and we have only made the regular encounters harder, even without additional content.

4. wizgeorge

wizgeorge Prophet of Wizardy

Never did get past the Balor and I tried several times after the CTD's. The EnhancedFireball spell really didn't have much influence one way or another. Possibly speeded-up/shortened a few encounters,maybe. I wanted to blast Z but never got the chance, friendlies too close. Holy weapons did the trick. I think you can get to level 12 without too much trouble and not use a lot random farming. Still way too much money in the game, especially gems, jewelry, rings, etc. Plenty of money to do lots of crafting and then some. I've got a new game going and I'm already level 10 and got lots more to do on levels 2,3,and 4. Actually did Target of Revenge and nobody got a scratch! Can't believe it. I've never completed that encounter so I generally avoid it. But damn near got everyone killed in the water temple. Go figure. But, I would say 12 looks good for endgame.

5. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

Finished the Water, Air and Earth Nodes (at least the guardians), with Fire left to do. Rest of Temple is cleared.
    Party is level 11-13 (xp 62000 - 82372, with crafters and resurrected characters being lowest). 6 PCs and 1 NPC. Got 130k GP left after doing a buttload of crafting (+3 SR armors, +6 amulets, +6 str belts for fighters, +3 weapons with at least 2 extra damage types for all)
    Abnormalities:
    I killed the Nulb patrons (somewhere around level 7-9)
    Some resting in the nodes (not really meant to farm XP, the goal was to get my spells back without trekking to an inn)

If I hadn't killed the Nulb party I would've probably been a level lower.

Last edited: Oct 3, 2009
  6. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Hi
    I finished last week. I thoroughly trashed the temple and the nodes (including the Fire Node). Other than scrolling problems in the Fire Node I didn't really have any problems. Finished at 13th Level with 5 PCs, plus Elmo and Melony. The PCs were 13th Level, Elmo was 12th when we fought Zuggtmoy (I had to Raise him once). I did notice the moathouse respawn was still in effect if you went through "Lareth's Secret Entrance", but didn't do anything (in other words I ducked out without fighting the witch). I did a little "EXP Farming", but not much (roughly 3,000 EXP per character: Not enough to really go up a level). I did notice that with the new design the only way to kill Iuz is to use Scather. Cuthbert would show up 2 rounds after Iuz did. I sent out my 11th Level Fighter, protected with 10 (!!) "Stoneskins", using Scather and Power Attack to deal with Iuz. At the end, the fighter had 1 Stoneskin with 50 points of Damage Reduction left). My encounters with the Balor Guardian (I replayed it once to see if I could keep Meleny's Jackal alive) went OK. In both cases I was able to kill the Balor, the 2 Efreeti, and all his summons ( the first time it was another Balor !!) without any real difficulty or gameplay issues.
    I should also point out that I did some crafting (everyone had a +3 Holy, Shocking Burst weapon, plus a wand of Stoneskin, some scrolls, and 3 belts of Giant strength +6). I just realized something else, based on the comment that S. A. made. I also cleaned out Nulb. I wiped out Rentch and Co. at the hostel, and later on went to do "Eye of the Tiger" and Tolub accused me of cheating. When I said that he just didn't like to lose, I ended up killing just about everyone in the bar except Skole and his goon.
    The Royal Canadian

7. Gaear

Hm, I have to confess that this is a little alarming. Could the CR-related overhaul account for an extra 2 - 3 levels by game's end? And how is it that players also tended to reach level 13 or so at game's end with Hickory Branch, Verbobonc, and Moathouse Respawn included? Maybe Zebedee was right.

8. Sitra Achara

Sitra Achara Senior Member

I think the bigger issue with HB/Verbobonc/Moathouse Respawn was that you could enter the Temple at around level 8-9 crammed with +2 weapons and armor and belts of giant strength and were still loaded with more gold than you knew what to do with, instead of being level 4-5 and saving for your first belt of giant's strength.

I think the original game had a similar amount of XP as it does now, except you had the level 10 cap back then. I can vaguely recall maxing out my character levels at the node stage in the pre-level 20 cap days.

Having said that, we can revisit the reduced XP awards idea.

http://www.co8.org/forum/showthread.php?t=4348

Reducing it to 40% would have you visit Hedrak at level 9 even after completing HB/V/MR.

It wouldn't hurt to have an XP-modifier slider, either.

9. Gaear

I've always found the idea of slower level advancement appealing, but wouldn't the Co8 mods still skew the progression?

10. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

Yeah, they would.

Something I've been thinking (since I'm working on a Basic module), if we calculated the amount of XP an AD&D party would have got for those encounters? Then adjust accordingly. Not every encounter in the game, but just some of the main ones, like Lareth and his goons. If it turns out back in the day of AD&D, where XP didn't get burned crafting but just got horded (and you got XP for loot as well) that people would be barely level 3 when they finished the whole of Hommlet and the Moathouse, not levels 4-5 as SA says (definitely well into 4, I think) then we tone down by the relevant percentage.

Also there's those dang bandits in the moathouse, they're level 2 fighters: thats a bit of XP to a level 1 party, methinks. They were just slobs in the module.

11. Ranth

Ranth Established Member

Is there a way to make the character cap at level ten until you kill Zuggy? After that they could proceed to 20.

12. Coorio

Coorio Jaroo's Cousin

Just finished the game by killing Zuggtmoy.

Had a party of 4 (Cleric, Druid, Bard and Wizard) + Darley in endgame. Ended up at lvl 14 (Darley remained at 10). No random XP farming, but cleared all Temple areas. Did most of Hommlet quests and all Nulb quests (except for Brothel). The game was pretty balanced until about lvl 8, after that battles became too easy. The only tough battle at higher lvls was Balor (since I couldn't use Scather against him :)

13. VentilatorOfDoom

VentilatorOfDoom Member

I played with a party of 5, no npcs, and did no random encounters at all (except 1 or 2 that I could not avoid). I finished lvl14 (halfway in 15) on non-crafters, 13 the others.
    I liked it, it's a very nice level range. Only there should be more fights like vs the Balor.

14. Gaear

Don't forget, you also took on the new high level party in Nulb.

15. VentilatorOfDoom

VentilatorOfDoom Member

ok then substract 15000 Xp, that means... one moment... yes I would have finished lvl14 on non-crafters and lvl 13 on the others.

I think the fun lvl range starts at 6/7 and goes up to approx 16/17, hence I vote for not reducing XP but to increase the difficulty of the temple instead.

Just have every temple cleric summon a balor :Being_a_s

why am I dubbed as goblin raider, it's embarassing, seriously :shame:

Last edited: Oct 8, 2009
Our Host!