Circle of Eight Modpack v5.6 Bug Report Thread

Discussion in 'General Modification' started by Gaear, Sep 2, 2009.

Remove all ads!
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
  1. Gaear

Gaear Bastard Maestro Administrator

Okay, rather than start a new bug report thread for C08 5.6, I'm just going to reopen this one, since this is all working toward the same end anyway.

I will restate the rules: your bug report must conform to the layout outlined in post 1 of this thread here, specifically this part:

1. State whether game is self-modded or not.
    2. State your operating system, service packs, and anti-virus software.
    3. State regional version of the game.
    4. State which version of Front End you're using.
    5. State which version of the modpack you're using and whether or not you're using any add-on packs.
    6. State your problem in as much detail as possible.
    Note that the above structure means that each bug report post must include numbers 1 -6.

If you submit a bug report that does not include numbers 1 - 6, it will be disregarded and moved to the 5.6 general commentary thread in the ToEE forum. I also don't want you to say "same specs as before" in subsequent bug reports. Why? Because then I have to go back and find out what your specs were from before, and I shouldn't have to do that. You people can do your part to help speed the next release along by being cooperative in this way.

Also, please don't use this thread for banter/joking/compliments/criticisms/feature requests. Virtually every other thread in these forums can be used for those things as appropriate. The only posts that should appear here are:

• bug reports
    • informed discussion on the part of informed persons (for example, if Shiningted or someone else in the know has an answer or can shed some light on a bug report, that's absolutely appropriate. What's not appropriate is LOL moments, idle speculation, hearsay, etc. I'll say again that the objective is not to be curmugeony, but to keep this thread clean so that it serves its purpose well. Please keep these limitations in mind.)
    All that said, the bug report thread is open again for bug reports and limited discussion.

2. Serius

Serius Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 & Upwards Bug Report Thread

Good day)
    I'm using not self-modded co8 5.5.0 on XP SP3, US Patch 2, front end 2.1, without any addons. I don't remember correctly if these bugs were in vanilla toee, but still all of them in 5.5.0.

1. Earth elemental unlimited summoning from Orb. Unlike any other)
    2. Righteous might gives +4 str, +2 con, while manual describes +8 str, +4 con bonus.
    3. Hedrack wield his warhammer (two-handed weapon) in single hand. Warhammer makes 1d10 dmg instead of ordinary 1d8.
    4. Female bugbear trapped in wall near Feldrin's brigands room.
    5. Character under enlarge person spell treat two-handed weapon as one-handed, so you actually can wear tower shield with it! When spell is expired you still can have two-handed weapon and shield, or even another two-handed weapon in off-hand.
    6. When you have both Jaer the Weather from Nulb and Mad Sargen in your group and entering Nulb - one of them leaves, but his icon stays so you can't take another NPC on his place.

P.S.
    I understand that you guys probably herd it many-times, but still thanks for the work you've done with toee)

Last edited: Sep 2, 2009
  3. Yosharian

Yosharian Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 5.5.0 & Upwards Bug Report Thread

1. Not self-modded, only CO8 5.6 installed
    2. Win XP, SP 2, no A-V software
    3. Dunno what region, I *got the game from a friend*.
    4. Err.. 5.6?
    5. Err.... 5.6?
    6. Problems:

1) Certain spells are producing errors when selecting in the inventory spell menu. E.g. when levelling up and picking arcane spells, I get an error message instead of the spell name. So far the spell at the top of the list (first cantrip) and a 3rd level spell (one above Fireball) are producing this error. Error message is something like "Error: missing text in line 801 of mes/spell.mes"

2) Experienced Jerk-stop around Hommlet, when trying to approach the woodcutter from the South Hommlet starting area. I solved this by fast travelling to a different area (moathouse secret exit) and then travelling back to SH - the problem disappeared. So not a huge issue, just thought you might like to know.

3) The room with all the sturges in, in the moathouse area, is bugged. Some of the sturges delay combat endlessly without doing anything (it comes to their turn and they just do nothing forever). I tried sneaking a guy in and having him backstab them all but some of them had 0 hp and couldnt be killed, also somehow they ended up teleporting outside the room at some point.

4. Gaear

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack Bug Report Thread

1. Not self-modded.
    2. Windows XP, SP 2, Avast.
    3. US.
    4. 2.2.
    5. 5.6.0 BETA, no add-on packs.
    6. The shopmap clothing chest that contains boots, gloves, hats, etc. is bugged. Choosing the 'until morning' rest option if you've purchased items from it causes a CTD.

Last edited: Sep 4, 2009
  5. Shiningted

Shiningted I want my goat back Administrator

I'll leave it to Gaear to do proper bug-tracking :)
    Welcome, Serius, thanks for the feedback.

1 & 6 sound like bugs that can be investigated.
    5 is an old issue, but I can tihnk of a fix. I suspect people will like the fix considerably less than the bug, but folks keep posting it, so...
    2 was fixed in line with the PHB description of the spell.
    3 is the way it is - Hedrack has a shield, so he is meant to weild the hammer one-handed. He's probably large sized.
    4 has been investigated many times and we just can't fix it. Sorry.
    1 I'm working on.
    2 I'm not working on, since Gaear has already tried to fix the jerk-stop stuff.
    3 I couldn't replicate - it played fine for me. All the stirges tried to latch onto a commanded skeleton, which was funny.
    I'll look at that too. :)

6. Gaear

Re: the shopmap clothing chest, I think i know what's wrong there - it just needs replaced. It's not a stacking issue again, fwiw.

7. Euangelion

Euangelion Member

1. Not self-modded
    2. 64bit Vista, SP1 AVG
    3. US
    4. -X 2.2
    5. 5.6
    6. 2 things:
    On both my homegrown wizard and Pishella, in the 0-level spells one line is listed as "Error! Missing line 804 in mes/spell.mes"
    On the Emridy Meadows map, near the Rainbow Rock, when fighting the undead there as soon as I make a ranged attack, combat freezes and the projectile/spell effect is frozen above the avatar.

8. Shiningted

Ok... the missing spell lines thing is fixed. Also, I fixed the Enlarge spell thing too - script worked first go! Love it when that happens :icon_chuc

I'm going to make a few other minor changes to bring some of the files in line with KotB and look at the other bugs mentioned before releasing a patch, which will also allow time for any other niggly little things to come out.

EDIT: Also, fought the Rainbow Rock fight about 8 times and could not replicate the above problem.

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  9. Yosharian

Yosharian Member

1. Not self-modded, only CO8 5.6 installed
    2. Win XP, SP 2, no A-V software
    3. Torrented version, unsure what region
    4. Err.. 5.6?
    5. Err.... 5.6?
    6. Problems:

a) Spells which require targets to be selected E.g. slow, when you select targets then attempt to click on the "cast spell with these targets" green button, sometimes I get a glitch which means I can't click on the button easily. Seems like the button is a bit too close to party character portraits. Found a solution after dicking around for a few minutes: move the cursor right to the top of the green button, as far to the top as you can - the button should click normally then, or at least thats what I found. This bug seemed to occur more on my wizard, perhaps the ranged attack icon is has a bigger 'footprint' and so causes the glitch?

b) Protection from energy (fire) graphical effect got 'glued' to my character; resting, recasting effect then resting, reloading savegame - nothing cleared it. Had to reload a previous save and then resting removed it. Not sure what caused the effect to be glued. Not much of a bug report this one since its probably an engine glitch, just thought I'd put it in here so people can be aware that this spell sometimes glues itself to PCs.

c) Encountered a freeze in Hommlet where my characters go into combat stance but don't actually do anything, they are unresponsive. Solution: go to the world map and click a location, the characters move to it and should unfreeze.

Last edited: Sep 6, 2009
  10. Emirkol the Chaotic

Emirkol the Chaotic Proud Polytheist

"B" appears to be the Spell Permanency bug. This is well known and there is a fix for it, using Jaroo.

"C" appears to be the dreaded "Jerk-Stop" phenomenon or the beginnings of it. This sis another well reported issue but no solutions yet...

Can't comment on "A", ATM.

Do a thread search for more info and good luck!

11. Shiningted

Someone (apparently in another thread) reported yet more issues with Jayfie. I've encountered those too, and fixed them (with much hair-pulling and screaming). Interestingly, they may not appear in everyone's game.

12. rtl42

rtl42 Member

1) unmodified Co8 Modpack 5.6.0 BETA
    2) Windows XP Home, SP2, F-Secure Anti-Virus 8.10
    3) US version
    4) TFE-X ver.2.2
    5) barebones Co8 Modpack 5.6.0 BETA (not sure how this is different from (1)...?)
    6) I have a party of 6 PCs, all level 2, and no NPCs, and I decided to just check out Emridy Meadows and see if I could finish Terjon's fed-ex quest early. I stumble on to the hill giant, and engage in combat. If I get initiative before the giant, I can fight as per usual, and everything seems normal. When it's the hill giant's turn, he charges at my party, but when he reaches the party member he's charging at, he stops and his sprite stays frozen in his running animation. The Action Bar then becomes completely greyed out, and I'm stuck, with no recourse except reloading.
    *Sometimes*, it seems that I can get him to "snap out of it" by moving the screen around, or opening some other in-game interface window and then closing it... but it's highly inconsistent, so it's more likely that he randomly "snaps out of it", rather than me having any influence on his status.
    ... That said, even if he does snap out of it, he'll only engage in (it seems) at most 2 or 3 actions before suffering another freeze, with the Action Bar greying itself out again (and combat never progressing).

I noticed in the first post that submitted save files are encouraged. Is it possible for me to attach it to my post? If so, which file(s) in the Save folder should I attach?

I also noticed that this seems a bit similar to the bug reports in posts #135 and 137, but since the way it occurred was rather different (in Emridy Meadows, as opposed to Hommlet; and no problems with projectiles), I thought it may be worth mentioning as a separate bug report.
    However, if this is just another case of the "jerk stop" bug that post #138 mentions, then I'm sorry for the redundancy.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  13. Gaear

I've reproduced and confirmed this. No idea what's going on here atm, as to my knowledge the hill giant wasn't changed at all, unless somehow he just doesn't like the new scenery at Emridy. It doesn't show any of the symptoms of jerkstop, so I'm pretty sure it's not that. There might be something related at play with the projectiles though.

[edit]

Well that was easy enough: it was the new scenery. :twitch: Guess that will have to go.

Last edited: Sep 12, 2009
  14. rtl42

rtl42 Member

sweet, that was fast!

1) unmodified Co8 Modpack 5.6.0 BETA
    2) Windows XP Home, SP2, F-Secure Anti-Virus 8.10
    3) US version
    4) TFE-X ver.2.2
    5) barebones Co8 Modpack 5.6.0 BETA (not sure how this is different from (1)...?)
    6) I can confirm post #133's stirge bug, as i just encountered the same thing. there are 8 stirges in the room in the moathouse (next to the room with the python/viper): 4 of them seem completely normal, and can be defeated; the other 4 can be attacked, and will even take damage, but their HP seems to be immediately regenerated or something. like, your hit will register and do damage, but then if you check their "damage taken" stat, it'll say 0. (this is even to the point where they will instantly resurrect if killed in one hit.)
    the sprite animation for these messed-up stirges is also different, it's their "at ease"/not-in-combat one. when stirges are in combat, their sprites flap like mad, but these 4 just flap their wings lazily about, so you should be able to visually spot them, too.

MOREOVER, i'm experiencing the same bug as i reported above, with these stirges -- greyed out Action Bar when it's the stirge's turn.
    however, upon further experimentation, based on what someone else said in the thread, i've actually found that i can somewhat consistently break out of the opponent's turn by doing the following:
    (a) mashing on the M key
    (b) bringing up another in-game interface (like the logbook)

i.e. if i only mash on M, then nothing happens; and if i only mash on L (i.e. bring up the logbook, close it, repeat...), nothing happens as well. But if i do both, alternating or whatever, for between 6-10 seconds, i can get the opponent to snap out ... and lose their turn. (What a terrible exploit...)

Hope this helps!

Last edited: Sep 15, 2009
  15. The Royal Canadian

The Royal Canadian Established Member

Re: Circle of Eight Modpack 5.6.0 General Commentary and Discussion Thread

Hi Folks
    Here's one for you. I (finally) installed 5.6 last night and created a party, and started playing. Went to the tower, talked to Burne and got his request to find the agent. Went to the construction site and started talking to everyone. I spoke with Jayfie BEFORE I spoke to the Labor Foreman. One of my options was something along the lines of "Are you Jayfie ? I was told to find him" . I selected the "Good Day" option and went and talked to the Labor Foreman, who then told me to go talk to Jayfie. When I went back to talk to Jayfie, the only dialogue option I got was "Good Day".
    TRC

[edit]

Post moved here from General Commentary and Discussion.

- Gaear

Last edited by a moderator: Sep 19, 2009
Thread Status:
Not open for further replies.
Our Host!